Moment of Truth part deux (part 2)!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Alright, so from the last thread, it seems that everyone prefers the LCD over the Cary 306/200... fair enough.

LCD wins!!

Now, the second and perhaps last part of the conundrum:

37" Westinghouse 1080P LCD for the PC system vs Perfect Chair Zero Gravity listening chair

So, you all know why I want the LCD, but note that I am coming from a 24" Dell LCD, which is already plenty big for a computer monitor. But, I could use the extra size for when I watch videos, movies, or play my PC and 360 games. Only thing is, I dont gain "workspace, desktop space" since the 37" monitor will output the same (or similar) resolution as I'm getting from my Dell 24"; both at about 1900x1200 (1920x1080).

Anyway, the reason why I like the chair is because I've always wanted to complete the listening experience. So I have the front end and the speakers, but I use my computer chair for listening purposes.. I drag it out towards the other end of my bedroom and listen for 30 minutes or so at a time. I was thinking that maybe it'd be cool if I had a nice chair propped there the whole time so I can just sink in and relax with my tunes.

recline.jpg

everythingfurniture_1946_76519693

vs
Picture004-2.jpg

w15.jpg

Chair. No contest. Even if you didn't already have the 24" lcd.

Those are awesome chairs. I've been looking at them myself (the "joined" ones!), but I'm not getting any more furniture until we are in the new house. :)

A nice, comfortable listening chair would be great but do NOT buy a listening chair that will affect your hearing. You need nothing behind your ears.

A nice, comfortable listening chair would be great but do NOT buy a listening chair that will affect your hearing. You need nothing behind your ears.

Disco's right... the chair is coooool!

Re the behind the ear thing, I know Mike Lavigne has the exact same chair, and his system is insane, and his Rives Audio room notwithstanding. He has addressed this "nothing behind the ears" idea and he couldn't detect a truly discernable difference. It may act as a diffusor.... lol.

Joey

1172450063.jpg

Mike Lavigne has the exact same chair, and his system is insane, and his Rives Audio room notwithstanding. He has addressed this "nothing behind the ears" idea and he couldn't detect a truly discernable difference. It may act as a diffusor.... lol.

The guy can tell you which insanely expensive, over priced, over rated CABLES he puts in his system but can't discern a difference when he has a cushion 3" from his ears! YEA RIGHT! Don't EVEN GET ME STARTED Joey, I am NOT IN THE MOOD!@@##**! :devil:

The guy can tell you which insanely expensive, over priced, over rated CABLES he puts in his system but can't discern a difference when he has a cushion 3" from his ears! YEA RIGHT! Don't EVEN GET ME STARTED Joey, I am NOT IN THE MOOD!@@##**! :devil:

James... enhance your calm, my friend! :)

I dont mind it, my chair right now blocks my ears somewhat. The guy I bought the Summits from has the Perfect Chair, now with his Innersound Kayas.

I honestly think that there's more that troubles my setup (and MOST setups) moreso than the leather behind my ears.... like the fact that I lack room treatments! LOL! :)

So I take it, you vote LCD?

James... enhance your calm, my friend! :)

So I take it, you vote LCD?

Enhance my calm...I'LL SHOW YOU CALM! LOL! I am always a little on the edge anyway.

I voted earlier, and yes, LCD, but BIGGER than 37" so it will be useful in the future as a TV in a real house hanging on the wall up to make 8' or 9' away. I would say 46" or greater would put you right in there!

I voted earlier, and yes, LCD, but BIGGER than 37" so it will be useful in the future as a TV in a real house hanging on the wall up to make 8' or 9' away. I would say 46" or greater would put you right in there!

Good god man... a 46" LCD would be way too big for PC use... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Good god man... a 46" LCD would be way too big for PC use... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Just move it a little further away from you. Get a Gyration mouse, and wireless keyboard and do you work and surfing from bed! I can ALMOST do that with my crappy 42" Sony Plasma while sitting in bed, but it is just a touch to small of a screen for that. My next stop will be a 56" LCD for that wall (eyes are 12' from the screen while sitting up in bed, FWIW).

Just move it a little further away from you. Get a Gyration mouse, and wireless keyboard and do you work and surfing from bed! I can ALMOST do that with my crappy 42" Sony Plasma while sitting in bed, but it is just a touch to small of a screen for that. My next stop will be a 56" LCD for that wall (eyes are 12' from the screen while sitting up in bed, FWIW).

James... I've realized that you have too much money for your hobbies... talking to you is like talking to the devil. *Lalalalalala* I can't hear you... :devil: .

Come on peeps.... chair or LCD?

I want to finalize my order in the next day or two....

Now, when I'm helping out in the OR (operating room), my mind wanders off to: LCD vs Chair.... and then I snap out of it because I'm retracting someone's uterus....

Joey :)

Good god man, buy the TV, life is too short. Besides, why would you want a chair that reflects sound from behind you.

C'mon, you can't be serious. Theres absolutely no question about it; Go for the chair. Remember when you and I discussed in relatively great length about the importance of the environment and how it plays into the over-all experience? This is part of the equasion. While I think you are far too spoiled, practically throwing away cash like a middle aged man at 20 something year old girls at the 'gentlemens club'..., go for something that will, oh I dunno, last you for at least a few years. Televisions come and go, and get cheaper every other month. If you're going to part ways with cash, at least do put it in something that would at least halfway come across like an investment.

On the Westinghouse;

While you get an OK screen that outputs 1080p with good resolution at a price below competitors, its at the expense of the picture quality itself. Westinghouse LCD's suffer greatly from color bleed and what has to be one of the worst color palletes on a TV in their price range. I mean no offense to any Westinghouse owners out there, but their picture is flat out off. Yes the price is tempting, but you DO get what you pay for.

Once again Joey - I see you are needing your hands held every single step of the way. Sheesh, the residents must have their hands full with you./insert smileys here/>

Last edited:
James... I've realized that you have too much money for your hobbies... talking to you is like talking to the devil. *Lalalalalala* I can't hear you... :devil: .

To much debt! I am more like a money manager at my house! LOL! Just trying to manage a to low cash flow! I have managed to get hold of some pretty KICK A$$ toys though over the years! Just have to watch for the right deals!

Steve saw some stuff that I won't mention in a public forum that he was pretty amazed by! :devil:

Oh, buy the BIG TV! You know you want it! :devil: As for chairs, I am always sitting in my chair so I usually don't look to buy other ones. My current ride is a $4200 Titanium job that is in need of new tires at the moment!

OK.. back to the chair.. I'm really interested. Does ayone have the name, manufacturer or website? Thanks!

I agree with the chair recommendation, since it will last you so much longer, and likely provide you with a lot more enjoyment than a 13" difference over your current setup. Money much better spent. If you get a front projector (next early birthday? or maybe early christmas?) you can enjoy a 10' movie, xbox360, pc experience while in the amazingly comfortable chair. That's the route I'd go.

The point about reflections from the chair is valid, with a leather chair...a cloth chair would likely absorb much of the HF, preventing reflections.

Having reflections of that minor magnitude, the 2 inches from your chair to your ear, would likely cause a shift in the balance towards the higher frequencies, but wouldn't cause much smearing...so isn't necessarily a bad thing! Mmm, I'm drooling over that chair now.

A chair?

Are you serious?

Don't you live in an apartment?

Isn't that like buying a Ferrari and living on a small island? :)

LCD ... You don't gain any workspace but your eyes really will appreciate it.

Save the chair for when you get a bigger pad.

Haha, if he has enough room for the chair, it's not the ferrari on the island, it's just a comfortable place to sit. That's what having summits in an apartment is! :devil:

Back