90 dB??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLaudiophile

Reaction score
I know this is probably a beginners question, but I'm in the process of breaking in my Electromotion ESLs and the the recommended break-in is 90dB for approx 70Hrs. How do I know I have it playing at that level?

I'm using an Onkyo 818 AVR. It has an absolute or relative(THX) volume choice. I usually have it on absolute, set between 30-35. In relative volume, it that is converted to -51 to -46.

But having said that, I have the intellivolume set at +2dB. But within Audyssey, the fronts (ESLs) are set at -3.5dB. So I know that these options change the sound level. For example, the volume on the receiver set at 30, it is much louder when Audyssey Dymamic volume is turned on, and much lower when its off. If its off (I never have it off!) I would need to turn the receiver up to nearly 50 to have the same volume level.

So, how loud is 90dB. The last thing I want to do is damage my speakers.

Lastly, I have a dB reader app on the iphone. It reads on average 62dB when listening at a absolute volume of 30. How accurate is this?

One side question. Whats considered the best speaker wire to use? I've read 14-16gauge. Any particular brands?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I would not be too worried about getting the db exactly as recommended. Anythime you are listening through the speaker at an enjoyable level - loud enough but not deafening, you are breaking it in. If you are a stickler, then go to The Source by Circuit City and get yourself a sound pressure meter. Enjoy your logans and they sound great even unbroke in!

90db? This is loud enough to cause hearing damage if your ears are exposed to it for more than 2h. Be carefull with such approach. Actually I've never heard that break-in should be done at such or such db level. Just play your speakers like you usually do and enjoy how they gradually change for better.

P.S. just checked manual and it relly says 90db!!!

Last edited:
Yeah thats what I thought!! I went to a live concert and used the iphone app, it registered upwards of 100-110dB. I can honestly say, I never have the system that loud. I enjoy a moderate level, meaning, I can listen to music yet talk to others in the room. I knew that 90 was loud, or at least thats what I thought, but when the manual stated 90, I figured, either they expect loud listening or I'm wrong on how loud really is!! Safe to say, the speakers have not reached that level thus far.

EM ESL has a sensitivity of 91dB/2.83V at 1m (ML specs). Put on your pink noise CD track and measure the AC voltage at the amp's output (or at speaker terminals). If you're seeing ~2.83V, then you're at 91dB at 1 meter's distance. That's barely over a watt for this 6 Ohm speaker: P=V^2/R = (2.83)^2/6 = 1.33W

edited to add that a crummy meter may not give an accurate AC reading for pink noise, and if so, try a steady upper bass frequency, say under ~300Hz...

Last edited:
Go to Radio Shack and spend $30 +/- for a meter.

Set meter to "C" weighting.

More importantly, everyone should monitor loudness levels to prevent permanent hearing damage.

GG

PS: There is no perfect speaker wire. All that matters is your opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. As for the speaker wire. Room was prewired with 16 awg. I had some older lengths of 18awg. Would it matter much if I used that, or just go and pick up some 16 to match it. Having said that, if I used 14, would it be of any benefit?

I need to make a number of short lengths of approx 18". They will run from the AVR to the faceplate, and then from each speaker faceplate to the speaker.

Back