CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Necro,

Did you visit Mr. Parrish in Long Valley, NJ?

GG

Hey Gordon,
Why yes I did. Me and bobf went down. His place is just amazing.
I'll be going back in a few weeks to listen to some turntables.

Pete,

I bought my MBL's from Bill this past Christmas.

A great guy who, in my decades of visiting outlets and salons, happens to have the most amazing audio store on the planet.

For those unfamiliar with GTT Audio, Bill built a 5,000 sq. ft. addition onto his beautiful house in rural New Jersey specifically for six, fully equipped audio rooms. The big one (25' X 40') is where he has the big YG's / Soulution electronics, etc. and appropriate acoustical treatment.

Spent three hours there with a friend listening to the MBL's and, of course, the YG's. An absolutely phenomenal experience.

Gordon

Pete,

I bought my MBL's from Bill this past Christmas.

A great guy who, in my decades of visiting outlets and salons, happens to have the most amazing audio store on the planet.

For those unfamiliar with GTT Audio, Bill built a 5,000 sq. ft. addition onto his beautiful house in rural New Jersey specifically for six, fully equipped audio rooms. The big one (25' X 40') is where he has the big YG's / Soulution electronics, etc. and appropriate acoustical treatment.

Spent three hours there with a friend listening to the MBL's and, of course, the YG's. An absolutely phenomenal experience.

Gordon
Hello Gordon,
You are very correct!
He is a really nice guy and the place is beautiful:bowdown:

Fortunately for us it is only a 3 hour ride. I could live there.

I will be going with the son when he goes back to check on a TT.

Best,
Bob

Necro,

Very nice setup. Can you tell me how wide your room is that you have the CLX in and approx how far from the side wall they are. I guess they can go into a smaller room after all with great results?

Cheers, Greg

Hi Bob,

Happened to be in that area over the holidays. Was very interested in listening to the MBL 116's and arranged for an appointment. About a four hour drive each way but, given I am a wimp, my dear friend offered to drive. I used to be an urban "warrior" but after 38 some years living in Wyoming, I don't trust my urban driving skills anymore.

Needless to say, left at 6AM from Fairfax, VA and returned about 10PM that evening. A very long day but well worthwhile.

Bill really is the consummate, low key professional and lets the product / music speak for itself. And in a home environment that is unlike any audio salon I have ever visited. I trust you will be well served and wish you the best.

Gordon

Necro,

Very nice setup. Can you tell me how wide your room is that you have the CLX in and approx how far from the side wall they are. I guess they can go into a smaller room after all with great results?

Cheers, Greg

Hey Greg,
thanks! I am in music bliss right now :D
My room is extremely small for the current setup that I have and is not doing any of this gear justice!
But With all the room treatments I have done (and more coming) I have gotten it pretty damn amazing sounding in there!

Room is 19L X 10W X 8H - My CLX are 8" from wood to side wall, 4ft from panel to front wall and my listening chair is about 11-12ft from the CLX with about 3ft behind the chair to the back wall.

I just got quoted to make my room 8ft wider would be about $22k!! Im thinking about it....:rolleyes:
Buying the CLX was a great choice for me and I have no regrets even with my current small room.

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

Happened to be in that area over the holidays. Was very interested in listening to the MBL 116's and arranged for an appointment. About a four hour drive each way but, given I am a wimp, my dear friend offered to drive. I used to be an urban "warrior" but after 38 some years living in Wyoming, I don't trust my urban driving skills anymore.

Needless to say, left at 6AM from Fairfax, VA and returned about 10PM that evening. A very long day but well worthwhile.

Bill really is the consummate, low key professional and lets the product / music speak for itself. And in a home environment that is unlike any audio salon I have ever visited. I trust you will be well served and wish you the best.

Gordon
Gordon,

I think even driving 8 hours to Bills house would be worth the effort!!!
It is hands down amazing. if anybody is in the area I would highly suggest checking it out.

Gordon, I still havent seen a pic of your MBL's?

