AMP ideas for the Aeon I

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am running a Pass Labs X150 (not .5) in a smallish, bright room with some Vantages that I picked up for $1700 off the 'gon. I have yet to dial it past 9:00 so there seems to be power to spare in my set-up. Just a thought for a low(er) cost option out there.

I am running a Pass Labs X150 (not .5) in a smallish, bright room with some Vantages that I picked up for $1700 off the 'gon. I have yet to dial it past 9:00 so there seems to be power to spare in my set-up. Just a thought for a low(er) cost option out there.

Yea. The 150 would do. The only thing that I have against the Pass Labs, is the brightness. That also might have been as a result of the front end components.
I have a tube player and pre, so that might not be an issue in my setup, of course the only way to me sure is to get one here.

I was able to convince my cousin to bring his Classe ca-201 over, so I'll be able to hear that + the monarch amps.

The only thing that I have against the Pass Labs, is the brightness. That also might have been as a result of the front end components.

I haven't detected that same brightness with my X150, even in a room with plenty of hard surfaces all around. Perhaps, therefore, the Cary tubed pre has indeed provide a touch of softness around the edges.

I haven't detected that same brightness with my X150, even in a room with plenty of hard surfaces all around. Perhaps, therefore, the Cary tubed pre has indeed provide a touch of softness around the edges.

For sure! Cary tubes are sweet. My Buddy has
your pre, with the cary 15watt set mono blocs.
Driving a pair of Coincident Total Eclipse speakers
that's a very detailed soft sound.

Bel Canto e.One Ref1000

Anyone out there heard this amp? Stereophile gave it a class A rating in their 07 equipment guide

Re. REF1000: The Rotels I mentioned in my last post here use exactly the same ICEpower amp module, including the switched power supply, AFAIK. I don't know how or if Bel Canto modify the stock units in any way. After reading John Potis' and other reviews I was interested in the REF1000 myself. That changed after hearing both the Rotel 1091s and the D-200s in my system. The 1091s are way overpriced at 3k, IMO. The REF1000 would have to be very different and thus much better sounding to justify another Large on top of the Rotels...

If you're contemplating Class D amps, be sure and check out the following link:

http://www.avguide.com/features/class-d/class-d-index.php

It provides an excellent introduction to the technology and it also reviews eight different class D amps. Based on the article, I had at one time pretty much decided on looking for a used Spectron Musician III on a'gon.

If you're contemplating Class D amps, be sure and check out the following link:

http://www.avguide.com/features/class-d/class-d-index.php

It provides an excellent introduction to the technology and it also reviews eight different class D amps. Based on the article, I had at one time pretty much decided on looking for a used Spectron Musician III on a'gon.

Thanks for the link bahamaman. The III does look promising.

I had an in home audition of the REF8 a little over a year ago, when I owned the XT4. It was pretty good. I may be able to arrange another in home demo
this will give me an idea it I should consider Class D at all with the ML'S

Monarchy SE-100 Delux class a amplifiers

Auditioned this amp yesterday. I will listen some more tonight, it's still at the house. These are really great sounding amps, they really took control of the ML's.

I made the mistake of hooking up a Lamm pre (also on loan) The sound was excellent!! grater sound stage depth, layers, lots of detail, but absaloutly no
brightness. With my pre, the sound stage narrowed, and you could detect a slight edge. Lamm is way out of my budget, so once I decide on an amp, I will do some tube rolling, before I start thinking about another pre.

Monarchy Audio SE-100

Looks Like I will go with these. They really take control of the woofer,
and sound staging is excellent. I will do some tube rolling in the pre
I will also look into modifying the cd player.

http://www.monarchyaudio.com/

Looks Like I will go with these. They really take control of the woofer, and sound staging is excellent. I will do some tube rolling in the pre I will also look into modifying the cd player.
Glad to see you finally found something you like in your budget!!! The auditioning is fun, but finally buying it is even more.

Dan

One other option

hey,

If you've not yet tried it, audition a Meridian 557. This has to be one of the greatest SS amps made - ever. It's easily the most neutral SS amp I've ever heard, and can be bought for reasonable money on used sites like audiogon. It's no longer in production, but Meridian will still support / maintain one for you.

With this amp there's probably the least colouration of the sound I've ever (not) heard - it really is that neutral. Also, it will effortlesly drive any speaker you give it, so MLs aren't a problem! IMHO it's a better amp than its replacement the G57, and will give much more expensive amps (Krell, Mark Levinson etc) a serious fright!

Cheers,

David

Latest posts

Back