The Mozart Effect

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

Reaction score
I am sneaking in a book review without mod approval; I assume it is okay as it is brief.

Book Title: The Mozart Effect
Author: Don Campbell
Date of Publication:1997
ISBN:0-06-093720-3

I bought this book many years ago and had started reading it, but for some reason dropped it. I recently picked it up again and could not put it down.

It is a fascinating read, covering the developmental and curative benefits of music. Particular emphasis is laid on the music of Mozart, and the research that has been done using it to calm babies and cure various diseases. It states that complex music such as that written by Mozart seems to really unlock the powers of the brain and help the body to cure itself. It also states that other music does have some curative power, but not quite to the same extent. Repetitive music seems to have the opposite effect. A formal study was started by a guy in France, and he now has places world-wide where the studies continue, and you can get treated.

It suggests various techniques for self-healing. I found it most interesting as some of the techiniques mentioned were some I used instinctively during the last year when I went through a horrendous illness from which I did not expect to recover.... but I did recover.

I suggest that even if you do not like Mozart (and classical music, in general) you pick up a copy of this book, Who knows, you may be able to cure anything that is ailing you....and you do not even need Mozart!

I am sneaking in a book review without mod approval; I assume it is okay as it is brief.

I bought this book many years ago and had started reading it, but for some reason dropped it. I recently picked it up again and could not put it down.

It is a fascinating read, covering the developmental and curative benefits of music. Particular emphasis is laid on the music of Mozart, and the research that has been done using it to calm babies and cure various diseases. It states that complex music such as that written by Mozart seems to really unlock the powers of the brain and help the body to cure itself. It also states that other music does have some curative power, but not quite to the same extent. Repetitive music seems to have the opposite effect. A formal study was started by a guy in France, and he now has places world-wide where the studies continue, and you can get treated.

It suggests various techniques for self-healing. I found it most interesting as some of the techiniques mentioned were some I used instinctively during the last year when I went through a horrendous illness from which I did not expect to recover.... but I did recover.

I suggest that even if you do not like Mozart (and classical music, in general) you pick up a copy of this book, Who knows, you may be able to cure anything that is ailing you....and you do not even need Mozart!

that's really cool I have to check that out Bernard.I have heard of these such things in the past. I really like to close my eyes and go into a a state of relaxation. I have not gotten into much classical but would like to. lately I have been relaxing to Jimmy Hendrix what a great musician the only reason I bring him up is much of his music is very complicated as well but very relaxing. I hope you made a full recovery from your illness Bernard

Hi Bernard,

I hate to tell you, but the Mozart Effect is an urban legend and is fantasy. There is no scientifiic basis behind it.

I was taken by it too for a bit, but did some research. I will post some more links in the next few days, as I am swamped now.

I hate to tell you, but the Mozart Effect is an urban legend and is fantasy. There is no scientifiic basis behind it.
I looked at the links Brian posted. Looks like the Mozart Effect is as controversial as whether or not you can hear differences between cables. There are people here who will tell you that there is no scientific basis behind cables sounding different.

What can I say? I enjoyed the book.

I looked at the links Brian posted. Looks like the Mozart Effect is as controversial as whether or not you can hear differences between cables. There are people here who will tell you that there is no scientific basis behind cables sounding different.

What can I say? I enjoyed the book.

Bernard, I appreciate where you are coming from. As the step parent of child with severe developmental delays I can tell you that there are two things that my step daughter Shea loves more than anything else on earth - her therapeutic horseback riding and her music. Whenever she is either overstimulated or just wants to relax she'll either come to me and say "music" or just pick up her i-pod and put it on.

Mozart may not be her favorite or first choice, but I see demonstrable proof of the healing power of music every day.

Mozart would certainly be one of my favourite composers - whether it is anything to do with it or not I don't know!

Scientifically proven or not, i believe in the power of music. Playing or listening, I have found it to be a major influence and a great help.

I guess an individual's mileage may vary, but judging by the systems talked about here, I think we all share an appreciation of its influence.

i have an old laptop in the baby's room with iTunes running. My or I - using the "Remote" app on our iPhones can turn on the music for the kidlet if he starts to fuss or wake up during the night. usually calms him down unless there is something really wrong.

when he was newborn he had a lot of fussiness due to acid reflux and stuff. nothing calmed him down like being bounced to 80's hits - Yello, Talking Heads, David Lindley

i have a kid with good taste :)

Back