When is it time to replace panels?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are old I believe. But still sound. But nothing to compare to?

I don't think it's all that expensive to replace the panels. But that probably depends on the panel in question. Most people probably never replace the panels; ML has a very good build quality and I wouldn't do it unless you know something is wrong or you bought used speakers 10+ years old and/or they were in a dusty/smoky environment.

Erik

I believe the only reason to replace them is if they are visually damaged (poked holes), discolored (smoke or UV light), or no longer sound 'good'.

It's the third one that is tricky - with no reference, you don't know when they stop sounding 'good'.

If you are unhappy with their sound, and they 'used to' sound a lot better, and they are old, try vaccuuming them, try listening to another pair to make sure you aren't going crazy, and then try replacing the panels.

-Allen

Hello,

I replaced the panels on my 1994 vintage Aerius speakers about a week ago. Even though they sounded ok with the original (I think) panels, they sound markedly better with the new ones. The old panels looked dirty and smelled of cigarette smoke.

The replacement cost was $395; not too bad, and they weren't hard to replace.

They have continued to improve sonically over the past week - a good investment.

Bob

Panel life is dictated by environmental cleanliness - if they have been in a smoker's house / dusty environment they will age a lot faster than if they have been looked after. Vacuuming is the first thing to try and then listen to them again. Make sure the woofer doesn't dominate, and if there are enough highs and dynamics to keep you happy then you should just be happy.

Alternatively, if you feel the woofer is dominating and they are missing that little something up top then it might be time to replace them.

Back