another new guy needs advise

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biko9502

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just found and joined the site. First caught the ML bug a while back when I had a pair of Sequel IIs driven by VTL amps. I am currently planning to build another system based around CLS I/IIs and have a couple of questions.

What are the main issues that I have to look out for in buying a used pair of CLS's? What are the major differences between the different iterations (a to z)? Generally, how long do the panels last before they need to be replaced?

Eventually, I'd like to try to cross over the CLS's to a pair of Maggie Tympani bass panels or a quick sub. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide. Happy to be a part of the group.

First of all welcome

It is indeed a loaded question. I guess it depends on which model of CLS you get. The older models were harder to drive. The CLSii versions (A & Z) were easier to drive and did a bit better bass. The older versions did not have the spar arrangement as the newer versions.

Depending on the environment the speakers were in really depends on how they have aged over the years. As a swag, I would say the panels will last 10 to 15 years depending on external factors.

Enjoy us here in the looney bin

Jeff:cool:

Unless you find a pair with newly replaced panels, I'd be prepared to get new panels if I were you.. just so you can start fresh and never have to wonder if they sounded better when they were newer.

thanks for the info

Thanks for the info. As I kind of suspected, it sounds like I should try to find the latest version or one where the panels have been recently replaced. I just didn't know if any of the various older CLS II iterations were considered "better" (whatever that means).

I look forward to being a member.

Latest posts

Back