Where is a place to Demo in DC area?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLasher22443

Reaction score
I am trying to find a good place to demo new equipment in the DC area. Is there a place where you can hear all different types of equipment in the same place? I would like some info on some places that have some high quality setups if possible. Also if anyone knows anything about shows coming to the area that will be presenting new equipment for 2008 that would be great.

Thanks,

Some suggestions:

If you can, trek up to Overture in Wilmington, DE. It's widely heralded as the finest A/V salon in the US. Ask for Damian. The sales staff is salaried - no pressure to buy when you walk in. However, call ahead and tell them what you want. They have 6-7 dedicated rooms with some of the best stuff on the planet.

I want to say there's another high end store in DC (soundworks or something?)

In Columbia, there's Gramaphone:

http://www.gramophone.com/welcome.htm

They weren't very nice to me, but they do carry Sunfire, McIntosh, B&W etc.

There's Soundscape in baltimore - very friendly sales staff and they carry Quad, Rotel, B&W, NAD, etc.

Really, if you want the latest and greatest and also want to audition most any martin logan speaker, head up to Wilmington. It's one stop shopping for you.

Erik

Thanks a lot Erik. I actually work in Laurel and never new of Gramaphone. I’ll try that place out. Also will have to make a day trip up to Overture it sounds like a cool place to see and hear.

Soundworks - Kensington, MD
Gramophone - Columbia, MD
Deja Vu - McLean, VA
Sound Images - Falls Church, VA (HT primarily)
Standsbury Audio - Millersville, MD
Soundscape - Baltimore, MD
JS Audio - Bethesda, MD
United Home Audio - Columbia, MD (Jolida storefront)

Last edited:
Deja Vu - McLean, VA
Standbury Audio - Millersville, MD
JS Audio - Bethesda, MD
United Home Audio - Columbia, MD (Jolida storefront)

Man, you guys are spoiled! I would have to drive 3.5 hours to Atlanta to find that many places to demo.

Man, you guys are spoiled! I would have to drive 3.5 hours to Atlanta to find that many places to demo.
I did not say they were good, just available to visit. :D

Out of all the places Erik and I listed, Overture up in Delaware will be the very best of the bunch.

Dan is right, Rich. Not all of those stores are created equal. The difference between Soundscape and Gramaphone was eye opening to say the least. The former was very patient, let me listen to amps for hours and you could he was such a huge fan of this hobby.

At Gramaphone, I wasn't "spending any real money." The sales rep actually said that to me. I suppose $2000+ for a new Sunfire amp (I was looking at them at the time) isn't real money to him.

Overture is also quite nice and I recommend that store to anyone.

Erik

I did not say they were good, just available to visit. :D

Out of all the places Erik and I listed, Overture up in Delaware will be the very best of the bunch.

I second Dan's comments. Overture is by far the best place in this area as far as I'm concerned. Gramophone is good too, depending on the sales person you get. Unless you are ready to buy, Soundworks won't give you the best service. It is rare that you get an optimal setup in a Tweeter. Hope this helps.

http://www.giftedlistener.com/

http://www.dejavuaudio.com/

These are two places I've visited in the DC area. I'd like to try the others that were mentioned in this thread as I travel to DC quite often.

Deja Vu is a great place for tubed gear and the staff are very knowledgeable and friendly. They also offer trade-in gear and accept trade-ins which is a plus in my book.

The Gifted Listener is also good and they carry SS as well as Tube gear. They're about 8 miles or so from Dulles Airport.

The best place to actually purchase ML speakers is still Tweeter. They've always had excellent post sale service and an upgrade policy on speakers that no one else has topped yet.

http://www.dejavuaudio.com/

These are two places I've visited in the DC area. I'd like to try the others that were mentioned in this thread as I travel to DC quite often.

Deja Vu is a great place for tubed gear and the staff are very knowledgeable and friendly. They also offer trade-in gear and accept trade-ins which is a plus in my book.

The Gifted Listener is also good and they carry SS as well as Tube gear. They're about 8 miles or so from Dulles Airport.

The best place to actually purchase ML speakers is still Tweeter. They've always had excellent post sale service and an upgrade policy on speakers that no one else has topped yet.

Craig -

Let me know when you are in the Metro area. We should meet up!

I going back there again next week for a few days. Send me a PM and we'll hook up.

