11As or 13As?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with you. Playing quietly on demand is something difficult for many speakers to do. Regarding panels, the larger the better especially if you can take them a few feet in from the front wall. They also sound great in spaces that are not rooms, but open up to somewhere else in the home.
Does anyone know if Clarisys speakers, the studio plus, are able to play quietly? They are planar. I am always wondering about the next step past my cls speakers.
ttocs, I hope to see you at Axpona.
I will have a chance to audition them week after Easter.
It will be big room, paired with tube stuff Lampizator etc.

What I have heard as a feedback so far - Apogees reborn.

I
I will have a chance to audition them week after Easter.
It will be big room, paired with tube stuff Lampizator etc.

What I have heard as a feedback so far - Apogees reborn.
You are another member I feel thankful to meet on this forum. I appreciate all of your help. The Trinnov Altitude's ability to take care of getting a sweet spot in the middle of an open floor plan house is just amazing. I am getting my second calibration in about 30 days. I am adding more gear and that Trinnov 4.3.2 update that will mitigate background noises in that same open floor plan home. I read your submissions at AVS and you give sound advice there. You seem to be accepted there as a expert and I hope you are getting that experience here.
I am grateful.

Update:
Their listening room was well treated with bass traps, high frequency panels behind the speakers, albeit the speakers were a bit far from the back wall for my taste. I have heard the 11As and the 15 A's several times, and have to say the brightness factor on the 11As was quite startling. This was at Overture AV in Wilmington, Delaware.
No one has 13As available to audition unless you are willing to pay a "demo fee" for them to unbox them. And then these will not be broken in panels to audition.
I am going back again this coming Friday to relisten with Tidal as music source, tube amps, see if I can soften the 11 As to be closer to my liking.
The old Aerius did not have that pronounced high end bias. Maybe my ears are just not used to that? or the CD player I was using as music source was affecting the high end perception?

Am I overthinking this?

I can't imagine the 13s sounding any less bright. It could just be the way they had their system tuned too. Did they use a subwoofer? I'm a firm believer in always using a sub with these speakers. Without a subwoofer, my Prodigys sound bright too.

Last edited:
Update:
Their listening room was well treated with bass traps, high frequency panels behind the speakers, albeit the speakers were a bit far from the back wall for my taste. I have heard the 11As and the 15 A's several times, and have to say the brightness factor on the 11As was quite startling. This was at Overture AV in Wilmington, Delaware.
No one has 13As available to audition unless you are willing to pay a "demo fee" for them to unbox them. And then these will not be broken in panels to audition.
I am going back again this coming Friday to relisten with Tidal as music source, tube amps, see if I can soften the 11 As to be closer to my liking.
The old Aerius did not have that pronounced high end bias. Maybe my ears are just not used to that? or the CD player I was using as music source was affecting the high end perception?

Am I overthinking this?
Look at how the BASS CONTROL and MID BASS switch are set on the speakers. These have a big impact on the sound.

There is a discussion on the audiogonforum.com about “brightness” in upper midrange of 11a. As a former Prodigy and current 13a owner, I would never characterize their sound, this way.
Instead of a subwoofer, I use a Black Ice SS-X Sound Expander, and never a brightness issue, regardless of settings.

Brightness can be the result of too much of toe-in or wromg rake.

Positioning can have great influence on tonal balance.

I have 11A’s and don’t find them overly bright. When compared to other speakers at my dealer, I found most others to be significantly brighter to the point of being fatiguing. That said, mine are paired with McIntosh equipment (tube pre, ss amp) which is a little more laid back than others. And like Fidji99 said, all the ML panels are very particular about positioning. A change in position as small as a couple inches can result in big changes.

Update:

Am I overthinking this?
I purchased my 11A's from Overture a few years ago. Took a long time to break in. If you are nearby you are welcome to take a listen. I use VTL MB 450's. I am not far from Overture. Will PM you.

Back