Moment of Truth part deux (part 2)!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A chair?

Are you serious?

Don't you live in an apartment?

Isn't that like buying a Ferrari and living on a small island? :)

LCD ... You don't gain any workspace but your eyes really will appreciate it.

Save the chair for when you get a bigger pad.

very few Ferrari owners own them because of the company history and the way they drive. They own them due to ego and because they can. Oh, and they don't use them...at least Summits get used in his apartment.:D

very few Ferrari owners own them because of the company history and the way they drive. They own them due to ego and because they can. Oh, and they don't use them...at least Summits get used in his apartment.:D

True at least they get used, but at the risk of sounding heretical... there's definitely ego involved in high end audio as well! This reminded me of a quote from zaphaudio.com... "Ears can not be trusted to make a distortion measurement, particularly when there is an emotional $5k price tag interfering with your judgement. " :D

That quote was made in reference to a test in which the Aurum Cantus G3Si ($213) and LCY 130 ($199) pure ribbon tweeters were absolutely manhandled in a series of tests, by a $55 ribbon and a $29 dome tweeter.

True at least they get used, but at the risk of sounding heretical... there's definitely ego involved in high end audio as well! This reminded me of a quote from zaphaudio.com... "Ears can not be trusted to make a distortion measurement, particularly when there is an emotional $5k price tag interfering with your judgement. " :D
The ego is definitely there. I have heard some very expensive systems that just do not bring you into the music, but yet the owners are sitting there gloating and stating I paid $10k for this, and $9k for that, and on and on. Price does not always equate to quality.

And for those component comparisons you talk about, it is usually the people that own the expensive component that will sit there and swear it sounds night and day better, when you are there thinking the sound is very close. Kind of reminds you of trips to the Audio Store - the more expensive the component, the greater the sales person puts on the pitch.

Dan

Sorry to hijack! I'll start a new thread to continue the ego/measurement/etc. topic.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?p=45558#post45558

Get the chair, Joey!!!!!

Another thing, once you get the 37" screen, you'll want a 42, then a 50, etc. Once you get the chair, you'll just want to sit in it. That's a better resolution to me.

If you wait a year, you won't end up getting a better chair, but you might end up getting a much better monitor/tv.

What about getting a chair AND the LCD ? Chair from GF and LCD from Mom and Dad... It does not have to be THAT chair - there was a great thread about chairs a while ago (http://67.19.167.226/~tdacquis/forum/showpost.php?p=39358&postcount=1) - with the Ekornes stressless models (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=ekornes&category0=) gathering a lot of appreciation.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd vote chair. Sitting well and sleeping well is very important, especially with the kind of life many of us have.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack! I'll start a new thread to continue the ego/measurement/etc. topic.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?p=45558#post45558

Get the chair, Joey!!!!!

Another thing, once you get the 37" screen, you'll want a 42, then a 50, etc. Once you get the chair, you'll just want to sit in it. That's a better resolution to me.

If you wait a year, you won't end up getting a better chair, but you might end up getting a much better monitor/tv.

I think 50 is the sweet spot up to about 12' ... Then it exponentially increases :)

too late I spoke

Yeah, didn't see the part deux

Posted some thought about the screen in part uno.

Now you raise some other questions eh?

I still vote for a CD player of some sort, you can do better than the SB through a DAC :p

I vote for this too - now that I have both I can say that a dedicated CD / SACD player really p1sses all over the SB/DAC (to my ears, with my DAC). Still wouldn't want to be without the SB though!

Great.... just great.... the coupon for the monitor expired because of my indecisiveness.....

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Get the chair,

Forget the wimpy 37" or 46" LCD. You want a front projector. Make it as big or as small as you like.

Great.... just great.... the coupon for the monitor expired because of my indecisiveness.....

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Prices are coming down ALL the time and quality is going up everyday, so just bide your time for a bit and go LOOK AT as many panels as you can! There are HUGE differences and you need to SEE them to really make a good decision.

Get the chair,

Forget the wimpy 37" or 46" LCD. You want a front projector. Make it as big or as small as you like.

Agreed...especially if you have good light control. I don't (cause I've been lazy about putting good blinds in) and I still love the projector (and it's an old crappy one to boot) You can get a damn nice projector for $1k these days. Then the chair is great for music listening AND movie watching!

I would spend the money into moving out into a larger apartment... back to the chair: just 1 chair is kinda selfish, especially when you have a GF. A 2-seat couch is surely better.

Attachments

• Immagine 1.jpg
    Immagine 1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I would spend the money into moving out into a larger apartment... back to the chair: just 1 chair is kinda selfish, especially when you have a GF. A 2-seat couch is surely better.

Oooh, but then if you center it...you're sitting right on the crack when you're in the sweet spot...gotta get a 1 or 3 cushion sofa for that! Or maybe she can just sit on his lap in the chair!

Oooh, but then if you center it...you're sitting right on the crack when you're in the sweet spot...gotta get a 1 or 3 cushion sofa for that! Or maybe she can just sit on his lap in the chair!

Hehe this crack is exactly my problem with our sweet spot.

Back