Time to buy really big MLs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations, I think you are going to be very happy with you purchase!

Yes, I just won them!!! I will have them in my home in about a week. It sold for just under 3k. WOW Monoliths III. I can not wait.

Congratulations! Mini-statements basically! CLS with a built in woofer! Wow. Hope you like them as much as I would!

Congrats on the purchase, Cherian. Your system has come a long way in the past couple of months. Good luck finding the time to set it up with a baby in the house. Now for the coup de gras, just contract with Jonfo to build you some nice mid bass line array towers to go with those monoliths. Then you will be Rockin'. :rocker:

Yes, I just won them!!! I will have them in my home in about a week. It sold for just under 3k. WOW Monoliths III. I can not wait.

Cherian, excellent price, congrats!

As Rich says, I can help you spend even more money and time on these puppies than you can shake a stick at ;)

[Secret Monolith owner handshake]

Jonathan

After I build up my funds again I may contact you. What active crossover should I keep an eye out for?

Thanks

Cherian

Last edited:
Cherian, the unit I recommend, and have been documenting how to use is the DBX DriveRack 260.

They range new from $650 (no warranty online dealer) to $999, and used from $450 to $550. Sweetwater.com will sell you one in the low $700’s if you sweet –talk them into it.

I've had an eBay search for that keyword for two years and never seen one go for less than $450, even beat up ones from road crews.

On top of the DriveRack, you also need $200 for a Jensen Transformer IsoMax unbalanced to balanced transformer box.

If you're patient, (and one other MLOC member I've already offered it to doesn't want it), one of my DriveRack 260's will be available in February or so. As I plan on upgrading to a DriveRack 4800 for the three front channels and the Sub. My other DR 260 will do the rears. So I'll have one available, pre-configured for Monoliths even :D

Thanks for the information. If I’m correct the DBX DriveRack 260 only offers XLR connections. My pre and amp only take RCA connection. Can I still make it work

Congratulations

Cherian,

Congratulations on your new acquisition. Looking forward to stopping by and seeing / hearing them, after the new year when things quite down. (or just some night on my way home, since you are on the way.)

burke

I will buy the Driverac is Cherian doesn't want it or can't use it or happy to go new if necessary as he should have first dibs.

I think we had a thread on this when I first started but I have a McIntosh C46 SS control center pre and you know my set up better than I do so how do I connect it without screwing up my active XO?

Burke,

You are welcome anytime. Just as an FYI starting Mid Dec. I will be living in Guree. I'm not on your way home anymore. Still you are welcome over anytime.

Jonathan,

I do not think the DBX DriveRack 260 will work for me as I don’t have XLR connections. Too bad for me as the DBX sounds awsome. Any other ideas?

sounds like you can use an rca to xlr adapter? i use that to connect my single-ended phono stage to balanced in on my preamp.

congrats on the monoliths!

I will buy the Driverac is Cherian doesn't want it or can't use it or happy to go new if necessary as he should have first dibs.

I think we had a thread on this when I first started but I have a McIntosh C46 SS control center pre and you know my set up better than I do so how do I connect it without screwing up my active XO?

John, I'll dig up that old thread and post how one would do this in your rig.

The thread was titled: Monolith Bass - How to get it

Jonathan,

I do not think the DBX DriveRack 260 will work for me as I don’t have XLR connections. Too bad for me as the DBX sounds awsome. Any other ideas?

Cherian, it’s not a big problem to convert unbalanced to balanced and back.

I gather both your pre and your amps are unbalanced (RCA connectors) only, right?

If so, the easiest is to start by experimenting with XLR to RCA adaptors, they are cheap and get the job done cheaply ($7) simply (if you don’t have ground loops).
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GXF132/ or http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GXM133/

Now, with multiple amps, a crossover and all that, you are at risk of winding up with a ground loop. So the best way to fix that and the format conversion is to get a Jensen Transformer ISO-Max DM2-RX to put in front of the DriveRack crossover.

We had a lively discussion on how to connect balanced and unbalanced gear together in this thread.

Other than the DEQX, I’m not sure that I’d recommend anything else as you’d be missing out on the key features of delay management and EQ.
One of things a Monolith benefits from is improved time alignment between woofer and panel. (panel needs 1.7ms of delay)

Thanks Jonathan,

Let me know when and if the DBX DriveRack 260 will be available. I may be interested. Thanks for all your help.

Cherian

The Monoliths have landed. When the 18 wheeler pulled up I thought to myself what did I get myself into? The driver opened the truck and to the back was two 7 ft tall boxes marked Monolith. With the help of the driver we moved the boxes into the garage. I signed the paperwork and off he went. With a lot of huffing and puffing I moved them one at a time into my basement and opened them up. Till you see the Monoliths in person one has no idea just how big they are. The Monoliths are huge and these are mint. I have them mocked up. I hope to have them hooked up this weekend. Pictures to be posted soon.

Cherian,

I was just thinking last night about your recent purchase (you dog--if I would have bought them, I could have had them the next day...), and wondering if they had arrived yet.

Please give us a full report once you get them hooked up. They are indeed pristine (I saw them) and they do sound marvelous (even when I heard them at the seller's house--powered by a rather small Adcom amp). I'll bet in the right room, with an active crossover, and some PROPER amplification, these 'Liths will be mind-blowing!

You can be sure that if ever I make it up to the Chicago area, I'm going to request an audience with your rig!

I envy you. Just remember, you owe me one... ;)

--Richard

Ahhhhhhhhh, I have an Idea !!!

Cherian, with the new 'digs' and new 'system' coming together I think we can hold the 2008 "Get Together" at your house !! LOL

Seriously, glad to hear everything is coming together for you !

The Monoliths have landed. When the 18 wheeler pulled up I thought to myself what did I get myself into? The driver opened the truck and to the back was two 7 ft tall boxes marked Monolith. With the help of the driver we moved the boxes into the garage. I signed the paperwork and off he went. With a lot of huffing and puffing I moved them one at a time into my basement and opened them up. Till you see the Monoliths in person one has no idea just how big they are. The Monoliths are huge and these are mint. I have them mocked up. I hope to have them hooked up this weekend. Pictures to be posted soon.

Sweetness, Cherian! Pics pics pics! You know how we do!

We're all pics whores!

Latest posts

Back