Anthem AVM 70 as replacement for Emotiva XMC-1 processor?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Narcosis

Reaction score
I bought a refurbished XMC-1 when I was acquiring components for my system. Over the past 1.5 years I've experienced a few odd glitches, which I've narrowed down to the processor. My system is a modest 5 channel setup, and have been considering an Anthem AVM 70.

For those here who run an AVM 70, would you share you impressions & reviews of this component?

Lesson learned: buy new when possible, warranties can be important...

Cheers!

I do not have an anthem avm 70 (yet) but I'm in the similar situation only have a 5.1 channel set up and considering my first processor and the AVM 70 is one of my considerations, along with the Monolith HTP-1, Emotiva XMC-2, and Marantz 7706. Emotiva processors have their glitches that's something sadly you have to deal with when buying one. The AVM 70 would be much more stable, I haven't read many (if any) users having problems with the anthem.

The other thing to consider is the AVM 70 will be upgradable to hdmi 2.1 (hopefully with the same board in the avm 90), there is some chance the XMC-1 will get a modified hdmi 2.1 board that will be similar to their new line of processors but it was a 'maybe' from the insiders over at the emotiva lounge forum. Not sure if that is a concern for you besides stability.

I would say definitely go for the Anthem, if I could I would buy one today, many say that it was better than the Marantz 7706 and 8805A. Not sure about the XMC-2 but then the XMC-2 has many issues and bugs Emotiva is still ironing out and will be forever probably just like your XMC-1. I've heard the Monolith is really good, probably one of the best processors out there but good luck, they are usually never in stock and once in a while you can find a used one for sale.

I also have no experience with the Anthem. On the Monolith, I've read some horror stories about updates bricking the hardware, and that sounds like a bad combo with inventory availability problems.

I had a mid-level Marantz AVR before my current Emotiva RMC-1. Despite the, uh, personality of the RMC-1's glitches, the sound it produces is head and shoulders better than the Marantz. I recall reading the sound quality was also better than the higher end Marantz products.

I think you're looking at a potentially good solution with the Anthem, though personally I think Dirac is much more capable than ARC. If you want Dirac... well, you have to put up with some other compromises.

I've always been a fan of the Anthem AVMs... Had an AVM 2 which sounded fantastic for both HiFi stereo listening, and 5.1 HT.
Replaced it with an MRX-500 (had to downsize to please the (now ex-) wife!
Building back up.. I have an AVM50V and some Bryston 4B-STs waiting in the wings to get installed & configured - so much to do with my new-found freedom, so little time! The AVM 50V is meant as a temporary fill-in... looking to get into the newer generation AVMs once (a) fundage is available, and (b) reliability & real-world reviews are in. Driving SL3's/Stage/Aerius/Earthquake Supernova 12 5.1 system

Any Anthem processor users here?
I have an Anthem AVM60 & love it. Yesterday, I gave my dealer the go ahead & cash to order an Anthem AVM90 & he agreed to take my AVM60 in on trade. He gave me the average eBay selling price for it, which I thought was fair.

I own a XMC-2 and fortunately have not had any of those odd glitches many speak about. Have owned it for a little over a year. I had a Marantz and then a pioneer elite which then came the XMC-2. I do love it and strongly considered the Anthem AVM70 however the biggest reason I went with the XMC-2 is I wanted DIRAC as I am a huge fan of it over ARC. My subs and speaker do have ARC built in too so I do run that on top of DIRAC. I will say regardless its a tough call.

Longtime AVM 60 user. I've been very happy with it. It was a huge upgrade over the Yamaha Aventage AVR that it replaced. At that time, the ARC version was ARC 2, and it was noticeably better than the other packages I'd used up to that point (YPAO, MCACC, Audyssey, etc.) ARC Genesis had some growing pains when it first came out, but it seems pretty solid now. I've never used Dirac so can't compare, but from things I've read, the general consensus seems to be that Dirac is more powerful with the ability to tweak more "things" where ARC Genesis is easier to use, but limited in what you can adjust. I'm not a big fan of room correction above the bass frequencies (I feel it changes the natural voicing of the speaker too much) so I limit ARC to 250Hz and below in my system.

I think it's probably been about 5 years now that I've had my AVM 60, and still no strong urge to upgrade. My only real criticism of the 60 is that, while it does support multiple subwoofers, it treats them as a single sub, so no independent sub settings in the AVM 60 or in ARC. If I recall correctly, the AVM 70/90 does have the capability to treat 2 subwoofers as individual subs, including automatic phase and polarity adjustments.

You nailed it! The AVM70 has the capability to treat 2 subwoofers as individual subs; the AVM 90 can treat 4 subwoofers. That benefit, and better DAC's, drew me to the AVM 90, as I have 4) REL HT/1508 subs in the front & 2) REL HT/1508 subs in the rear, all XLR connected.

I’ve had a AVM 60 for many years and waited for about a year to get one of the first AVM90. Anthem has been great and the 90 blows me away with how good the sound is.

You nailed it! The AVM70 has the capability to treat 2 subwoofers as individual subs; the AVM 90 can treat 4 subwoofers. That benefit, and better DAC's, drew me to the AVM 90, as I have 4) REL HT/1508 subs in the front & 2) REL HT/1508 subs in the rear, all XLR connected.

Not to take this thread too far off track, but can you share some more info about your experience with the REL's? I've been considering getting a pair of 1508's to replace an aging Velodyne DD15. What speakers do you have yours paired with? I'd be pairing them with 11A's for dual duty 2-channel music and multi-channel HT.

