Amp/Pre-amp Music/HT advice needed :) (I read the stickies)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frustrum

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I know it's the most asked question and am hoping to get some personalized advice :rocker: (I read the stickies). Thanks in advance for any advice/info.

System that is staying:
Fronts: Ascents
Rears: Aeirus i
Sub: Descent
Screen: JVC-RS 136" screen
Mostly HT, but hoping to get more music in after I upgrade.

Looking for an awesome pre/pro and amp combo that matches well. I had a Marantz (now dying) powering the rears and a Conrad Johnson Sonographe (loved it!) driving the fronts. Air air air and imaging -- I'm probably not alone in that value system since we are all ML fans here.

I'm thinking Pass XA60.5 monoblocks as amps? I've never had class A, but the qualities associated with those are what I want. Anyone think I'll need bigger to play at reference volumes? What other amps would you put in the mix? Anthem P5? Bryston?

And the pre/pro is where I'm more worried. I feel like a quality amp with flat line response and lots of current should handle my speakers, but now I'm in the situation of trying to match it to go pre/pro and judge them independently somehow? Any advice on how to approach this? I feel like I could get someone to give me an in-room trial of the amps I want to try -- but if it sucks is it the pre/pro or the actual amp? Or I could just get a mid-tier AVR and use it to test amps, or then move that AVR to another system later?

Anyway, head is spinning a bit on how to break into components. I was thinking Krell Foundation on the low-end for pre/pro -- I really like the instant HDMI switching. Then there is the Classe SSP-800, or just go all Bryston (SP3 & 9B SST?). Other options? I don't want any video processing, just awesome audio and HDMI video pass-through.

Or just get the short list and go used from Audiogon as they pop up -- let the first to appear and the best deal win -- under the theory that it's all good at this level.

Thanks again for any and all help. :confused:
Can't wait to listen to ML system again, getting depressed limping along in 2 channel land with an old underpowered peachtree.:ROFL:

One more data point. Many years ago (over 5) I heard a pair of Ascents in a treated room connected to some Krell gear and it was the best thing I ever heard. Sadly I should have taken notes for later when I could afford something, but it was so out my league I couldn't imagine spending big money on amplification. I don't know how much sonic improvement was the amplification, the treatment, or the massive space from the rear wall -- but the speakers literally disappeared.

Thanks.

I have heard the EM-ESL with anthem MRX 510 receiver, the sound was great only there was not much low frequency and vocals were suppressed. My guess is the receiver was not properly set up. This receiver sound was better in characteristics than anthem integrated, example imaging, detail, transparency, em-ESL disappeared etc. Launched last year October 15 are 2,3 and 5 channel power amps by Anthem. If these power amps are more powerful versions of the amplification found in anthem receivers we are in for a treat at a reasonable price.

The Sander's Mark 2 power amp I have heard much praise for on this forum and in the absolute sound.

Anthem co. was formerly Sonic Frontiers. SF is famous for great preamps. Anthem has come out with a new multichannel preamp processor priced at 2999. AVM 60.

Conclusion
Anthem is sister company of ML. I would audition the new stuff from Anthem. May be just right for you without breaking the bank.

Have fun listening to music!:music:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well. You say mostly HT.... So are you looking for a digital processor or a two channel rig?

Are u looking for a 5 channel amp that will handle 5 stats? I don't see your center listed.

If you are thinking two channel - I have not heard a single complaint about Pass. I personally love Logan's with tube pre amps and solid state amps. I have a Cary slp98p pre and a sunfire signature cinema grand which I use to bi amp my Odysseys. The used sunfire signatures do a swell job with the Logan's. But lots of choices.

Thanks for the info guys. Why do you think of Anthem as a sister company of ML?

Well. You say mostly HT.... So are you looking for a digital processor or a two channel rig?

Are u looking for a 5 channel amp that will handle 5 stats? I don't see your center listed.

Digital processor, bluray lossless, HDMI passthrough. I don't run a center channel -- I don't really believe in them and have found my fronts do a great job of putting vocals in the center as needed. I want quality power amp for the fronts, which will be used for music and HT... the amplification for the rears can be lesser I would think... or can be off an AVR possibly.

If you can afford, though expensive purchase Sander's Mark 2 for the fronts. 4.5k.

For the rear get the Anthem MCA 225. 2k. 600 watts @ 2 ohms.

Anthem MRX 510, my assessment is under-powered for driving panels in large rooms.

However the above Anthem sounded transparent, detailed, imaged like a fountain throws water in a circle

around itself, and the loudspeakers disappeared. The newer power amp seems to be a more

powerfull version of Anthem MRX 510.

Not heard both however after reading info available on the net both are worth auditioning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anthem and Paradigm both related to Martin Logan. Exactly how I do not know.

my guess is ,because I do not know, that ML owns more than 50% of common stock of

Anthem company and Paradigm company. Again I do not know for certain.

Have fun listening to music!:music:

frustum,

I don’t have specific gear or brand suggestions for you now, only general guidelines which work well for me:

Focus on getting the front L/R/C. It will benefit music and HT. The rear/surround is less important. For best stereo music enjoyment, avoid surround signal processing by the pre-pro. Connect surround sources to the pre-pro. Connect stereo sources to a dedicated stereo pre-amp with HT bypass. Connect the front L/R pre-pro outputs to the bypass input on the pre-amp. Connect a dedicated stereo amp or two mono blocks to the pre-amp and the front L/R speakers. Get a multi-channel power amp for the rear channels. If you run a center channel, either run it off the same multi-channel amp, or get a dedicated mono block center amp. (That depends on your HT expectations/requirements.) Four subs are better than one for HT. Room treatment.

This gives you a stereo system which is at the same time independent as well as integrated with the HT part. And a HT system with a very capable front line. And many upgrade paths.

Back