Adjusting the bass on 13a's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbill

Reaction score
I flipped on the "mid bass switch" because it they seemed a little bass light. But it sounds a little to bass heavy now. Does the bass adjustment work with the switch on, to fine tune? And I assume I should wait to use ARC until everything is dialed in?

It always seems to be a back and forth proposition when getting speakers setup.

Are the speakers new? Mine needed over 130 hours before the panels were happy, and the woofers were pretty good with half that.

The Mid Bass control affects the range of 140Hz to 300Hz. I'm happiest with it in the middle position. Sounds too bloated at +2dB, and too shy at -2dB.

The Bass Control however can be very useful. It's a shelf filter. I've use it with great success in adding multiple subwoofers to each 13A connected via speaker level connections. See the attached image from ML for how it affects frequency response.
MartinLogan MasterpieceSeries Bass Control Response 2.jpg

It always seems to be a back and forth proposition when getting speakers setup.

Are the speakers new? Mine needed over 130 hours before the panels were happy, and the woofers were pretty good with half that.

The Mid Bass control affects the range of 140Hz to 300Hz. I'm happiest with it in the middle position. Sounds too bloated at +2dB, and too shy at -2dB.

The Bass Control however can be very useful. It's a shelf filter. I've use it with great success in adding multiple subwoofers to each 13A connected via speaker level connections. See the attached image from ML for how it affects frequency response.
View attachment 23433
I've put 200+ hours on them. Do you know what frequency range the bass control covers? If the mid bass switch is turned to +2dB, can the bass control be used to fine tune it to a little less? I guess what I'm asking is can you use both in conjunction and then run the ARC?

I've put 200+ hours on them. Do you know what frequency range the bass control covers? If the mid bass switch is turned to +2dB, can the bass control be used to fine tune it to a little less? I guess what I'm asking is can you use both in conjunction and then run the ARC?
Unfortunately, the two are in different frequency ranges. The Bass Control is centered at 75Hz, but ramps up to 150Hz. The Mid Bass switch starts at 140Hz and goes up to 300Hz. So, there's virtually no overlap. It really would've been nice if ML had lowered the range of the Mid Bass switch, or at least offer 1dB increments in a 5 position switch. It's pretty amazing how much that 2dB changes things.

BTW, you can set the controls however you want because they won't affect ARC. ARC takes control of the woofers using the default settings, so you don't need to worry about how any of the bass controls are set.

Back