In need of a Comfort Upgrade! Twich's thread... PART 2!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Alright... the LCD was not enough to satiate my desire to improve on my overall system.... so I've decided to also nab the chair.

Yes, the listening chair is definitely in-sight! I went to 6 total furniture stores and I sat in pretty much every recliner and lounge/ottoman combo I could find. In the end, I was left with the same 2 choices that I initially started out with, which is funny, but this solidifies the comfort and "greatness" of these two.

Eames Lounge Chair + Ottoman; one of the most popular modern pieces of this American half-century! If you doubt its popularity, you have to understand there is a cult-like following for this chair, a book solely on this chair, and an unveiling/museum event in New York last year when it turned 50 years old!

Eames:
P_ELO_E014.jpg

EN_GZS_P_20050926_009_W.jpg

The contender is the Zero Gravity Perfect Chair! Much easier to handle with the wallet... this is a remarkable chair! A lot of audiophiles use this very chair and I don't blame them.

Perfect Chair:
416KWVAG4CL._SS400_.jpg

Perfect_Chair_3_360.gif

My take on it, as I've sat on both:

The Eames is a work of art... when I first saw it in person, I didn't just plop my behind on it, I admired the stitching, the design, the parts used, the veneer... I admired the chair. I felt like it was more than a chair, and more like a object to stare at instead. Once I sat down, I could barely get up. The Eames was just so very comfortable. I could either slouch and let the entire chair engulf me, ottoman supporting my tired legs.. or I could sit straight up and position my ears at a point where I feel it would be acceptable for audio listening. BTW, the headrest does not go over my neck.... and I'm not tall. No headrest to go behind the ears for this audiophile!

The Perfect Chair is also an amazing chair. It looks spiffy and awe-inspiring in its own right. It's like a swiss army knife with regards to being a listening chair, it's highly customizeable and user-friendly (headrest tilt/neck support height/lumbar support/leg support). The chair is also very adjustable with regards to the recline, much more adjustable than the 1-position Eames. When sitting at zero recline, the chair is quite comfy, albeit, not as comfy as the Eames... but with a steeper recline comes more comfort... and by the time we get to full zero-G recline, my back feels almost weightless. Though I may never use the full zero-G recline for listening to music, I was able to envision myself listening comfortable at about 1/3-1/2 recline.... especially since the headrest can be adjusted to allow a forward tilt. In addition, I found that the Perfect Chair is actually not too bad when it comes to audio, because there is a pillow that one puts behind the neck and this pulls your head about 6-8 from the back head rest. Now, despite some may not liking the headrest behind your head, most recliners I've been on reach my ears and even my manager's chair which I use to listen at the moment, reach my ears... so I'm not gaining or losing anything. If anything the headrest of the Perfect Chair is an improvement over anything I have and over what most people have.

Overall, the Perfect Chair is NOT as well built as the Eames, that's for sure. The Eames exudes class... it exudes a bullet-proof design that has lasted 51 years. The Perfect Chair, while designed well, is not up to par. But then again, it's not $3300. The Perfect Chair is not an American Icon, it is not in any museum. And all this hype around a chair may not necessarily be a good thing as I find myself thinking to myself that I'd rather take care of a chair the caliber of an Eames rather than plop my butt on it. The Perfect Chair is more of a workhorse in my eyes, I wouldn't mind drinking water/drinks while on it, but I sure as heck would watch myself a lot closer if it were the Eames.

Bottomline, it's about the cash. I dont want to spend more than I have to and each dollar I spend on this chair will limit future audio expenditures.... for sure. It is $1100 (due to a friend) for the Black on Black Perfect Chair with UPGRADED PREMIUM leather (normally $2195) vs the Black on Natural Cherry/Walnut (depending on whether I want to match my Nat Cherry Summits) which with haggling costs $2795 w/ tax (normally $3500 with tax).

In the end, I guess I could summarize it like this; the Perfect Chair almost lives up to its name, be it not for the Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman.

Thoughts?

I want to do this right. Do it once and do it right is my motto... but then again, I dont want to completely OVERDO it, you know? I mean, both are already overkill... but I just dont want to fall into the trap of spending more than I have to.

Thanks guys and just let me know which chair you prefer (take into account the money PLEASE!!) and why. I dont need anymore tips on other chairs because I'm pretty set on these two. I've sat on the Swan which I didnt like for audio, the Le Corbesier is too fat and uncomfy, the Barcelona is too expensive and stiff, etc... The Ikea chairs are too flimsy and a waste because I'm going to end up getting another chair within a certain time period anyway.

So yeah... just help me out and decide between the two. Thanks guys.

And this is my gift to myself for my birthday... I'm excited to finally have my listening chair right around the bend.

Joey

Last edited:
A shortened list of how I see it:

Eames:
Pros:
Comfy as heck
Longevity established
Design is top-notch, engineering too
Headrest does not reach ears

Cons:
May be just about the limit at which is acceptable for ideal listening height (not if I was as tall as Wayne though...:mad:)
1-position
Price
An icon - I may not be as keen to beat the living crap out of it.

Perfect Chair:
Pros:
Comfy
Design is good
Awesome position choices! Reclines to any position I want.
Perfect listening height!
Price isn't too bad... I suppose.
Not an icon - which means I wont feel bad beating the crap out of it.

Cons:
Longevity is questionable
Engineering is not Eames caliber
Headrest reaches ear level

This could be a more difficult decision than purchase of electronics. It doesn't make anything sound better. I doesn't make anything look better. But it looks and feels good. We have some expensive furniture and every piece was worth the cost and the style still looks good today. You may live with this chair for many years.

