WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE HOLiDAY CD?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominick22

Reaction score
So I am in the mood to get a couple new very musical holiday CD's. I am interested in instrumentals and vocal renditions of the standard holiday traditions.

What would really be nice is a very full professional chior or something of the sort that is accompanied by an ochestra.

Any reccomendations?
I love the Logans this time of year!

Dominick

I pretty much hate Christmas music, however I do have some recommendations.

Sufjan Stevens - Songs For Christmas Vol. 1 - 5 (there's 6 - 9 but most of those are unreleased yet...)

Those are about the only holiday music I can tolerate, but it's because I like Sufjan Stevens.

Johnny Mathis ??? ... come on guys ... I hunt through and play his CD every year ... and this year with my new (older) ML's he sounds fantastic ... my folks played his album every year ... even though he's not your "classical" rendition, he's been around for 50 years so I would count him as a "classic"...

oh and google "www.holdman.com" and watch and listen to his music/christmas light video displays...I show this to my kids at school every year and they really enjoy what someone can put together with music, computer programming and outdoor lights...

Best and Happy Holidays, Merry Christamas to All,
Jim

Last edited:
Andy Williams. His voice and his Xmas songs instantly transport me back to my childhood. Mom and Dad loved him and each year, they would break out the LPs and put them on the giant console stereo. It was awesome.

I recall a similar thread a year ago, so you may want to do a search, but here goes:

For orchestral/vocal there's a CD called "Christmas in Vienna" with Diana Ross, Placido Domingo, and Jose Carreras.

"Cantate Domino" on the Proprius label. Choral.

"Star of Wonder" on the Reference Recordings label. Choral.

There's an instrumental guitar one by Peter Pupping that I've always been meaning to get. Amazon has it.

Wonderful disc here containing a number of highly enjoyable lesser known works that, to me, help break the cycle of same-old same-old. Really great SQ on this disc too.

Ho Ho

Attachments

• 0747313033171.jpg
    0747313033171.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 104
While perhaps not to your tastes, I have always loved the following. Soui Christmas (Atlantic 7 82316-2)

I have a soft spot for a Charlie Brown Christmas by the Vince Guaraldi Trio (1965). I even have my house lights snyc'd to Linus & Lucy.

514c73pMJHL._SS500_.jpg

I have a soft spot for a Charlie Brown Christmas by the Vince Guaraldi Trio (1965). I even have my house lights snyc'd to Linus & Lucy.

514c73pMJHL._SS500_.jpg

+1

BTW, I believe the pic you posted is of the "expanded" version of this classic album... which includes the following alt takes. Love them all.

13. Christmas Is Coming (Alternate Take 1) 4:34
14. The Christmas Song (Alternate Take 3) 3:53
15. Greensleeves (Alternate Take 6) 5:03
16. Christmastime Is Here (Alternate Vocal Take 5) 1:26

Solstice by Michael Jones & David Lanz

25qyqg2.jpg

Truly lovely improvisational piano performances of traditional Christmas music. Long OOP, but Amazon has a few used @ reasonable prices.

Back