In need of a Comfort Upgrade! Twich's thread... PART 2!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that's just a foot! From the floor to your ear?

Floor to butt....

I listened to my system today and yesterday night.... and I sat on a 13" stool.... it definitely muffled quite a bit of the Strata Minis. And the Summits just weren't as good at 13" as I thought they sounded with my chair at 20". Although the Summits held up quite a bit better than the Strata Minis did at 13" (meaning the deviation wasn't as bad), I fear that if I end up with the 14" EAMES, I might regret it especially if I end up getting different speakers in the future.

Nothing is ever certain, but I want the chair to remain for quite some time. Gotta think this over a bit more...

Joey

How about building a platform for the Eames to sit on? It would give you the slightly-elevated position you are looking for, and would be similar to the sloped seating in a theater. The idea probably has low WAF, but I seem to recall that that isn't a factor in your case.

Typical 2x10 or 2x12 lumber spaced 16" on center would probably be just the right height (actual dimensions are slightly less), and the platform joists would sit directly on the existing floor.

How about building a platform for the Eames to sit on? It would give you the slightly-elevated position you are looking for, and would be similar to the sloped seating in a theater. The idea probably has low WAF, but I seem to recall that that isn't a factor in your case.

Typical 2x10 or 2x12 lumber spaced 16" on center would probably be just the right height (actual dimensions are slightly less), and the platform joists would sit directly on the existing floor.

A $3500 chair and you gotta build a "jerry rigged" elevation system......pleaaaaase !!!! I know the general consensus is the Ekornes is not in the same league, BUT if you would at least look and sit you will find that their offerings of many diferent shapes, sizes, seating HIEGHTS, etc will provide you what your "butt" is looking for.

Visited Design Within Reach today... the store... sat on the Eames again.

Man... so comfy... but I'm thinking it might be just a tad bit short for me. I'm not tall like Wayne so I may not be placing my ears at the right spot.

Joey :(

Reviving the sponsoring of the Stressless, here... did you know that they come in S M L options ? Depending on your body you can pick the right one.

Special order

Floor to butt.. . . . . Nothing is ever certain, but I want the chair to remain for quite some time. Gotta think this over a bit more...Joey

Joey, if you're dead set on the Eames and would be ordering a new one, I could probably have one special ordered (at their architect's 40% discount) for you with a hydraulic adjustable-height pedestal (they didn't have those when the chair was originally produced) I have a couple calls in to HM. I'll let you know what they say. Such a deal!

Oh and BTW, the best bet for measuring is to first measure from the floor to the vertical midpoint of the electrostatic panel itself. Then have someone measure from the floor to your ear, when seated normally in the subject chair. Since chairs have different suspension/upholstery characteristics, tilt mechanisms, etc., floor-to-butt measurements aren't much help.

N

Last edited:
Joey, if you're dead set on the Eames and would be ordering a new one, I could probably have one special ordered (at their architect's 40% discount) for you with a hydraulic adjustable-height pedestal (they didn't have those when the chair was originally produced) I have a couple calls in to HM. I'll let you know what they say. Such a deal!

Oh and BTW, the best bet for measuring is to first measure from the floor to the vertical midpoint of the electrostatic panel itself. Then have someone measure from the floor to your ear, when seated normally in the subject chair. Since chairs have different suspension/upholstery characteristics, tilt mechanisms, etc., floor-to-butt measurements aren't much help.

N

Neil,

If that customization doesnt cost too much, that would be great! If not, then I think I'm going with the Perfect Chair, despite the fact that I'm sure the Ekornes is just as good... I just haven't sat in one.

Let me know Neil.. I'm looking at a 17-18" chair height.... right now, they say the Eames is 15", but if I measure from the rear, it's only 13".

No mods on the Eames

Neil,If that customization doesnt cost too much, that would be great! If not, then I think I'm going with the Perfect Chair, despite the fact that I'm sure the Ekornes is just as good... I just haven't sat in one. Let me know Neil.. I'm looking at a 17-18" chair height.... right now, they say the Eames is 15", but if I measure from the rear, it's only 13".
Joey, nix on the mod, they won't do it. Frankly, I like the Perfect Chair better than the Ekornes for your purposes. And I like the looks of the Perfect way better. Plus, you can get factory referbs. (as new w/ warranty) from the distributor, VitalityNet, for 1/2 of retail:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MOCHA-LEATHER-T...ryZ19263QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Joey, nix on the mod, they won't do it. Frankly, I like the Perfect Chair better than the Ekornes for your purposes. And I like the looks of the Perfect way better. Plus, you can get factory referbs. (as new w/ warranty) from the distributor, VitalityNet, for 1/2 of retail:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MOCHA-LEATHER-T...ryZ19263QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks Neil.. really appreciate you trying!

I think the Perfect Chair is for me... going to get the Premium leather upgrade baby!!

Today's my birthday and all I want is shipping confirmation for my chair.... is that too much to ask??? :mad:

I have to concur with Twich54 and CharlieMike,, we have been fans of the Ekornes Stressless collection for years. The choices in leather grade, wood, colors, sizes, etc are endless.
The price is very reasonable, quality chairs.

Lee

Your braver than I am.
Took a look at th price tag:eek: and told the wife, "I 'm not sittin in that!", for fear I might like it.
Oh, you'd like it alright. It is totally worth it, too, even if you'd need two, one for yourself and one for your wife. There are reasons why they are called "stressless".

I need to get the pic of my Zero Gravity chair up.... it's one nice chair. Only problem is that once you recline, you don't want to get back up.

Joey :)

PS
David... my birthday was over 2 months ago! :p :p

Your braver than I am.
Took a look at th price tag:eek: and told the wife, "I 'm not sittin in that!", for fear I might like it.

It wasn't mine and I got kicked out of it by my host so a chick could sit in it ... But my brief time in it was marvelous.

It will be my primary seating when I finally get to build a theatre in a house and not a condo ;)

...PS
David... my birthday was over 2 months ago! :p :p
That means that your chair is not even properly broken in yet. I heard that just like Summits they need about 500 hours until they give your midrange and lower extremities that magical support. :D

Back