Martin Logan CLX's : Comments on Sound or Aesthetics?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydoc

Reaction score
I just saw release data on the New M-L CLX's. Although pictures don't always do justice to products, I noticed that the bass frequency response is significantly higher (56Hz) than either Summit or Vista which use hybrid design. It would appear that at least one subwoofer (ie Descent i) would be mandatory to extract low bass information and boost cost by more $3000.00 if one is not already in the system.
Besides doubling the cost of the Summits (which I own), the aesthetics are also troublesome. The old CLS's and CLZ's at least had an integrated panel appearance while these almost look like prototypes. I am certain that getting a large enough area to radiate low frequency information was a factor. However, because of their relatively large size (nearly 6 feet tall and 3 feet wide) they will dominate most listening rooms so that looks do count.
I would be interested in any feedback from M-L club members on these matters since I would be unlikely to drive the 200 miles I have to go to audition them if the feedback is less than stellar

Including the integral base, the CLX's are about the same size as a pair of CLS's on stands.

I was heading to Kansas to do a listen to them but they do not have them in their factory for listening. They are doing a production run starting in Late may ! Early June !

Not able to listen at factory.

That makes absolutely no sense.Why would you produce a $20,000 speaker and not have one at the factory? Did they expect you to put down a deposit on a speaker unseen or heard?I believe that they are only hurting their own business by doing it this way.I am sorry that you will not be able to hear and express your opinion on the speaker.I would like to have heard your opinion how they compare to the CLS line.If anyone has heard both,please post your opinions.You could buy a pair of CLS and a subwoofer and still have $15,000 left for other components.It would have to be very special to justify that kind of leap.:eek:

That makes absolutely no sense.Why would you produce a $20,000 speaker and not have one at the factory?

Well, perhaps because they have not been released yet in the United States. They just announced them in Europe and haven't even really ramped up production yet. You guys are jumping the gun just a little, don't you think? They were kind enough to offer TomDac an early listen so he could report back to us. But I don't expect they want a few hundred folks dropping by the factory to audition these speakers before they have even been released in this country. I know it has been a long time coming, but show a little more patience.

Back