For what it's worth, I ordered and paid for an Anthem MRX540 on March 30 from a reputable dealer and... you can guess the rest, it hasn't been delivered. I know that these issues aren't unique to any particular company, just be aware if you want something up and running soon it might not play out that way. I'm still hoping to join the "I love my Anthem" crowd that is well-represented here.

For what it's worth, I ordered and paid for an Anthem MRX540 on March 30 from a reputable dealer and... you can guess the rest, it hasn't been delivered. I know that these issues aren't unique to any particular company, just be aware if you want something up and running soon it might not play out that way. I'm still hoping to join the "I love my Anthem" crowd that is well-represented here.
Has anyone given you a ballpark figure on the ETA? Most places seem to be 90 days.

Not to take this thread too far off track, but can you share some more info about your experience with the REL's? I've been considering getting a pair of 1508's to replace an aging Velodyne DD15. What speakers do you have yours paired with? I'd be pairing them with 11A's for dual duty 2-channel music and multi-channel HT.
Here are the speakers that are paired with my REL HT/1508:

Martin Logan Electrostatics:
2) ReQuests Front Left, (2 for double surface area & power handling capability)
2) ReQuests Front Right, '' '' '' '' '' '' ''
2) Logos Center (one above / one below 12' screen to achieve center of screen sound effect).
2) SL3 R & L Rear;
2) Stylos: R & L Front Side
2) Stylos R & L Rear Side

Atmos:
2) Paradigm CI Elite E65-R Front / Mid Ceiling
2) Paradigm CI Elite E65-R Mid / Rear Ceiling

Subwoofers:
2) REL HT/1508 Left Front - XLR Connected
2) REL HT/1508 Right Front- XLR Connected
1) REL HT/1508 Left Rear- XLR Connected
1) REL HT/1508 Right Rear- XLR Connected

I purchased & used these subwoofers before choosing REL:
Velodyne
ULD 15 Servo Sub (fair low frequency excursion; but not a good pairing with Martin Logans).
Velodyne ULD 18 THX Servo Sub (great low frequency excursion, but not a good pairing with Martin Logans: too slow response).
Sunfire True Sub (12", 1000 Watt by Bob Carver). (Very fast response; mid bass pairs well with Martin Logan, but needs more attack).
Infinity Sub (10" - do not recall the model #). (Very fast, but seriously lacks low frequency excursion).

REL HT/1508 Performance is beyond words. (Ultra fast response that is amazingly faster than most 12" subs; attack that will shake you in your reclined theatre seat; extremely low frequency excursion; accuracy in frequency response; blends seamlessly with Martin Logan). I suggest you look for HT/1508 and grab them if you can find any remaining on sale, because REL tweaked the design slightly & replaced them with the HT/1510. It is important to note that the HT/1508 can be connected with a variety of options. I chose XLR my existing Anthem AVM 60 to all subs (& Krell FPB Amps) for lowest loss & hum elimination. The REL sub below this model does not offer XLR connectivity.

E48F0124-C45A-4117-AC0C-9F3A30C6F81F.jpeg

Compare this to the anthem AVR, see any similarities?!?

I contacted the dealer just after I posted and lo and behold it's in and on its way to me. Total time from order to delivery will be a bit over 100 days.
That seems about the industry standard on a lot of stuff that is high demand. Sad, but thats reality as it stands today. I hope thing get better in the future.

I bought a refurbished XMC-1 when I was acquiring components for my system. Over the past 1.5 years I've experienced a few odd glitches, which I've narrowed down to the processor. My system is a modest 5 channel setup, and have been considering an Anthem AVM 70.

For those here who run an AVM 70, would you share you impressions & reviews of this component?

Lesson learned: buy new when possible, warranties can be important...

Cheers!

I would say - if you plan to stick with 5.1 setup AVM70 is maybe even an overkill. There even simple Denon/Marantz with pre-amp functionality will do similar job for much less money. Especially Denons seem to be very well engineered.

If the design is not broken - what really differentiates 2 AVR/AVP's is DRC system. My experience is that ARC is not really up there with the best. That includes subwoofer optimization and Masterpiece bass section. I get better results with REW and MiniDsp than with ARC for Subs. [although it is excellent option to have, if the rest of your setup is "analogue"]

If you plan to grow your system in the the future [especially the count of subwoofers] - you should maybe consider another options [e.g. AVP with Dirac DLBC functionality or option].

But I agree - AVR and AVP's are right now a tough choice - you have well engineered options with weaker DRC [Denon/Marantz/Anthem] or not so reliable [EMotiva/Monolith] with superior DRC. Or you are left with high-end stuff like TRINNOV or Storm Audio. Not an easy choice today.

I get better results with REW and MiniDsp than with ARC for Subs. [although it is excellent option to have, if the rest of your setup is "analogue"]

I can't speak to how well the new Anthem AVM 70/90 models handle multiple subs, but with my AVM 60, I have to agree. I'm using a miniDSP 2X4HD with REW-generated curves to calibrate dual subs and it produces far better results than I got with ARC. That said, I do use ARC for the sub sections on my 11A's and it does a very nice job. The advantage there being that only the bass section below the panel/woofer crossover point is corrected and the stat panel is left untouched.

I've got an AVM70.. absolutely LOVE it. I moved from Anthem Statement D2 to the AVM70 and EVERYTHING about the 70 is better.. separation of channels especially is very noticeable.
There is no on-screen setup.. it's all done thru a browser, which is VERY intuitive and powerful.. Running ARC is also MUCH easier now. It also boots up SUPER fast compared to the D2.
Video processing is much better too.. NO regrets.. I love Anthem stuff.

Back