which Preamp/Amp works best with ML??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdu390548

Reaction score
Hi Experts,

I just purchased my ML Vantage, next step is getting preamp and Amp, there are lots of them to choice from, which combo works best with ML speakers? my budget is under 5k. any recommendation will be appreciate!!

Without getting into all the hoopla about the word 'best'I have a cary slp-98 & Sunfire Signature amp.... I like it very much. You can get both used on audiogon for a total of 3K or so... It gives a big warm open sound...lots of depth...

Way too many variables such as room size / treatments, music types, volume levels, wires, buy new or used, etc. to give any solid recommendations.

Best advice. Get in a comfortable chair, use the "search" function, and have fun.

You also may want to consider a high quality integrated.

In the end, only you can decide.

Good luck.

GG

Timm and Gordon,thanks for your comments.
BTW, I went back to dealer today, I've told by one of sals rep, he gives me three options:
1, NAD C165 Preamp and NAD C275 amp around $2,100. (I don't know too much about NAD).
2, Rotel RC-1580 preamp and Rotel RB-1582 amp about $2,800.
3, Music Fidelity M6 preamp and M6PRX amp cost $ 5,900.
option 3 is over my budget, i am not going to consider it. my Vantage is 100% for music only, not for home theater. my room size about 20x20, which is the better match?? please advice...

Based on those quotes, I'd pass and do some more homework. Seems to me you might be open to buying used. I'd pursue that option from a price / performance perspective.

Hopefully other members will chime in to help narrow the options.

20' X 20' is a good size room. Seems to me that you'll need a very stable, hi current amp to work well in that size room as well as addressing ML's impedance issues.

GG

If you're not opposed to buying used equipment off of Audiogon you could pick up a great Pass Labs combo like the X2.5 Pre ($1300-1500 used) and the X150 ($1600-$1800 used) or X250 ($2300-$2500) Power Amps. Either amp would run your Vantages fine.

tube baby !!!

I have the jolida tube stuff and for the moeny ,wow i luv the stuff .I have there mono blocks 3000b at 200wtt/ch and they make my clsiiz sound great. try audiogon and see if you can find a used pr. they are out there and you wont be disappointed.:music:

Using the search function on the website, and browsing the member's systems area, you will learn a lot about what components experienced members use and recommend. Bottom line, you want quality separates, with an amp that has a beefy power supply, is high current, and is stable down to 1 or 2 ohms.

As far as manufacturers, there are more than can be listed, but here is a sampling of popular names: Audio Research, BAT, Conrad Johnson, Pass Labs, Sunfire, Manley, McIntosh, Cary, VTL, Sanders Sound Systems, and Krell. Those are just a few off the top of my head. There are many more. As mentioned already, you can do a lot better for the money by buying used.

Sounds like most are shying away from mentioning specific brands, and that's fair enough. Really, without you hearing the combo, who knows if it'll satisfy your wants and needs, or not. That being said, I run my Vantages with a McIntosh MA6500 integrated and I'm very happy. One can always want more power (the MA is 200/wpc), but I can say that it is very stable, even with the speakers throwing a tough impedance load at it. -I was watching a movie the other night that absolutley can challenge an amp/speaker combo with its extremely high dynamic range and was seeing some very loud levels with the meters near (near, not at) their max levels and no clipping or apparent distortion. As a matter of a fact, the amp was pretty cool when finished. No pun intended.

It does sound as if this is an alternative that will fit the budget. And of course, YMMV. As said above, you should be looking for high current and stable down to one ohm. Good luck searching.

I would pass on the dealer options. Your $5K budget will buy you into a much higher and better sounding class of equipment buying off www.audiogon.com

There are so many varibles that I wouldn't begin to recommend anything to you , since there are so many great choices out there to choose from. As others stated, go and listen.

A great place to take in a large quantity of brands is at a stereo show. That is where I heard the equipment I use for the 1st time in 2002 and have used it ever since.

Cheers, Greg

From my prior experiences, I would advocate a tube preamp and a ss amp for your Vantages.

Pas Labs Int. 150

Hi sdu,

There's a Pass Labs Int. 150 (integrated amp) for $3,975 on the gon. List is about $7,600.

Not a bad place to start and if you don't like it, I'm confident you can resell fairly easily. Pass has great cred.

I think you can read the review on the Pass Labs website.

Gordon

While there are many good choices others have listed, my experience with Cary's SLP 98 is very similar to timm. I am very happy with it.

Best of luck,

Jeff

Back