CLX Home in Michigan

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greatness!
Congrats on the purchase and deal of a lifetime :bowdown:
I also tend to use Sissel Kyrkjebø when listening to new gear, her voice is amazing to say the least and if the gear isn't up to snuff, it will sound shrill and you can instantly tell that something isn't kosher.
Happy listening!

The room is 19x25 with a vaulted ceiling going to 12' the wall that the speakers are on is 15'wide as I said on another post the problem with all rooms are doorways. I really had my prodigys singing in the room and already the CLX's are considrerably better and can only get better.

Last edited:
The look is the best I have seen. This is the first time I have seen the black anodized aluminum.

I agree black Annivs look great in the flesh.

Great price for Annivs - and a great speaker, too. Enjoy!:music:

Here is another CLX tweak I discovered recently. Actually doorways are not that big of a problem.

Again go to Home Depot and pickup several 4 by 8 foot sheets of plywood at least 3/4 of an inch thick along with some 3 inch nails. Go ahead and turn your system up kind of loud and then nail the plywood over the doorways.

Add room treatments to taste. The only issue is that some people and I won't name names, will object to using crow bars and claw hammers to get out of the room:D

But the best part of this tweak though is that no one can get in.

If you really like this tweak, it is worth it to spend the extra money and use screws instead of nails and keep a screw gun handy.:rocker:

CLX 25th Anniversary is Special!

Congratulations on the new speakers! You got a real nice deal especially the 25th anniversary edition. Does anybody know how many 25th anniversary models made? When ML had the CLX debut here in Los Angeles, the ML representative told me that the importer in Germany wanted all the 25th anniversary models but ML would not agree.

Congratulations on the new speakers! You got a real nice deal especially the 25th anniversary edition. Does anybody know how many 25th anniversary models made? When ML had the CLX debut here in Los Angeles, the ML representative told me that the importer in Germany wanted all the 25th anniversary models but ML would not agree.

IIRC, ML made 100 pairs of the 25th Anniversary CLXes.

right there were 100 pairs made and albert said there were 50 pairs in the US not sure about the color ratio.

Ken,

I almost forgot, there is one thing that you have to do to the CLXs at 50 and again at either 100 or 150 hours. And that is pop the caps off the top of the frames and use a allen wrench to tighten the frame down. I noticed my CLX panels moving and then I noticed they were really moving after I listened to them non stop in the beginning. My dealer showed me what and where the allen screws were when he set my CLXs up and he told me to tighten them after 50 and 150 hours and then just check them from time to time after that. In your case that will probably be 2 days.:D

Just as a side note, the mass loading tweak seems to reduce the amount of looseness in the frame..... at least I think that is a word.

Ken,

I almost forgot, there is one thing that you have to do to the CLXs at 50 and again at either 100 or 150 hours. And that is pop the caps off the top of the frames and use a allen wrench to tighten the frame down. I noticed my CLX panels moving and then I noticed they were really moving after I listened to them non stop in the beginning. My dealer showed me what and where the allen screws were when he set my CLXs up and he told me to tighten them after 50 and 150 hours and then just check them from time to time after that. In your case that will probably be 2 days.:D

Just as a side note, the mass loading tweak seems to reduce the amount of looseness in the frame..... at least I think that is a word.

I have to say when standing close and handling a CLX, I was amazed at how easy it was to rock them back and forth. It's a very light structure as a whole. I therefore postulate that anything you can do to try and make the frame structure more rigid has to be a good thing. One also wonders if ML couldn't have done a better job with those loosening bolts...:D

One kind of wonders what the effect of doing Alistair's of SME type approach to the Quad would have on the CLX... i.e. mount the whole structure in an extremely rigid frame.

Ken,

can you use lock tite on them after you tighten them ? would that help

One kind of wonders what the effect of doing Alistair's of SME type approach to the Quad would have on the CLX... i.e. mount the whole structure in an extremely rigid frame.
I think you'll get your answer to that question after Chris (C.A.P.) buys a pair of CLX :devil:

Not sure if locktite is the answer. I think the vibrations and movement back and forth just means that you have to keep tightening down the allen screws. I really don't think they are backing out.....but I could be wrong.

Anyway, at least with mine it takes a whole 60 seconds to pop out the foam caps and drop a standard allen wrench in and give it a 1/2 turn or so. Pop the caps back on and you are good to go.

I talked to Jim Power about the mass loading on the cabinet and he said he had heard that helps and I guess that makes sense it keeps the vibrations down, but wow it really enhances the bass.

I think you'll get your answer to that question after Chris (C.A.P.) buys a pair of CLX :devil:
Im trying to donate Organs but they dont want saturated and worn out ones!:ROFL:

Ken is now the man which has everything.

Jump him boys.:D

Congrats, they look awesome.

I have been sliding them across the room a few inches at a time and I am pretty sure that I have the sweet spot 5 feet from the front wall about 6 feet apart with 1 1/2" of toe in. CAP is coming over tomorrow and we will be spiking them I have minimal rake and expect to keep it about 1 to 2 inches.

These are some really great speakers I had my Prodigies for almost 7 years and really never thought about replacing them, but the magic of a full range ES is something that has to be heard to be fully appreciated.

Traded them in got a pretty good no bs price. being in the Chicago area you should check out his place the other CLX's were sounding pretty good.

It's probbly too early.

At some point will you consider a line source sub system to go with the CLX.?

You could poach one from another manufacturer.:cool:

Back