Panel rattle

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stereonerd

Reaction score
6 Bayly St, Baylys Beach, 0377, New Zealand
One of my Summits has developed a rattle on the lower part of the panel. It's only evident when quite loud and on when certain frequencies are manifested. That is, songs that have louder-than-average mid-to-low range sounds. Has anyone else experienced anything like this, and is there a way to fix it without replacing otherwise perfectly good panels?

One of my Summits has developed a rattle on the lower part of the panel. It's only evident when quite loud and on when certain frequencies are manifested. That is, songs that have louder-than-average mid-to-low range sounds. Has anyone else experienced anything like this, and is there a way to fix it without replacing otherwise perfectly good panels?
Does it sound like the metal stator vibrating against the frame? If it's that, then you can probably just tighten a few screws.
If it's the mylar film rattling, that's obviously more of a problem. I think ive read that some members on here have had that happen when something gets on the panel. Dust/dirt maybe.

OK, a few things.

Firstly, are you sure it's the panel, and not the woofer, enclosure, or something else in the room?

If it is definitely the panel, then it could be two things:

1. A foreign object / contamination on the panel. Give them a super good vacuum, cup your hands around the nozzle and let pressure build up over the whole surface of the panel. Don't forget to plug them out overnight first to let them fully discharge.

2. The panel adhesives have come loose. I think ML refer to this as "kazzooing" or some such. Maybe do a search for that, I think ML's response in the past has been to re-tighten the mylar by carefully and selectively applying heat. Maybe call service division before attempting. But try the other more simple stuff first.

May be the case, panel/s due to wear and tear, that is spoilage due to over time greater than moderate level music playback, distort during playback. May take place during certain parts of few recordings. And especially during moderate and high level playback.

I noticed this phenomenon in CLS on couple of my compact disc. Both had above average decibel level.

You can minimize unwanted vibration by using spikes and what i now know, ideal placement inside the room helps too. Ideal placement minimizes negative effect of standing waves. And may in your case reduce not typical sound.

Make the panel perpendicular to the ground. Back slope zero. Helps to reduce to near zero not typical panel sound.

If possible, try change in upstream equipment starting with easily done interconnects and speaker cables. Ending with amp and then source.

Ensure banana plug and spade connection is tight. Check for correct polarity of connections. Check for correct electronic module plug to panel socket insertion. If one or both inserted incorrectly result rattling sound.

Conclusion:
Ignore if related to few specific CD.

Last edited:
Back