50 watts and MLs what is best?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I would like to build a dedicated listening room for just 2-channel audio. I have a 50-watt x 2 tube amp. What would be the best ML speakers to drive with this amp? I know MLs are not very efficient so I would like to make a good choice. Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks

Cherian

More information, please

It depends on your amplifier, the size of the room and your music preference (type of music, how loud, etc...) For example, my AES SixPacs at 50wpc sound more powerful driving my ML ReQuests than the tubed ARC VT100 at 100wpc. So, without more information it's really hard to give any recommendation.

Spike

The amp is made by Sheng Yi Music Angel XD-SE 50 watt dual mode amp. See the link below.

http://store.pacificvalve.us/pvmaxdse.htm

The room is not be very big 10' x 14'

The type of music will be everything from AC/DC, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, to the Dead can Dance.

Thanks

Cherian

Not knowing too much about your amplifier, you'll need not take my inputs at their face values. For your rock-and-roll music taste (based on your list of music), I'm going to infer that you like your bass crisp and deep. Solid-state design fare much better for this (bass) application than tubes. On the tube side, ultra-linear is better than triode mode for this bass duties. Given that your room is on the smaller side, the Shen-Yi in ultra-linear mode, producing 50wpc suffice. Without knowing your budget I'm going to venture and say that the Aeon or Clarity are good choices for the newer models, the Aerius or SL3 are good choices for the older models. Of course, the newer Vantage & Summits are best given that they have built-in solid-state amplifiers for the bass already, but at some cost. You can achieve the same results going with the older models and purchase a pre-owned solid-state amplifier separately and build your own bi-amping system. Just something to think about for your system.

Spike

Cherian said:
Hello Everyone,

I would like to build a dedicated listening room for just 2-channel audio. I have a 50-watt x 2 tube amp. What would be the best ML speakers to drive with this amp? I know MLs are not very efficient so I would like to make a good choice. Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks

Cherian
You might want to consider an older pair of Aerius-i speakers, Bi-Wired. Then drive the bass unit with a solid state amp.

Small enough room, with a well matched 50W tube amp, you just might get by without Bi-Amping.

I'm wondering if your stereo 50W amp can be bridged, then buy another matching amp for two mono power units.

Many choices and combinations - we need more information to help you. Otherwise we are just guessing and shouting out random ideas.

;)

Back