If part of the purchase is for watching the new panel than the Perfect Chair may be the one. I can't imagine you reclining to listen to listen to music with the exception of knowing you are going to doze off with good tunes in the back ground.

You seem, as many here quite particular about what you own. Reading your description of the chairs and how you felt I think the Eames is the one. It has a classic style and you know it will last for years. Even if your surroundings change it will be easier to integrate the Eames to most any atmosphere.

My guess is if it were not for the price disparity you would have already picked the Eames.

As the mother of a friend said "You will seldom be unhappy being patient and then going with a first class product".

My suggestion is go with the Eames even if it means waiting a little longer.

I love the perfect chair. Love it. However, if you are thinking about an eames, I think you might kick yourself for the next 50 years if you don't get it. It is a masterpiece of design. Beautiful, durable, comfortable. I don't think you can get a better chair.

I owned 'The Perfect chair', my son know has it in Colorado, the Eames I've sat in....it's Ok , it comes down to ones shape and size. For me hands down the winner is.......Ekornes / Stressless, the 'Vegas'. I will be picking mine up next week.

Also, Brad, it does help to improve the sound, for if the body is trully comfortable then the brains aurotory (yes I misspelled that one I'm sure) functions perform better !

For me it is no contest Eames all the way. I have admired this chair from back in my collage days when I was in design class. This is a chair you can live with for life and will never want to part with. Very few things in life you can say that about.

Joey, if you buy one from Herman Miller it will not drop in value, it may even go up in value over the years.

Kiddo, again you may not want to hear it, but........... for a grand to fifteen hundred less than the Eames you owe it to yourself to at least look at the Ekornes line. I'll bet you a 'Martini' @ the Lawrence gathering next month you will find a BETTER chair for the $$$ ....NO DOUBT ABOUT IT !!!

One cannot surround themselves with too much beauty! Go for the Eames. :music:

My grandfather left behind an Eames that is as old as I can remember (I'm 35) ... And it's still as good as ever.

If you don't think you could say that about the Stressless, go with the Eames (I would!) :)

Eames hands down. There is not even an argument. The Eames is classic and elegant. The stressless is neither classic nor elegant. In fact it is boring.

The Eames is classic and elegant. The stressless is neither classic nor elegant. In fact it is boring.

LOL, Obviously you have NOT sat in the two, for in terms of ergonomics, different sizes, adjustibility, etc. Ekornes is a CLEAR winner. Besides if you make a decission on a chair of this calibre (Eames, whatever) without "test driving", what does that say about you as an audiophile ??? Would you buy
a 5-10k piece of audio gear without auditioning ??? I should hope not !!

LOL, Obviously you have NOT sat in the two, for in terms of ergonomics, different sizes, adjustibility, etc. Ekornes is a CLEAR winner. Besides if you make a decission on a chair of this calibre (Eames, whatever) without "test driving", what does that say about you as an audiophile ??? Would you buy
a 5-10k piece of audio gear without auditioning ??? I should hope not !!

I have sat in both chairs and perfer the Eames. I just love its styling and look. Not to mention it is very comfortable to me. I meant no offense to stressless chair owners I just perfer the Eames hands down.

I cannot tell a lie. I have bought several pieces of equipment sight unseen and sight unheard that retail for 5, 10, or 20k. Martin Logan Summits being one of those pieces. I have serial numbers 7 and 8.

Thanks much everyone... I'm still flip-flopping and probably wont decide until this coming weekend.

It's real difficult to decide between 2 lovely chairs, both of which are truly upgrades to the computer chair that I currently use.... no doubt about it.

I am just not very sure about the Eames' height.... I will seriously try to make a 14" mini stool and listen to my system. If it cant be a good listening chair, then there's no point in it for me. The Perfect Chair, on the other hand, is of the perfect height....

:music: (soon!)

Visited Design Within Reach today... the store... sat on the Eames again.

Man... so comfy... but I'm thinking it might be just a tad bit short for me. I'm not tall like Wayne so I may not be placing my ears at the right spot.

Joey :(

The initial inspiration for the Perfect Chair

Visited Design Within Reach today... the store... sat on the Eames again. Man... so comfy... but I'm thinking it might be just a tad bit short for me. I'm not tall like Wayne so I may not be placing my ears at the right spot. Joey :(
. . . . .and many others came from this original Corbusier lounge; it has a fixed contour, but the whole thing can be slid on its base from reclining to sitting up. The picture shows the classic Pony hide (~ $1200) but it can be had for less.

For MartinLogan listening, at distances less than 15 feet from the speakers, I feel it essential that ones ears be at mid-panel height when seated -- this makes the Eames too low in most settings. BTW, there are some pretty good original Eames' on Ebay from time to time like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=130113484836&rd=1&rd=1 (avoid the Plycraft reproductions) I do like the Perfect Chair, and others like it. And not even an Eames is worth having if it doesn't provide the functionality you need for a listening chair.

When you said "Comfort Upgrade" I thought you meant some tweak that had the same effect as "comfort food" LOL

Attachments

• lecorbusierponychaise-2.jpg
    lecorbusierponychaise-2.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Neil...

Thanks for the input!

I looked at the Le Corbusier lounge chair and its too low (13" off the ground vs the 14" that the EAMES is)..... and this is at the max upright position.

And I looked all over eBay and I'm not fond of buying gear that may be replicas over the net. If I go Eames, I have to buy from an authorized dealer and take the hit.

Looks like I'm beginning to sway towards the Perfect Chair..... the height is just right.

Joey

Joey, at which point?

I looked at the Le Corbusier lounge chair and its too low (13" off the ground vs the 14" that the EAMES is)..... and this is at the max upright position. Joey

Wow, that's just a foot! From the floor to your ear?

Back