Another thought too... let me know me when you and NecroDad are headed to Bill's place... maybe a rendezvous?... an audio ménage à quatre? ;)
Hi Todd,
I will also be at my favorite place this summer on the last week of July and 1st week of August at Lake Winnipisaukee so hopefully Necroson will come up for a few days and we can see you then as well.
The audio place really is amazing!

Best,
Bob

Hi Bob,

Gordon
Hi Gordon,
Thanks for the kind words:D
I know what you mean about driving. I live in a town of 5000 or so but drive to one of CT's larger cities to work and it is not getting any better. But the good part is hopefully in four years I can retire and move to N.H.

You are right about Bill. He is not pushy nor arrogant,just a nice guy.

I hope your having fun with your new speakers as I am sure you are!

Best,
Bob

Hi Todd,
I will also be at my favorite place this summer on the last week of July and 1st week of August at Lake Winnipisaukee so hopefully Necroson will come up for a few days and we can see you then as well.
The audio place really is amazing!

Best,
Bob

Hi Bob,

I will make sure I keep some days open during that time and I would absolutely love to have you and Pete stop by!

Cheers

Todd,

Did you get the Modright amps yet?, and if so, how do you like them. Remember new pictures, please.

Cheers, Greg

Todd,

Did you get the Modright amps yet?, and if so, how do you like them. Remember new pictures, please.

Cheers, Greg

Hi Greg,

I received them but as fate apparently mandates, one of them was shipped in the wrong chassis. I should have it back on Monday and will report back (with pics) on initial impressions. The short time I did listen to them (before shipping back to address the chassis issue) they sounded phenominal... but more time is required for a better analysis.

Thanks for asking.

Cheers

ModWrights are in the house... Finally!

Hey Guys,

So the ModWright KWA150SEs are finally installed and singing oh so sweetly. I swear to (insert your favorite deity here) I have never had better sound in my setup. Never, Ever! I guess I suspected, hoped, dreamed that 600W/ch would result in unparalleled authority and limitless reserves, but what I didn't expect was the effing CLARITY I'm getting from the CLXs now. It is ridiculous! It's like full-on IMAX for the ears!

I am so friggin' stoked! It's been a long, long road to finally get the system where I want it, but MAN has it been worth the wait and aggravation... I am nearly speechless (though I seem to be able to type OK... excepting for grammatical inaccuracies, etc)

Anyway... a few pics for now and I'll report back after more listening, but lemme tell ya - If you have Paul Simon's classic "Graceland", spin it up and select "Homeless". OMFG! I can practically see the tonsils on each member of Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Just incredible. The delineation between voices is hair-raisingly distinct and crazy-accurate. THIS is what high-end audio should be! I'm sure with some room eq or more treatment, I could squeeze a few more audio-ounces of accuracy out of this setup, but it's so far beyond what I had ever hoped for at this point, I almost hate to even dust the components for fear of somehow jinxing the dreamworld I find myself in now.

Cheers all and happy listening

p.s. Necrodude - I bet these MWs would give your MBLs a serious run for their money! :)

p.p.s. Justin - Yes, my uber-praise above clearly reflects my self-congratulatory attitude, even bordering on self-love... but it is what it is... incredibly accurate, musical, amazing sound :)

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 176
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 175
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Awesome and finally!!!!!

So happy you got it going again.
hmmmm, now I might have to buy me a pair of MW's and compare!!! hahaha

dont forget me and Necropop are coming in July to visit!! Ill bring my MBL's and we will have the shoot out. My amps only weigh 50lb each...easy to move. Cheers again Todd!!!

Awesome and finally!!!!!

So happy you got it going again.
hmmmm, now I might have to buy me a pair of MW's and compare!!! hahaha

dont forget me and Necropop are coming in July to visit!! Ill bring my MBL's and we will have the shoot out. My amps only weigh 50lb each...easy to move. Cheers again Todd!!!

Hey that's the spirit - bake those amps off!!! Much harder for you guys given the size of the country, so respect, but I must admit I have no clue over the distance between the two of you - just assuming it isn't small.

Back