Moment of truth!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why's everyone voting the LCD?

An audio purchase or a non-audio purchase? I know which one I'd take every single time!!

You need to get that squeezebox hooked up to the dac!! CDs are only for ripping dontcha know? :p :p :p

THX Suggested distances

Here is the suggested distances for viewing as well as the distance necessary to see a 'difference' in resolutions of image. Interesting stuff. On a side note, I use almost a 50" screen as computer monitor, tv, and watchint etc. Once you go big, you don't want to go back..... It really makes things much nicer. Everything is all in one place, you dont need multiple setup areas....

Just a thought. I have taken alot of time to check out those westinghouse panels.... for the $ they perform quite well... The only advice I would give you as far as buying the LCD is this......times are changing, and quite rapidly. Checkout http://www.engadgethd.com and take a look at some of the new LCD panels coming out in the near future. Some will support contrast ratios that are just unheard of! The deepest blacks, richest colors, etc! HDMI 1.3 etc. Theses are all features to drool over and tech that will be and is already coming to the market.

Another thing to think about is when you are at the store looking at the panel, put your hand all around the edges of the screen, the side, the back, the top, the bottom (obviously not on the front...) and notice how much heat is emitted, then for sake of comparison, do the same with a samsung lcd or a sony xbr lcd. Notice the difference?

Heat is bad for the elements inside, it can hurt its life expectancy over time. If you get it from Bbuy, grab the warranty. Just my .02 When I was at bby we didn't really see many of them coming back, but they are fairly new to the market. My only concern is their life expectancy. To greater display my message, do the same heat test on a maxent panel. It's very obvious on those.

Bottom line, all rambling aside, LCD tech is changing very rapidly. And while you could drop a lil $ and enjoy the beauties of HD and a killer screen for viewing/gaming/etc in a short amount of time that same investment could turn out to render much more for the same $. And you know you love audio...... So think about how much you need a screen and how much you need the audio.....

My vote is split. I don't for a second regret getting this monstrosity of a screen :eek: as I type, i'm looking at its monumental size and have a big smile on my face. :rocker:

Attachments

• resolution_chart.jpg
    resolution_chart.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 51
  • distance_chart.jpg
    distance_chart.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 50

Latest posts

Back