SOLD my CLX, to me again!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rower30

Reaction score
I have two sets of speakers, T+A Solitaire CWT1000-40 Carbon's and the CLX with two BF212 subs (I don't use the subs with the CWT's).

I'll swap the speakers in and out on occasion and haven't done the swap in awhile after changing electronics; PA3100HV, SD3100HV, M40 mono and amps the ICONOCLAST sereis II speaker cables throughout.

I did a quick, for CLX!, set-up. I just placed them in front of the CWT's and just went for it. Near no toe-in and eight feet apart. The BF212 subs are easy pessy with the CLX, just use the downloaded cross-over slope and set the subs volume. I don't use the DSP as much as it isn't needed in my 40' long room. I have few bass nodes.

But WOW, the CLX with the subs are intoxicating to listen to like no other. With all the new electronics and stuff they REALLY are impressive too. Since this isn't a production speaker anymore they would be REALLY hard to replace with something as good. The STAT bass panels get the transient detail out into the room really well. OK, STATS aren't pure DYNAMIC impact, but nothing beats their edge detail and tonality, they "describe" the music so, so well. Open baffel speakers can pull you in to the music like no other. The better the speaker the better they pull you into the source and the CLX are a super alloy magnet in that regard.

For those of you who have them, I'd be real careful to sell them. You'll never get this performance back. Sure, the CLX need two subs and are expensive to get going over single panel hybrids but WOW, the CLX are good. I sell them to myself over and over when I swap the 1000-40 and the CLX. The T+A 1000-40 are really good STAT hybrid line source speakers but the CWT's can't get that open baffel sound that is so enjoyable to snuggle into.

If you do see a set in good shape, and like quality STATS, the CLX are a really good find, because when they find your ears you are stuck with them!

Last edited:
Some people still feel like its heresy to use subs with stereo speakers when listening to music. They are missing out, that's for sure.

Indeed. But my experience is to get the right sub meaning not too big. For music my ML 1100 gives a better result than the 1600, which by contrast is better for films. I even have it set 3db lower for music than films - originally to avoid any turntable hiccups but actually gives a better result also for other sources.

Indeed. But my experience is to get the right sub meaning not too big. For music my ML 1100 gives a better result than the 1600, which by contrast is better for films. I even have it set 3db lower for music than films - originally to avoid any turntable hiccups but actually gives a better result also for other sources.
Do you have your subs connected using both LFE and speaker level? I find with my setup, using only LFE, that I need more bass from my subs when listening to music. I use one BF 210 and one 21 inch PSA.
I'm not exactly sure why the bass signal is much lighter when listening to music in stereo. The sub setting in the Marantz receiver is indeed of course set to on for stereo. I suspect using speaker level for stereo would probably provide a better signal, but I don't want to screw with that. I can't even remember if the BF 210 has that connection. The old Depth i I have does.

Only LFE. Sounds like amp dependent? Or room dependent? Or maybe ear dependent? Would love to try the BF, but I have a Grotto (one woofer only) and didn't detect a real difference in the sound quality compared to the Dynamo. The Grotto is excelent with music but movies somewhat lacks the punch. I am trying to figure out a way to combine the two for films and only the Grotto for music without changing setup evry time (one sub to two subs). Moreover to get things to work with Dirac since the processor only manage one sub. Any advice welcome.

I have modified CLX with a pair of Descent I c/w CLX filters to match the low frequency roll off. I'm very happy with my set up but am sure that a pair of BF212 would be even better. A friend has CLX and uses a pair of JL Audio F212 with his, very impressive.

Meanwhile, enjoy the music

Do you have your subs connected using both LFE and speaker level? I find with my setup, using only LFE, that I need more bass from my subs when listening to music. I use one BF 210 and one 21 inch PSA.
I'm not exactly sure why the bass signal is much lighter when listening to music in stereo. The sub setting in the Marantz receiver is indeed of course set to on for stereo. I suspect using speaker level for stereo would probably provide a better signal, but I don't want to screw with that. I can't even remember if the BF 210 has that connection. The old Depth i I have does.
I agree. 2 different sub manufacturers and 5 different amps. 3 tube and 2 SS amps always sounded better using the speaker lever connections. For me much more control and better integration.

