What's up with DAC?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aris A

Reaction score
First of all I wish you all a prosperous New Year!!
I've been trying to digest everything I can learn about DAC's and I know alot of our fellow members are very knowlegeable when often I read tidbits regarding this matter. I still have questions which in need of answers before I can gauge myself if a DAC is foreseeable in the near future for my setup. My setup, I might say, is just average compared to some who are very lucky to have one way beyond my reach.:( Can someone redirect me on articles/pics about this matter? I am more interested in installation, compatibility with associated electronics either "audiophile" grade or "consumer" grade, recommended brands to look for and do's & don'ts in considering one to your setup. Just a thought, since cd players has built-in DAC's, when you add an external one, does it bypasses it? Thanks for your input.

Aris

Aris,

In general DAC's are not that complicated to understand. To answer you last question first, yes. When a DAC is "inserted" it does bypass the CD's internal DAC. Of course this may be a simplistic answer but that is it in a nutshell. Some CD players but not all have the ability to add/use a DAC. Typically, the ones which do either have an optical or coax "out" on the back of the player. These are in addition to the typical RCA "out" jacks. If a player does not, it typically can not be done.

There are several different companies which make DAC.s and again simply put there are SS or tube. I believe there are more SS varieties available than tube and more than likely cheaper in comparison to some.

Installation is simple and it literally takes about 2 minutes unless you fall over, then maybe 5. :D What is typically done is a cable either optical or coax is plugged in to the back of a CD player and then the other end is plugged in to the input jack of the DAC. Then a cable(s) is attached to the output jacks of the DAC and goes to either a receiver or a preamp, everything else is the same from that point on.

I hope this helps. I did not want to get to long winded regarding what it is all about but I can and so can others here. You can email me if you like for more info.:eek:

Jeff:cool:

Back