Center speaker question - Motif or Stage?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzs70

Reaction score
Hello All!

This is my first post here, I am a happy new owner of a pair of Montis speakers. I bought them together with an Anthem STR integrated about a month ago.
I am really satisfied with the stereo setup in every way, like these speakers very much!

Recently also added an Anthem D2V processor and a ML Motif center speaker to the system, along with 2 small Quad surrounds, driven by 3x Marantz MA-500 Monoblocks.
In the HT mode the Anthem STR is connected to the D2V as a power amp for the fronts, and there is REL Strata 5 sub as well.

I have lots of blu-ray music concerts, mainly jazz and classical, and I don’ find the Motif/Marantz combination good enough in the system compare to the Montis/Anthem fronts. So for music I don’t use the center channel at all, for movies it is OK. So I am thinking about upgrading it to a Stage center and moving the Motif back as a surround, and replacing the old Marantz monoblock’s with a newer Anthem power amp.

Before doing anything I would like to hear some expert’s opinion about it:

• Is it realistic to expect such a significant upgrade with the Stage that I might be able to use the full 5.1 system for music content too? Or even in that case the Montis fronts would be better without the Stage?
• Regarding the power amps, I have been offered an Anthem PVA-4 for the center and surrounds, but I am not sure if that’s good enough for a Stage center. The other option is an MCA-325 which has more or less the same spec as my STR

Unfortunately I can’t test these possible upgrades in my system as they are not available locally, I would have to order them online….

Thanks!

The center is hardest channel to get 'right' as ideally, it should be identical to the L/R speakers. So it's usually a compromise of some kind, and my advice has always been to get the biggest / best center your can afford and live with its compromises.

Noe, I'll let folks who've actually transitioned from a Motif to something else voice their opinions on levels of change. I've not heard the Montis in a system, but the Stage is quite nice. Newer models are better though.

As for amplification, it can be a limiter on performance, and in your case, I'm guessing the MA-500 is a limiter, as it has poor 8 -> 4 Ohm ratings, 125W at 8 and only 180w at 4. With the low impedance loads of the ESL, I'd guess the amp is stressing, and you are hearing that.

Given your setup, I'd recommend selling the STR and obtaining an MCA-325 to power the three front speakers, and just live with a the simpler setup of the D2v running everything and having equal amps / power to all three fronts.

Thanks for your detailed recommendations, I will definately consider them! The STR is quite new though and I was told the D2V would not give the same results in stereo mode....the only way to check this to get a MCA and compare them in my system, will try to do that...

FWIW, I had a similar question and spoke to ML direct. I was looking at the Motif X vs the first gen Stage. Their answer was the Stage would be a better match for my Montis while the Stage X would be even better.

FWIW, I had a similar question and spoke to ML direct. I was looking at the Motif X vs the first gen Stage. Their answer was the Stage would be a better match for my Montis while the Stage X would be even better.

Thanks for that info, will try to finde a Stage X...

Back