Only LFE. Sounds like amp dependent? Or room dependent? Or maybe ear dependent? Would love to try the BF, but I have a Grotto (one woofer only) and didn't detect a real difference in the sound quality compared to the Dynamo. The Grotto is excelent with music but movies somewhat lacks the punch. I am trying to figure out a way to combine the two for films and only the Grotto for music without changing setup evry time (one sub to two subs). Moreover to get things to work with Dirac since the processor only manage one sub. Any advice welcome.
Its weird how bass is not as pronounced in music. In movies its huge. Im able to adjust it to where I need it though.

I agree. 2 different sub manufacturers and 5 different amps. 3 tube and 2 SS amps always sounded better using the speaker lever connections. For me much more control and better integration.
I suspect that is the case when listening to music in stereo. I should probably try it, but im too lazy to mess with it.

I trust the movies because the LFE giving a significant bass bost for special effects (think 10 times more). And for music I find many add way to much bass to the sound so the philharmonic ends sounding like disco music so to speak. But surely bass is complicated to master amd has always been.

I also have loved my CLX paired with JL Audio E110 subs. Unfortunately a move is forcing me to sell them, so anyone in the market for these unicorns please see my listing in the classifieds here.

G'day maties, greetings from down unda.

Ah... the CLX's, oh yeah nothing quite like them. I've posted a few notes in the Intro Tab for those who've read through and seen the pics of my rig will know the big WOOF.

With reference to Nuri58's post, I may add:
Started out with Quad ESL's using Gradient subs (made in England), driven with conrad johnson amplifiers, fantastic! Then went onto Maggie's (every model in the MG3. series and the MG20.1) then on Infinity's IRS 1B's, Renaissance 90, and Epsilon then back to newer Quads and finally onto ML stats. In-between, also had the Apogee Diva's, Wilson's and the CLSIIz's. Although quite a number of SS amps were used in form or another, the primary focus was always based around tubes. Oh for the love of tooobs.

Anyhoo, from the moment I first heard the awesome ML Statements Evo-II's and the CLSIIz's, I knew that was my end game. Then I came across TAS and Stereophile when they listed the CLX's on the front covers and won speaker of the year few years running, from 2008 to 2010, I had to audition these. Fast fwd that to Sept 2018 and I finally purchased a pair of CLX Art's.

Travelling through the Sth East Asian region whenever I get a chance, mostly around Feb or Aug each year, going through Spore and HK I've auditioned some very lofty gear. These systems are usually within the 300 to 500grand price range, with the occasional 700grand and above Wilson Benesch systems with Ypsilon amplifiers, the Magico Q7's with CH Precision, the Genesis Dragons with Solution gear or the Alsyvox ribbons with Dartzeel amps, very very pricey stuff and very very impressive!

Nonetheless, impressive is not what I'm after nor am I interested in diamond tweeters or carbon drivers with titanium surrounds, the exotic list of materials goes on... none of that fancy stuff tickles me. Rather, I'm focused in the music and the best of what the recording offers through a carefully selected playback system without having to go homeless! One that fully immerses you in the music and has you totally engaged in the presentation. That overall warmth, and enveloping affect, with a very high level of musicality regardless of volume levels, is my passion. It doesn't have to be loud to be enjoyed and it certainly doesn't require a truck load of subs!

At this stage in this crazy hobby, passion or obsession, whatever you call it, there's no other speaker system I'd rather own, regardless of price. Although those Genesis Tributes are superb! But they require a huge room. So with all do respect to those very lofty systems, and their designers, hats off to them, for they have created some really spectacular gear that takes the quality of playback towards a very high level. Such kinds of gear I don't engage in, simply because I sincerely believe that price does not dictate quality in performance.

Spending exorbitant amounts of gear, let alone on accessories, sky's the limit!
I've always believed, first identify what you're after. Have a reference point and build on that towards what you're looking for. Funny thing is, quite a number of audio gear owners don't know what they're after! They don't have a reference point, chasing the holy grail upgrading every year or so to get the latest and the greatest. Sadly, the ultimate doesn't exist! There's no such thing. Every year there's one better round the corner, and the vicious cycle continues.

So, once you've identified what you're after, something that truly works for YOU and fully engages you in the music, that's it! Putting together any highend system is an art form, it takes years... not just dumping half a million and you're there, hell no!
Once it's reached its threshold and has formed that wonderful sense of synergy, just leave it! Afterall, it's a beautiful thing!

