System #235 (CLS IIa)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhd1953

Reaction score
Richard DeFer.. AKA.. rhd1953

Martin Logan: CLS IIa
Purchased: 1989 new, replaced stators 1998.
ML Dynamo 300 (two)
ML Encore TF

PRE: Anthem AVM 20 (two)

AMP: classDaudio Studio Mastering Audio Amplifier
Apt Power Amplifier 1

Turntables: Technics SL-10 (linear arm) 1976
Numark PRO TT-2 1998
Maplenoll Athena (air bearing) 1988
TT arms: Eminent Technology Tonearm-2
upgrading to Clearaudio Tangent Tonearm
cartridge: Grado TLZ

Tuner: Pioneer TX-9500

CD Recorder: Sony CDR-W33(died)

Reel to Reel: TEAC 6300, Technics 1500 & 1506 (all 1/2 tracks), Otari MX5050 B2HD

Headphones: STAX SRD-4 (electrostatic)

Backups: PRE: Audio Research SP-9, Apt Holman (2), Carver CT-17, Carver C-1 (two)

My primary audio sources are pc audio files. Copied from tapes, cds, records, and youtube. Plan on copying record to digital when I finish my basement. I have about 1400 records (Rock, Pop rock, easy listening, new age, classical). I prefer linear arm TT's and the "air bearing" turntable. I have 4-5 dozen 10" 1/2 trk tapes.

I normally taped "compilations" from my records to reel to reel. Now they would be called "play lists". Starting in 1972, with 1/4 trk@ 7 1/2 ips and in the 1980's 1/2 trk@ 7 1/2 or 15 ips, these reel to reel tapes were easily dubbed to cassettes. I'm so old that I remember when radio stations would play entire (newly released) records on the air to be taped!

CLS's sound better with the Amotive AVM 20 pre-processor and a new classDaudio SMA Amplifier, the APT 1 power amp sounded just as good, but the fuse blew and it hasn't powered up with the replaced fuse. I also set the Anthem AVM 20 to roll off the CLS's at 160 hz. The Anthem connectors are all XLR, no tv connection yet.

I've added 2 pairs of JBL 8330 (Surround Foreground Music System) and ML Dynamo 300 subs for a home theater configuration, using the CLS's as the main speakers. These are driven by 2 Crown XLS 1000 amps and ML Encore TF/ driven by an Emotiva miniX a-100 amp.

Attachments

• TT with linear arm0841sized.jpg
    TT with linear arm0841sized.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,181
Last edited:
What a wonderfully eclectic assemblage of devices!! And that rack! Thank God you're in Iowa and far away from EarthquakeLAnd!! BTW, nobody on this forum is allowed to be older than me (66) I had one of the first Maplenoll Athenas. It was delivered personally by the builder, whose name I've long forgotten!

Last edited:
Welcome to the club, Richard. Very nice preamp; I own the same (the Mk II version).

Welcome , I am new to the world of CLS but long with Logans.

Welcome ! ......Holly Molly, be carefull not to trip over the wires !!

How about a pic of the rest of your system ??

Welcome to a fellow Apt Hollman owner (I still have one in storage as a "backup"). Always good to see another vinyl junkie too.

I agree witrh Dave though - how about a shot of the whole system, or at least the speakers - it is a Martin Logan forum after all.

Well, I just changed my setup 180 degrees.

I just swapped everything 180 degrees and am eliminating unused equipment (from the listening/living room). I'm still making changes.

The tall rack was for security and tape recording:
-Despite 2 burglaries in the 1980's when I lived in Phoenix and Tempe AZ, none of my stereo equipment (rack mounted) was taken...too much work/needed allen wrenches. They didn't want the Technics 1400 turntable.
-When taping to reel to reel, I like everything at "working" height. Since I no longer tape, I'm considering a basic "recording studio" work station setup (no tall rack).

Yes, I'm doing cable cleanup and have extra cables on hand for now. I'll hide the extras in the closet later. Just a little more time, please.

Ok, side view of the CLS's. I'm thinking of sending the carpet out for cleaning...so I didn't put anything on the carpet.
I know my "weights" will be loved (by the railroadies out there). there's one for each speaker! Nothing will tip my CLS's over, though (I'm not letting anyone "tackle" the CLS's though).

Attachments

• CLS(side view)0801sized.jpg
    CLS(side view)0801sized.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,081
  • CLSweights_0839sized.jpg
    CLSweights_0839sized.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,226
I know my "weights" will be loved (by the railroadies out there). there's one for each speaker!

Cool, now all you need is a locomotive sound effects Lp playing !

CLS 2a, Emotiva MMC-1, home theater

My CLS's have moved...to Rock Island, IL (now am a home owner...hey buddy can you spare me a dime?).

They sit on the floor in an 11' 15' living room (just an 8' ceiling).

Now powered by Crown XLS1000 (class D power amp) rated at 215 watts@8 ohms and 550 watts@2 ohms. I no longer have a 'arc' problems at the connecting wires! The source must be very clean..if it isn't it's obvious immediately. Yeah, strange to use an AR SP-9 into a class D power amp, but the CLS sounds better than ever (with no sub woofers, either).

I'm currently sourcing all my music from my pc, using VLC media player exclusively. If you haven't checked YouTube music video lately there are some impressive downloads.

I use Firefox Browser with various download plugins and tracker blocking plugins. Any GIS people out there will know the "down load them all" plugin...great for downloading numerous lidar or ortho photo files.

P.S. the locomotive sounds are from the Mystic Moods Orchestra, of course!

Attachments

• Front of Room(11'x18')-2Jan2013.jpg
    Front of Room(11'x18')-2Jan2013.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 494
  • Electronics-overview-2Jan2013.jpg
    Electronics-overview-2Jan2013.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Back