Another Weird Room Layout

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdolen

Reaction score
My basement renovation that started as a family room/kids room ended up also becoming "my" room once I became a ML owner again. I originally picked up a cheap projector and screen because of a great deal I could not pass up and now have spent thousands on gear. The problem is the room is such a weird layout, I just can't get my setup sounding right and possibly never will. I'm looking to see if anyone might have a few suggestions to help. Right now the room is bare, not a picture or treatment aside from some blackout curtains on the small basement windows and a small area rug.

I'm attaching a quick floorplan I drew up and some real world pictures. (sorry for the poor iPhone pics)
first-design.jpg
The biggest problem is the right speaker with no wall next to it. Really screws up imaging. This is an old picture, the Claritys are another 1-2 feet out from the wall as is the Cinema i and unfortunately the couch is closer to the left Clarity. (There is an electric projection screen in the ceiling between the Claritys.

IMG_1119.jpg

Newer pic with screen and sub.

IMG_1084.jpg

This shows how much distance between the right speaker and the closest wall.

IMG_1121.jpg

Back of room

IMG_1120.jpg

I'm thinking of buying 2 x 24x48x2" acoustic panels to put behind the main speakers to the left and right of the screen and possibly a 24x24 for behind the Cinema i. Possibly at a later date also adding some down the left wall.

I was thinking one or two GIK 32"x72" screen panels might work for the right speaker.

I don't expect miracles in this room as I will never be a real listening room, I just want to clear up movie dialog and imaging a bit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, even if it's get rid of dipoles and go with a conventional speaker.

Last edited:
Very difficult room indeed. Because of the unusual shape, the room will never sound "right" due the the grossly different bounce of the sound waves off of the side walls (or lack there of on the right). I can only think of two options.

First, wall up the area to the upper right and put a door so you can go out. You can maybe use it as a storage room for the electronics or media? This is probably not what you want to do.

Second, you can do some extreme sound dampening on the wall to the left and use some kind of movable dampening wall on the right. If you are able to eliminate all the sound bouncing off the side walls, you would essentially fix your problem (or come close at least).

The couch is another problem. You basically have a huge sound dampener on the left. Maybe take the corner piece out, and make two rows (like in a movie theater).

You essentially have to eliminate the asymmetry of the room acoustics. That means building walls, or creating "non-reflection" zones in the area of asymmetry. I hope this helped.

I like Invenio's idea of making two rows out of the couches. If this room is primarily to be used for A/V, that seems like a good way to go (though I guess your couches would then be one-armed). May need a step-up platform for the rear row.

Thanks guys so much for taking the time to reply. I'm trying to talk the wife into ditching the big sectional and picking up a 3 or 4 seat Berkline Theater seating or something similar. We both hate the couch and there is only three of us in the house and if we had some comfy seating, we might all use the room more. I wish I had kept the Pella wood room divider that was there when I demoed the basement but I had know idea I would end up with Martin Logans again back then, it would have been perfect as a pseudo wall. All things considered, it does not sound as bad as one would think right now and I think I can live with it since I'll still have the same problem with most of the other speakers I would choose if I were to replace the MLs. I think I might try a DIY version of the GIK screen panels I linked in the first post to divide the room by the right speaker. I could build them floor to ceiling out of 2 x 4s and Roxul and wrap them in some GOM fabric and hang them from a closet door track so that they slide out of the way, or even use a bi-fold closet door and attach 1-2" insulation on side, cover it in fabric and leave the other side as a closet door. Hmmmm, now the wheels are turning. :)

sdolen-
Whatever choice you make, keep us informed and post some pics of your completed project. Good luck!

I'd also send your info to GIK Acoustics and ask their advice. They were very helpful to me and their advice made a tremendous difference in my system's sound quality.

How about a portable temporary wall-segment.. a 4x8 of plywood stood on end, see what happens, match the distances on the other side, push it out of the way when the wife gets home.

Latest posts

Back