Can't be bothered with the latest version on anything now, not getting any younger either, so for now the best thing to do is, just sit back and enjoy those fine tunes!
WOOF! RJ

Attachments

• 20220903_175046.jpg
    20220903_175046.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I trust the movies because the LFE giving a significant bass bost for special effects (think 10 times more). And for music I find many add way to much bass to the sound so the philharmonic ends sounding like disco music so to speak. But surely bass is complicated to master amd has always been.
The music I listen to isn't like that. In stereo at least. I don't switch into dolby 5.1 or anything else.

No I'm just saying i find many plays music at an exaggerated bass level in stereo. At times I must admit that I do change to multi channel which isn't that bad at all. Mood dependent 😀

Edit. The multi channel is maybe an Arcam feature or customised version.

Last edited:
I have two sets of speakers, T+A Solitaire CWT1000-40 Carbon's and the CLX with two BF212 subs (I don't use the subs with the CWT's).

I'll swap the speakers in and out on occasion and haven't done the swap in awhile after changing electronics; PA3100HV, SD3100HV, M40 mono and amps the ICONOCLAST sereis II speaker cables throughout.

I did a quick, for CLX!, set-up. I just placed them in front of the CWT's and just went for it. Near no toe-in and eight feet apart. The BF212 subs are easy pessy with the CLX, just use the downloaded cross-over slope and set the subs volume. I don't use the DSP as much as it isn't needed in my 40' long room. I have few bass nodes.

But WOW, the CLX with the subs are intoxicating to listen to like no other. With all the new electronics and stuff they REALLY are impressive too. Since this isn't a production speaker anymore they would be REALLY hard to replace with something as good. The STAT bass panels get the transient detail out into the room really well. OK, STATS aren't pure DYNAMIC impact, but nothing beats their edge detail and tonality, they "describe" the music so, so well. Open baffel speakers can pull you in to the music like no other. The better the speaker the better they pull you into the source and the CLX are a super alloy magnet in that regard.

For those of you who have them, I'd be real careful to sell them. You'll never get this performance back. Sure, the CLX need two subs and are expensive to get going over single panel hybrids but WOW, the CLX are good. I sell them to myself over and over when I swap the 1000-40 and the CLX. The T+A 1000-40 are really good STAT hybrid line source speakers but the CWT's can't get that open baffel sound that is so enjoyable to snuggle into.

If you do see a set in good shape, and like quality STATS, the CLX are a really good find, because when they find your ears you are stuck with them!
I'm fortunate enough to own a pair of CLX Art with a lot of thanks to @rower30 who's review helped make my decision easy to purchase the CLX's made it a no brainer! I owned the ML Odysseys speakers so I was used to the Electrostatic sound. The CLX's were found at a local guitar shop in Milwaukee I traded the Odyssey's in for the CLX Art in what I consider my greatest Audiophile find! Paired with a great pair of subs these speakers can compete with speakers that cost 4x the MSRP of the CLX before discontinued IMO!

The deal on the CLX Art speakers was a bargain but building up my front end around them has not. The CLX speakers keep rewarding owners the further you go up the gear food chain. I started with PS Audio gear Class D M1200's amps PS Audio BHK Preamp then I went to the BHK 300 monos which made the CLX sound more musical to my ears over the M1200's. The PS Audio gear is good but then I introduced the CLX's to Gryphon and its at another level again!

I owned a pair of JL Audio F113's to go with the CLX speakers which again at first it was a mind blow! I was pleased until a friend gave me a pair of Rel No. 25 subwoofers and then a true mind blowing experience happened! Running the high level connection off the back of the CLX's to the No 25's is an experience like no other! I was fortunate enough to trade the JL Audio speakers towards the No 25's. The REL CLX combo is top notch! I would love to get 4 more No 25's and experience the reference 6 pack with the CLX's I think that could match or out perform any +6 figure speaker set up you can purchase in todays market.

Thanks again to @rower30! Galen is absolutely correct if you find a pair of CLX on the used market a pair just sold for around $7k in Prior Lake, MN. I have friends that spent more on power cables than that! Don't miss out on the opportunity to own these ML Masterpiece of a speaker!

Last year at Axpona the ML dealer said there may be new ones in the works. But I talked to Bob at ML service asking about them and was told they were working on new subwoofers. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back