Moment of truth!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Alright kiddies....

Now I'm at a crossroads here. I have a choice between two great things! On one end, I can improve my digital front end just that much more by going with a mint Silver Aluminum Cary 306/200 CDP with digital inputs OR I can go with something completely non-audio related, and get myself a 37" 1080P LCD screen for my bedroom computer system.

Now, keep in mind that I am smitten by the performance of my newly arrived, 3week old PS Audio Digital Link III DAC and I have actually been able to sit through entire albums for once, and not having to flip around for only the "good songs"... this DAC is a blessing! And I guess the decision hinders on whether I can improve on this "blessing" even further by going with what was once a $5000 CDP.

Or, I can go with a sure-fire improvement... and replace my 24" Dell LCD with the 37" LCD 1080P monster...

Both will damage my wallet equally... but this is an early birthday present from the parents and the gf.

Help me everyone!

BTW, can't go vinyl just yet, need more than I have. :)

Tough choice.....I would say if you are satisfied with the DAC's addition to your musical experience, stick with it...and wait until it starts to "fade"....then you will be more motivated to upgrade the audio and might even find a better upgrade than what you currently have planned.....

I vote LCD. :) The newest wave of LCD tech. has really realy improved their video quality. I have always been more attracted to plasma, but the newest LCDs are so impressive, it would be a tough choice now. Which one are you looking at? I would take a look at the newest LG and Runco models.

westjerker.jpg

Picture004-2.jpg

w15.jpg

OR
1176560495.jpg

Last edited:
agreed. get the LCD. I think you're going to start running into diminishing returns You could always get an Oppo 970 and run it through the dac...that should get you a good bit of the way to the cary's level of performance, for MUCH less money.

LCDLCDLCDLCDLCDLCDLCDLCD :)

That Westy looks awesome ... I wish I had $1100 lying around :)

I have 2 19" LCDs but it's not the same :)

I think I have to agree with everyone else. You will get more bang for the buck with upgrading your LCD screen at this point. My only caveat is that prices on these are dropping all the time and you might want to do some research to see when the next big price drop might come along. A little patience may get you more for less.

And what's all this nonsense about an "early" birthday present? Next thing we know you will be opening Christmas presents in October. I swear, kids today just have no patience . . . :D

And what's all this nonsense about an "early" birthday present? Next thing we know you will be opening Christmas presents in October. I swear, kids today just have no patience . . . :D

Birthday is in less than 4 weeks away! Mwahahahahaha!!

Go with the screen. The Cary is very good but IMO not a huge jump from what you're using now. With the exception of a few truly remarkable or "characterful" CD players (including, I have to say, that new Rega Saturn) the differences between high-end CDPs seem to be less profound than those between speakers or between tubes and SS. But that's one beautiful screen -- think of how nice that hi-rez Summit screensaver will look!

best,

k

The real moment of truth will be on June 23rd when we learn if Joey_V (aka "The Evil One" :devil: ) will be in Lawrence with the rest of the cool kids.

C'mon Joey... Get on it!!

:D

How far away from the monitor do you plan to be? If you are going to use it mostly or in the long run as a TV then 37" is not going to be NEARLY big enough. If you plan on using it as a computer monitor and while sitting at a fairly standard computer desk then 37" is probably going to be to big. I have a 23" Apple LCD as well as a 22" and they are both DAMN big for monitors. I am not sure i ouwl have any need for bigger, but for WOW factor a 30" might be nice...

If you are gaming and using it for computer BE SURE and get LCD though, NOT plasma, burn it will be fast and distinct on a plasma!

The real moment of truth will be on June 23rd when we learn if Joey_V (aka "The Evil One" :devil: ) will be in Lawrence with the rest of the cool kids.

C'mon Joey... Get on it!!

:D

I'm getting I'm getting!! :)

How far away from the monitor do you plan to be? If you are going to use it mostly or in the long run as a TV then 37" is not going to be NEARLY big enough. If you plan on using it as a computer monitor and while sitting at a fairly standard computer desk then 37" is probably going to be to big. I have a 23" Apple LCD as well as a 22" and they are both DAMN big for monitors. I am not sure i ouwl have any need for bigger, but for WOW factor a 30" might be nice...

If you are gaming and using it for computer BE SURE and get LCD though, NOT plasma, burn it will be fast and distinct on a plasma!

I have the 24" Dell... and it's perfect for me.... but I'm thinking a 37" sitting nearfield at 1080P would be perfect-er!! Plus, I get to watch movies at a decent size from a distance, if I choose to.

Seems like the consensus is for the LCD....

Hrm.... didnt expect this from an audio forum... ;).

Joey, my vote is the LCD. Just remember, you are going to need a source of HD programmming if you are to truly enjoy the LCD (and you will truly enjoy it). I like my DISH 622 and I like my cheap RCA HD DVD player. HT is everybit as addicting as audio! And we wouldn't be here if we weren't addicts would we?

Another vote for the LCD, because Joey would then be encouraged to fill out his system to 5.1, search for 4 four speakers and their amps, a processor, etc. In other words, because we don't want joeyitis to end!

Another vote for the LCD, because Joey would then be encouraged to fill out his system to 5.1, search for 4 four speakers and their amps, a processor, etc. In other words, because we don't want joeyitis to end!

Hehehehehe.....

I'm going to sleep on this one.. but I think the LCD is it. There is one other thing I'm contemplating about though....

Hrm.....

*thinking face*

Lcd

Joey,

At the risk of following the crowd.... I'd vote for the LCD as well :D

Why's everyone voting the LCD?

An audio purchase or a non-audio purchase? I know which one I'd take every single time!!

Back