While Tweeter "may" be the best place to purchase M/L's IF you already know what you want, but if you are begining your M/L journey I for one would not recomend them.

The best example of what I mean is my dealer (Overture) will give you the correct presentation of how a pair of Summitt's should sound, whereas the Tweeter 3 miles down the road will present you with a listening enviroment consisting of a trapazoidal, glass walled listening room with dozens of other speakers, flat panel displays and other various unfriendly acoustical agendeges !!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and I will be making a trip to Overture hopefully sooner then later to see if they can help me out.

Ugh, don't get me started on these clowns. :mad:

I'm not sure what you mean. Sure they have a pretty limited selection of brands, and they haven't carried ML speakers in about a decade, but I've always found Tom Unger (the owner) to be a super-cool guy. I don't think I ever spent more than $250 on a purchase in his shop, bu the ALWAYS had plenty of time to chat with me, and over the years I've spent HOURS in his shop listeing to gear, and talking about gear, cables, and tweeks. Plus, he did a REALLY good job setting up my first TT and cartridge (which was bought elsewhere) for a very reasonable fee...

Gifted Listener was my first real exposure to a "boutique" hi-fi shop, back in 1988, when I moved to the DC area after graduating from college. I remember the first time I went to his store, he was running it out of his house, in a few rooms in the upstairs with a separate entrance. He had stuff I'd only seen in magazines (Levinson, Martin Logan, Linn, Perreaux, Tice) and even considering that I was still very "wet behind the ears", and had a VERY slim budget, he was very friendly and informative.

Tom is very opinionated on some issues though--he is a hard-core Linn-head when it comes to turntables, and he really loves the sound of Bryston and Levinson amps (neither of which I've ever been that impressed with for their prices). His current opinion on ML speakers is, I think, mostly due to the fact that he is a Maggie dealer now. When he was a ML dealer in the 1990's, he talked smack about Maggies--now the shoe in on the other foot...

But like I said, even though I am an enthusiastic ML owner, hate the sound of Transparent Audio and MIT cables in my rig (he carried those brands exclusively for years), and have never spent more than 2 or 3 bills on any single purchase in his shop, Tom and I see eye to eye on a lot of other issues, and I always am treated with respect and cordiality when I visit. In fact, I stopped into his shop last spring, before we moved back to NC, and even though I hadn't seen Tom in about 2 years, he remembered my name, and we chatted for about an hour. He even showed me the new Ayre CD player he had just set up, and let me listen to it for a while, and did an A/B with a Marantz SACD player he had.

I'm sad to hear that you have had some sort of bad experience with Gifted Listener. I always liked that shop, and have always found Tom and Suzanne to be very friendly and helpful folks...

--Richard

I lived in Northern VA from 1987-2000, and during that period, I visited just about every mid-fi and hi-fi store that was in operation. I found some to be VERY friendly and helpful, some just OK, and a few to be downright hostile, especially if you're not flashing a "Platinum Card" or driving a "yuppie limo" of some sort...

Here is my take on the stores in the DC/Baltimore area:

These guys are a ML dealer, and have been for years. They know their stuff, but tend to ignore you unless you're planning to buy. They don't pay any attention to or offer much help to "browsers", and almost NEVER seem to have time to just "shoot the bull", even if you are the only person in the store--UNLESS you are buying something that day. The owner is VERY quirky--sometimes he's VERY witty and entertaining, sometimes he comes across as a colossal snob. All that said, they had about the best-sounding Summits and Vantages I've heard in a retail shop in the immediate DC area. They were driving the Summits I heard with Ayre and ARC gear, and all-Nordost cabling, and it sounded so amazingly riveting that I didn't even notice that there was a set of beautiful custom faux-marble-painted Wilson WATT-Puppies in the back of the room until the salesman pointed them out to another customer. And these guys are also probably the number 1 turntable authority in the DC area these days...

I agree with the previous statements--if you are not spending at least $5000, these guys generally won't give you the time of day. If you even MENTION Martin Logan speakers in this shop, they will instantly black-ball you, and if you mention Sunfire (which, technically, they carry, but never have in stock for audition), they immediately get all smirky and condescending. If you mention interest in McIntosh gear though, you can practically see their trousers getting tight...

Deja Vu - McLean, VA
Never been there...

