BHK250 with SL3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digilog5

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am thinking to transfer my BHK250 to another system driving my older SL3 well cared for, which still run great. I have had the BHK drive MG 1.7s for years with no issue, and for reference my older Bryston 4BST can drive the SL3’s pretty well (both the stats and woofer section) and at pretty loud levels. Would venture a guess the BHK250 is up to the task.
BHK seems to have 80000 uf capacitor bank per channel, vs 22,400uf /channel for the old Bryston, but that doesnt mean much. More importantly, BHK has a single dual wound 1000VA transformer vs the Bryston which has two separate transformers I think 500 or 600VA each. Anyone who has actually tried this amp with MLs? I absolutely love the amp. Will be driven by my BHK Preamp and source is PS DSD MK1 with APS mods.
Many thanks

Matter of interest, what are you feeling is the deficiency with the 4B-ST on the SL3's?

Until recently that's what I've been using... my amp has started showing error status on power up, and Bryston is (surprisingly) doing a bit of a money-grab to repair. They used to do an entire refurb for $800... now they offer a 'sight-unseen" to remedy the speific issue for $800, and aren't even providing quotes on a refurb.

It is more of a situation where I need to move around systems. So all the PS Audio gear will most likely move to be combined with the SL3s which I plan to keep. The Bryston will be delegated to other duties. There is no deficiency per se with the 4B-ST. With my ears it has always been a fantastic match with the SL3s which need a lively amp. That being said, the BHK does some things exceptionally well, including soundstage, black backgrounds, silky extended highs and hits the mark on the tone. It is a very different tonality compared to say the 4B-cube which I also tried for a while. My 4B-ST has been super reliable and only last year after almost 24 years of service had an issue at a cold joint at one output which was easy to fix. It has also been totally stable with the SL3. On book, the BHK should also do well but wanted some opinions from those that tried it. Sorry about the issues with your unit. Do they have a repair facility in the US or need to ship back to Canada?

I did match my SL3's with the BHK250 Stereo amp, It was great leap forward on the Theta Dreadnaught that I was previously using. At moderate volume levels all was well. However, I did manage to blow a overload protection fuse with both the SL3 and my ML 15A's when volume levels were higher. Easily resolved but eventually I part exchanged the BHK250 for SS Monoblocs (Chord Ultima 3's). I must admit I do prefer the precision of SS Poweramps.

Here we go - a Pic from 2019
System then was
BHK250 Driving SL3's via BHK Signature Preamp (sources being DirectStram DAC and Roon (as well as a BHK CD Transport).
Chord Multichannel Poweramp with Preamp in Bypass mode (there were a pair of older SL3's at the rear as well). Source being a Classe SSP-800 for 5.1 home cimema use.

Attachments

• Chord and SL3.jpg
    Chord and SL3.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thank you Kernel, this certainly helps and raises a red flag to me. Turning to think its more to do with the amp being differentially balanced but with a limit on current from the otherwise reasonable 1KVA power supply.

.... Sorry about the issues with your unit. Do they have a repair facility in the US or need to ship back to Canada?
After the acquisition by Axiom (?), they shut down the Vermont facility, so it has to go back to Canada. It seems they killed the Refurbishment programs, too. Kinda sucks... Asides from great product, the level of service is what kept me going back to Bryston (4B NRB, 4B-ST, 9B-ST, and a couple of re-badged Lexicons (NT225s). Probably start leaning into Anthem a bit more, tho' everyone is pulling back on service levels and support. Started under Pandemic supply chain issues, and is just being extended by everyone, everywhere.

Being in the 4th year of a boot-strapped startup, I don't have the cash laying around to send them a 25-yar old amp so they fix ONE thing for the same price they used to refurbish/check everything. So for now I have a Anthem MCA 20 running rear channels, and my 4B-ST sitting on a shelf in the garage!

p.s. If you're ever looking at getting rid of the 4B_ST... (!)

I did match my SL3's with the BHK250 Stereo amp, It was great leap forward on the Theta Dreadnaught that I was previously using. At moderate volume levels all was well. However, I did manage to blow a overload protection fuse with both the SL3 and my ML 15A's when volume levels were higher. Easily resolved but eventually I part exchanged the BHK250 for SS Monoblocs (Chord Ultima 3's). I must admit I do prefer the precision of SS Poweramps.

Here we go - a Pic from 2019
System then was
BHK250 Driving SL3's via BHK Signature Preamp (sources being DirectStram DAC and Roon (as well as a BHK CD Transport).
Chord Multichannel Poweramp with Preamp in Bypass mode (there were a pair of older SL3's at the rear as well). Source being a Classe SSP-800 for 5.1 home cimema use.
Thank you for the photo and the info. Thats pretty much the system I was thinking to use. I am surprised (but not entirely) given that the BHK can drive effortlessly not just the 1.7s but the 3.7i Maggies too. It just does so many things so well and the soundstage is great. Didn't want to look for the BHK monos. Guess I should stick with the Bryston. I am still gobsmacked everytime I hear this set. Preamp and digital driving the 4BST are Theta. In the old days, the only stuff I had listened when I was younger that could totally command the SL3s when new, were few Krells and the ML No.332. I did find also that cabling seems to matter with the vintage SL3s. Changed all power cords in everything, including amps and the SL3s. Also from the BST running parallel shotgunned biwired DH Labs Q10 and all interconnects are OCC silver.

Last edited:
Back