New Member - Seattle

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdbox

Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of older (1999) reQuest in black and a Theater center channel earlier this week. I've never heard a Martin Logan speaker before to my knowledge and thought I'd give them a try due to the advice of a work colleague. I suspect a re-panel is in order for the reQuest pair (not cheap at $2250+shipping), however I haven't even hooked them up yet due to TMSNRL (too many speakers, no room left). After emailing the ML service center I found out they no longer make any Theater replacement panels and have no plans to ever again, so I'm looking to figure out a way to bring the center back to life. I did some critical listening last night and it's not sounding very good. I did a light vacuuming with a Dyson with brush head (not super powerful suction) with no change in quality. I still see some dust and grit, particularly on the edges (almost looks like it was in storage for a while and mason bees tried to put mud in a few of the stator holes on the edges by the woofers). I know folks have had good results showering panels, however, if there's no way to buy a new replacement I'm holding off on that until I've exhausted all other options. I did talk with Russ Knotts (such a nice guy) a couple days ago and he said he can revamp them, but it will only be 85% of what it once was new. I also reached back out to Brian, the very helpful ML sales rep, to see if I send them my current panel if refurbishing it is an option. I'm open to any other advice folks have. I'm a pretty handy guy, so I'm not opposed to wild and crazy ideas. Thanks in advance!

Glad I found the Martin Logan community!

Dan

Last edited:
85% will never do for the center. I would only refurbish to sound as new or else I would look for something else used in better condition. Unless a refurbished panel will fix it to 100% at a reasonable price I would move on from the Theater. As for the reQuests you really need to listen to them first. My 2005 Vantage still sound great.

85% will never do for the center. I would only refurbish to sound as new or else I would look for something else used in better condition. Unless a refurbished panel will fix it to 100% at a reasonable price I would move on from the Theater. As for the reQuests you really need to listen to them first. My 2005 Vantage still sound great.
I think you are spot on. I did wash the panel with some improvement, and if I crank up the volume to unreasonable levels the high frequency comes back, but that's just not practical for TV and movies.

I'll probably put it up for sale soon and move on to the reQuests.

welcome bb. Sorry the Theater is not working out for you. I sure you will find a center that will fit your needs.

Now, I sure I'm not the only one here that are curious about the TMSNRL speaker collection you have amassed.

Brad

The last I understood, ML would make replacement panels for any previous model. Anyone know of other exceptions to this policy?

welcome bb. Sorry the Theater is not working out for you. I sure you will find a center that will fit your needs.

Now, I sure I'm not the only one here that are curious about the TMSNRL speaker collection you have amassed.

Brad
Well, if any speaker is going to be the source of that problem, ML 'stats surely are.

The last I understood, ML would make replacement panels for any previous model. Anyone know of other exceptions to this policy?
This was the response when I sent ML the request for a quote for new Theater panel. Theater I has same panel so no luck there. I followed up and asked if they would repair my current panel if I sent it to them and the response was "no, we cannot do that as disassembly of the panel destroys the stators."

Here's the email response......

Thank you for the mail.

We unfortunately can no longer make the Theater panel and we don't have any in stock and we will not be getting more.

We can no longer get parts for it from any vendor.

I am sorry that we don't have better news.

thank you,

Brian

I suspect a Theater panel could be disassembled without destroying the stators, but not by prying the stators apart.

I would attempt to saw thru the adhesive bond-lines with a string saw-- basically a wooden bow strung with 80-pound braided fishing line, starting at a corner and sawing lengthwise along the panel, perpendicular to the curvature.

I once sawed thru a large flat-panel ESL (perf metal stators bonded together with double-sided foam tape) in this way and it worked quite well. The worst part was removing the adhesive residue off from the stators afterward.

I suspect a Theater panel could be disassembled without destroying the stators, but not by prying the stators apart.

I would attempt to saw thru the adhesive bond-lines with a string saw-- basically a wooden bow strung with 80-pound braided fishing line, starting at a corner and sawing lengthwise along the panel, perpendicular to the curvature.

I once sawed thru a large flat-panel ESL (perf metal stators bonded together with double-sided foam tape) in this way and it worked quite well. The worst part was removing the adhesive residue off from the stators afterward.
I'm sure if I'm willing to put in the effort of doing it myself it's a possibility to rebuild. I had held out hope they could use my speaker parts sinve they issue with new panels was no vendor, but alass, no joy. At this point I think I'll probably cut my losses as I already have too many projects on my plate. I am willing to try washing again of anyone thinks using simple green or isopropyl would help without ruining the current state. The speaker is in decent shape and as stated, when cranked up loud it actually sounds pretty decent. My stereo microscope images show an improved cleanliness from the gentle shower, however there's still dust and a film on the mylar. When I have time I'll upload the images to the "wash your panel" thread.

‐‐----------Response from ML------------
Thank you for the mail.

I am sorry, but panels cannot be rebuilt. Taking them apart to rebuild them destroys the parts/metal.

I am sorry we don't have better news on this.

This is not a part that a dealer would stock unfortunately.

Did you try vacuuming the panel?

thank you,

Brian

Back