AMP ideas for the Aeon I

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you guys think about Bryston, the 4BSST to be specific?
The dealer I purchased the ML's from has Classe and Bryston.
I can take either one or both home for an in home audition. I
just hate to do that and them buy it used:angel:

Well this one is right up my alley. My brother has ascents with a Bryston 4BSST. Here is what I have heard with the 4BSST - lots of layers of sound...The music sounds almost as if it is in 3 layers. Things JUMP out at you. I do not think the highs are 'hot' at all on it. Not on the 4BSST model at least. I think you owe it to yourself to bring your tubed pre - and hook it to that 4bSST -- I think you would be very happy with that. The 4BSST sounds like a very powerful amp - which it is... (For reference I have a sunfire signature which is considered more on the warm side. I like the Bryston a lot - and I would consider it more neutral... ) You don't live close to Canada do you??? Bryston/Classe both Canadian made....my bro' got a great deal on his over in Canada...

Well this one is right up my alley. My brother has ascents with a Bryston 4BSST. Here is what I have heard with the 4BSST - lots of layers of sound...The music sounds almost as if it is in 3 layers. Things JUMP out at you. I do not think the highs are 'hot' at all on it. Not on the 4BSST model at least. I think you owe it to yourself to bring your tubed pre - and hook it to that 4bSST -- I think you would be very happy with that. The 4BSST sounds like a very powerful amp - which it is... (For reference I have a sunfire signature which is considered more on the warm side. I like the Bryston a lot - and I would consider it more neutral... ) You don't live close to Canada do you??? Bryston/Classe both Canadian made....my bro' got a great deal on his over in Canada...

Canada is just 8hrs away:D I have access to a Bryston, but the 3K + price tag new makes me not want to use the dealer for a demo and not buy from him. I may just just put it to a vote between the Classe, Bryston and Pass labs.

Canada is just 8hrs away:D I have access to a Bryston, but the 3K + price tag new makes me not want to use the dealer for a demo and not buy from him. I may just just put it to a vote between the Classe, Bryston and Pass labs.

Gregg =

My first pair of Sequel IIs were bought from Steve about 16 years ago. I was not an "easy sell." I bothered him for weeks before I actually made a commitment to buy. I even brought in my own amp (an Aragon) to listen to the sounds they produced with the MLs. Steve was very patient with me and did not pressure me at all. May I suggest you try the same? This group of Loganphiles will not be in your home to listen to your speakers. How can you "put it to a vote" when you might have different listening priorities than others. Do yourself a favor: LISTEN!

What do you guys think about Bryston, the 4BSST to be specific?

Greg, Listen with your ears, but to me unless you were going to bi-amp and use it on the bottom, it's too bright for my liking.

FWIW, there is a Pass x250 on the "Gon" now for around $2600

Good luck !!

Gregg =

My first pair of Sequel IIs were bought from Steve about 16 years ago. I was not an "easy sell." I bothered him for weeks before I actually made a commitment to buy. I even brought in my own amp (an Aragon) to listen to the sounds they produced with the MLs. Steve was very patient with me and did not pressure me at all. May I suggest you try the same? This group of Loganphiles will not be in your home to listen to your speakers. How can you "put it to a vote" when you might have different listening priorities than others. Do yourself a favor: LISTEN!

I understand. I know Steve well, I've been going into his store for about 5 yrs now. Maybe I'm being too nice, but I just hate to borrow equipment from him, knowing that I will not buy it from him. I've only borrowed equipment from him
that I intend to buy from him.
I don't like to abuse peoples good will.

:think: Maybe I'll have a party, lots of food and drink, and invite Three ML members, to bring their amps.

I like what I'm reading about the Pass Labs amp.
Are amps that are biased class A for the most part
better sounding? I'm trying to find a Pass Labs dealer
to have a listen.

I like what I'm reading about the Pass Labs amp. Are amps that are biased class A for the most part better sounding? I'm trying to find a Pass Labs dealer to have a listen.
Most people would agree that Class A sounds better than A/B. Some amps with Class A are only Class A up to a certain wattage point, then go into A/B, while there are other amps which are Class A throughout their entire ratings.

Some do not like the sound of the ones that change, others do. You will need to listen for yourself to see which you like better.

Dan

I've heard the A/b amps I think classe is built that way.
I'm sure I would like the class A sound. I emailed pass labs
for a local dealer. Does anyone know of a dealer in the NY area?

Found a dealer in NJ that have the Pass Labs 250 and the ML Vista. How great is that?! I'm busy this weekend so I will take a drive down there next Saturday and have a listen. let you guys know what I think.

GregLett, Joeyitis had no mercy once again. I bet important parts of my body that you'll come back with flat tires on the back of your car (because of the X250).

The dam thing is huge. Won't be buying for a few months though, the audio fund is low:( At least this audition will let me know how this amp is with ML's almost like mine

Hear the Pass Labs X250.5 today. The system consist of:
McIntosh MCD201 CD player
McIntosh MX136 pre/pro
PASS Labs X250.5
Martin Logan Vistas.

The system had a lot of detail, and great bass control.
I though that things were on the bright side however.

I will have an in home audition of a pair of Monarchy SE-100 Delux
amps. I'll see what I think of those.

Hear the Pass Labs X250.5 today. The system consist of:
McIntosh MCD201 CD player
McIntosh MX136 pre/pro
PASS Labs X250.5
Martin Logan Vistas.

The system had a lot of detail, and great bass control.
I though that things were on the bright side however.

I will have an in home audition of a pair of Monarchy SE-100 Delux
amps. I'll see what I think of those.

Interesting - keep us up to date. For what it is worth - I have heard the Mac cd player w/ mac pre & mac amp with the summits. I switched in a yamaha universal player to play sacds. The mac cd player - puts out - what I think - is a big warm sound. Very good on the low end.

Let's see: solid state between 2k and 3k, no Rotel.

The only piece matching that description within my own limited experience is a pair of Channel Islands Audio D-200 for 2k3. I tried them against, and much preferred them over, a pair of Rotel 1091s. They have excellent reviews too - but then, what doesn't? Customer support is outstanding. They have a 30 days return policy minus a 10% restocking fee and return shipping.

Let's see: solid state between 2k and 3k, no Rotel.

The only piece matching that description within my own limited experience is a pair of Channel Islands Audio D-200 for 2k3. I tried them against, and much preferred them over, a pair of Rotel 1091s. They have excellent reviews too - but then, what doesn't? Customer support is outstanding. They have a 30 days return policy minus a 10% restocking fee and return shipping.

That price range is new or used. I know there isn't much out there new at the price point, but they are a lot of great used amps.

Interesting - keep us up to date. For what it is worth - I have heard the Mac cd player w/ mac pre & mac amp with the summits. I switched in a yamaha universal player to play sacds. The mac cd player - puts out - what I think - is a big warm sound. Very good on the low end.

I wanted to here the full Mac system on the ML's, but that didn't happen.
I heard the full Mac system driving a pair Of Aerial 20t's.. very sweet.

Back