I remember these guys when they were called "High-Tech Audio", and were actually a repair shop that also dealt in refurbished, used, and vintage gear. Back then, they were GREAT--very helpful, very knowledgeable, and they had an excellent repair shop. Since they switched to being strickly HT, (and no longer deal in repairs at all, and only have "trade-in" stuff as far as used gear goes) they seem to have gotten a lot more snobby, and a lot less knowledgeable. Their "listening rooms" are more accurately described as "acoustic torture chambers", and would probably put "DTB300" from this forum into sever pot-traumatic shock...

Never been--they keep VERY weird hours....

Only went there once, looking for vinyl accessories (cleaning solution, replacement sleeves, etc) and was pretty much ignored...

JS Audio - Bethesda, MD
Keeps weird hours (weekends, and appointment only) but they seem very nice and are pretty knowledgeable. Have a sort of oddball line of brands though, and their setups are less than optimal, but their listening rooms are pretty decent despite being crammed with a lot of gear.

United Home Audio - Columbia, MD (Jolida storefront)[/QUOTE]
Now this place--don't get me started on them. The owners are both more than a little weird. Don't get me wrong--Jolida makes some GREAT gear, especially their CD players, and Michael Allen knows a lot about running a successful business and designing tube gear, but he REALLY should be kept away from the general public. He is VERY quirky, to say the least...

As far as Tweeter goes, I have yet to be in a single Tweeter in the DC metro area that had their ML's set up properly, or even anywhere close to properly. Although I will say this about the Tweeter in Columbia MD--they are VERY cool about auditioning them in-store when they are not busy. I went there on a weekday afternoon to hear their newly-set-up Vantages, and they sounded like crap--partly because they were being driven by a dreadfull little Krell integrated amp, and partly because they had them set up about 10 inches from the rear wall and about 5 feet from the side walls. I asked the salesman if he minded if I moved them to their PROPER positioning, and he said he would move them for me. First I had him listen to some Diana Krall as they had them set up, then we listened to the same track on some Focal speakers he was trying to impress me with. Honestly, the Focals DID sound better at first. Then we moved the Vantages to about 4 feet from the rear wall, and I ran out to my car to get a flashlight to properly align the Vantages with the listening seat, and had him listen to them again. He actually shouted "holy shit" when we finally got them dialed in. Hopefully he learned something...

Also, even though most of the Best Buy/Magnolia stores in the DC metro area carry ML speakers, their staff is generally a bunch of tone-deaf idiots, and their "listening rooms" rival Sound Images in terms of their ability to violate the Geneva Conventions for torture...

--Richard

Last edited:
Never been--they keep VERY weird hours....

--Richard

Just came back from Standsbury. There are no sound rooms so it is not a place to audition equipment. In fact, the small store is mostly filled with boxes and opened gear laying around.

There was a single person working who was very friendly and easily shared his opinion of high end equipment. Any technical information came from the Internet as we spoke.

He spoke mostly about Integra and Arcam but also sells Krell and others. He indicated that other products can be ordered, including Sunfire, Lexicon, and Bryston, but i did not question him about being an authorized dealer. It seems to be a place to go to if you know what you want. But then, you can just call. (410 987-4311)

"At Gramaphone, I wasn't "spending any real money." The sales rep actually said that to me. I suppose $2000+ for a new Sunfire amp (I was looking at them at the time) isn't real money to him."

Stuff like this runs people away from high end audio.

I'm not sure what you mean.

Gifted Listener ...
I'm sad to hear that you have had some sort of bad experience with Gifted Listener. I always liked that shop, and have always found Tom and Suzanne to be very friendly and helpful folks...

--Richard

Richard, you've got mail.

I am a little late to this thread but hope this help.

I have used JSAudio in Bethesda to buy my gear. I've found the owner, Joe to be a very nice guy. They are more than happy to move gear around and treated me with the utmost of respect and civility.

They seem to be a hole in the wall looking place but I felt extremely comfortable walking in there. I'm not a big dollar earner. While I was shopping there, Linda Carter from Wonder Woman was shopping there at the same time. She bought several plasma TV's and some other assorted gear which exceeded my total by thousands. Joe took as much time with me as I needed and never looked down his nose at my small total.

He has his prefered pieces of gear he'll show but never felt any pressure one way or the other. He does not carry ML but almost had me on the Dynaudio Confidence series. (C1 with REL sub sounded very nice).

Parking can be difficult around there. Park further away and enjoy a nice walk!

Gordon

Latest posts

Back