Amp upgrade ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
watts v current

You want more current not necessarily more watts. Tried and true amps like cj, arc,vtl. They know how to do it. You'll get that slam i thonk you're looking for.
Gregadd:cool:

It´s ok I grew up in sweden so I understand abit swedish :)

I have been playing abit with the tubes and found out that I like the EL34 more than I like the KT88 tubes. I feel that the bass is more refined and less boomy with EL34

My 20 watt a channel Jolida is doing quite well powering my Vistas in a condo. Given the speaker's claimed sensitivity of 90db (and disregarding the speaker's own dynamic compression) 20 watts should be good for over 100db, that's pretty loud.

I wonder how loud some of you guys are playing your speakers and in what sized rooms. I also wonder if some of the big amps used aren't producing more heat than sound.

Last edited:
not too loud

My 20 watt a channel Jolida is doing quite well powering my Vistas in a condo. Given the speaker's claimed sensitivity of 90db (and disregarding the speaker's own dynamic compression) 20 watts should be good for over 100db, that's pretty loud.

I wonder how loud some of you guys are playing your speakers and in what sized rooms. I also wonder if some of the big amps used aren't producing more heat than sound.

It depends on the music you play,ie dynamic range,softest to loudest,if more than 20db you need more quality power but your speakers are more efficent than previous range,min i would recommend 100 to 150watt TUBE amp and if for HT, 200 PLUS.I have prodigy,s with audio research ref 600mkIII,and the improvements the amp brought always amaze me.For music your amp is good,big tube amps that are very good,cost big $,i like them so much,might get another 4?,ps my room is very toasty.regards victor:bowdown:

Just a comment. You have a cd player, I see that, but I would like to point out that resolution from a cd can be "tuned" with an external dac. Cambridge makes the Dac Magic which beats costly cd players, and really, a cd player is only a transport and a dac.....
I bought my last cd player 5 years ago, and now it resides in the addict....

Back