30 year old ML Quest panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjtrot

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone recently sent any ML panels to ESL repair (Russ Knotts) in Ohio. Current cost is $700
Interested to hear if they feel it is worth the effort or to:
1 Get new panels from ML
2 Get new speakers and which current model would be comparable to the old quest. Need some long time users for this one
Any thoughts appreciated
KJ

I have owned the Quests and felt they were one of the best balanced speakers I have ever owned. I think they would be most similar to the 13a but in my view between the 13a and 15a. I was never a fan of the ML line with powered woofers so loved the passive ones , previously owned SL3s aswell. I do have to say the latest line are brilliant and I could not differentiate the panel from the woofer in a recent show listening to the 11a. The quests only sung when I used Bryston 28SST 1000W monos on them. They (Quests) eat my Ayre MXRs alive at the time so I moved to Bryston.

Last edited:
The Quest series was magical.. The size of them is the only drawback, IMHO.. If you don't mind that, get the panels re-done.

I have been using old Jeff Rowland Design model 3 balanced monoblocks rated at 100wpc 8 ohms, 200 wpc 4 ohms and 320 wpc at 2 ohms. Always performed well in my listening environment which currently is a little too small for the Quest size. We all have to live within our space for listening sometimes it's a small compromise we must make. I am giving thought to the "shower" treatment but a little hesitant about tearing the panels and putting them through water. Call me old fashioned, water and electronics!

I don't mind having the panels redone as long as I don't give up the ML Quest magic. Just wasn't sure if a third party redoing the panels would provide the same sound as the originals. If folks think replacement equals would be in the 15a category this will not be possible for the near future due to costs restraints. All input is greatly appreciated.

The Request is still one of their best. I have heard and like the newer Logans but there is something about taking the crossover frequency lower/ down further to the panels that provides a better experience in the room.

I own the Quest Z from new (1993) and had new panels ordered from ML last year. Great improvement and super customer service! I do not believe that you can purchase better sounding speakers for the price of the replacement panels. I recently replaced the original electrolytic capacitors with better film capacitors at the crossover. The sound improvement was almost comparable to the new panels. I strongly recommend this upgrade as well.

Latest posts

Back