Anti-SACD Digital Can Suck Really Badly Super Hate Mega Post!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I miss the concept of putting vinyl on a digital format for backup purposes... I would think that if your vinyl was ruined in an avalanche or something - you wouldn't really want the digital copy of it would you? I thought the whole purpose of vinyl was to get away from that digital sound - and if you lost it - I would think the only way to get back to where you started is to purchase new vinyl... Are people really backing up their vinyl on hard drives??

I miss the concept of putting vinyl on a digital format for backup purposes... I would think that if your vinyl was ruined in an avalanche or something - you wouldn't really want the digital copy of it would you? I thought the whole purpose of vinyl was to get away from that digital sound - and if you lost it - I would think the only way to get back to where you started is to purchase new vinyl... Are people really backing up their vinyl on hard drives??
If the vinyl gets damaged and is no longer available, I would rather have a digital copy of a piece of music I like than no music at all.

If the vinyl gets damaged and is no longer available, I would rather have a digital copy of a piece of music I like than no music at all.

Yeah - I guess -... here is a sad story... I had about 150 records from mid
60's to mid 80's ... original Beatles albums - The White Album with all the original artwork etc...I had them in my basement in a closet on a wooden riser... Well, my wife decides she needs a place for pots and pans.... so I move the records on the floor - off the riser... and, of course, I get about 1 inch of water on the floor in the basement one day......no digital copy can replace that...and I know all of you vinyl folks know EXACTLY what I am talking about.... I get your drift on the copy... but if anything happens - the only way back to vinyl is thru vinyl -- you won't be satisfied with anything else.... :(

of course, I get about 1 inch of water on the floor in the basement one day......no digital copy can replace that...:(
Did you try cleaning them using a record cleaner? Would be worth a shot, I think.

Did you try cleaning them using a record cleaner? Would be worth a shot, I think.

I was an idiot... this happened probably right before vinyl started to become popular again - and you couldn't even find - for example, record sleeves...or at least I couldn't. Imagine ...gulp.... dare I say it ... taking your collection and bringing it out to the garbage one day for pickup....No man should go thru that!!!

Last edited:
I was an idiot... this happened probably right before vinyl started to become popular again - and you couldn't even find - for example, record sleeves...or at least I couldn't. Imagine ...gulp.... dare I say it ... taking your collection and bringing it out to the garbage one day for pickup....No man should go thru that!!!

Jesus Timm... where's the crying emoticon?

Many years ago, I left a copy of Joy Division's 1st album (Warsaw - pre Unknown Pleasures) on the back seat of my car during the summer. It got warped beyond belief. I was incredibly fond of it. This was a fantastic quality bootleg, really well cut on really thick vinyl.

I bought another copy but it just wasn't the same quality pressing - even though it was on the same RZM Productions label. Might well have been a bootleg - of the bootleg!:)

Jesus Timm... where's the crying emoticon?

Many years ago, I left a copy of Joy Division's 1st album (Warsaw - pre Unknown Pleasures) on the back seat of my car during the summer. It got warped beyond belief. I was incredibly fond of it. This was a fantastic quality bootleg, really well cut on really thick vinyl.

I bought another copy but it just wasn't the same quality pressing - even though it was on the same RZM Productions label. Might well have been a bootleg - of the bootleg!:)

Well - you are right....:sad: nobody knew the connection I had with those records ....:sad: Don't know if any of you guys saw the movie 'Diner' where the guy is telling his wife not to touch his records.... that is a great scene - but is sort of how I felt....

Timm,

What no Insurance coverage?

That is a sad state of affairs. Sounds to me like you blame her. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

You know what they say.

What she doesn't know, can't hurt you!

and the best one....

Can't live with them and can't...killem.:D

That's why we as audiophiles need to insure, insure, insure!!

In the end to, Bernard is right - a digital copy is better than no music - especially for music that is irreplaceable - on vinyl OR CD - and there's plenty of that.

Timm,

What no Insurance coverage?

That is a sad state of affairs. Sounds to me like you blame her. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

You know what they say.

What she doesn't know, can't hurt you!

and the best one....

Can't live with them and can't...killem.:D

Water damage - and insurance .... just try to collect.... First of all most insurance policies cover water damage - if it comes from the INSIDE of the house... You know - you leave a faucet on for 5 days with the sink stopped up - or, the toilet overflows ....or if a pipe bursts... Try getting coverage for a leaky wall - or from water that comes up thru the drain... that is 'outside' water. Secondly, things like records,baseball cards or any type of collection is not covered.

Nah - I don't really blame her - what good does blame do? But - of course you have those thoughts of....'if she wouldn't have...or why did I do that?' all of that stuff....The good part is - I can get most of the records at stores for a reasonable price...

Secondly, things like records,baseball cards or any type of collection is not covered.

It is possible to insure records and other collections. Talk with your insurance company (you might need to pay a supplement, much the same as with expensive jewellery).

Latest posts

Back