7.1 vs 6.1

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaphod

Reaction score
the rear surrounds are the same discrete channel, not separate channels as with the side or front surrounds.

many proccessors allow you to set if you are using just one, or two surrounds.

has anyone played with the difference between a single centre rear surround and a pair of rears surround?

i'm toying with moving my logos to the rear wall, getting a new centre which i can partly fund by selling my current script rear surrounds.

room width is 13feet, but in addition to a rear "kids" sofa on the back wall, i plan on putting the equipment racks on that back wall, and as little as possible in the actual corners, leaving them for bass treatments.

I toyed with it, 7.1 is better, but not by a particularly meaningful amount. That said, I am back to 5.1 because there is virtually no content in 7.1. It is a waste in my opinion.

I toyed with it, 7.1 is better, but not by a particularly meaningful amount. That said, I am back to 5.1 because there is virtually no content in 7.1. It is a waste in my opinion.

I don't know if it is a waste or not, time will tell. For certain current availability of 7.1 is nearly nonexistant. The first 7.1 movie that was made as a 7.1 theatrical release is "Toy Story 3" which was just released. There are currently about 200 7.1 titles. Most are remastered classical albums. Some 7.1 movies that I have include "Bangkok Dangerous" and "Daybreakers" both remastered by techs. "3:10 to Yuma" was remastered but the remastering was done under the direction of the original director. The "Lord of the Rings" trilogy was released in 6.1.

A waste, maybe, for now my extra speakers and amps are not working very often.

i was away for a couple days, back now.

thanks for the feedback - about what i expected. i think that "reducing" to a single centred rear is going to be in the plan. now to find a Theater center channel for sale :)

Back