What is the Best way to connect Decent i and which ends?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twist

Reaction score
Im sooooo confused im new to all this so sorry if this is a dumb question but i have 2 XPA-1 monoblocks (Emotiva) and a preamp UMC-1 coming (also Emotiva). ML said to connect them R&L out for 2 channel stereo (Y the R&L outs from to monos to interconnect and the other to sub) and for movies LFE direct to preamp. I just want some opinions before I make my order to Signal Cable. Oh by ends i mean banana or spades and to what?

P.S. Is the Polk Audio XRT12 XM Radio Reference Home Tuner the best way to connect XM to a high end stereo cause of its optical out? There is no XM IN from my upcoming preamp UMC-1. Is there something better coming out soon, like a seperate XM HD Reference Tuner LOL?

Thanks Again Guys,
Steven

Do you know what outputs your preamp has? That will determine what is possible--which, I suppose, is only stating the obvious!

I would be curious to know this as well. When listening to music I want the source to be direct. I don't want all the processing crap interfering. So like you said - should we Y the Pre L/R front out to the sub, and then LFE for movies? In this case does the crossover on the sub manage the pre L & R out for 2 channel, and then the crossover in the pre/receiver handle the crossover for LFE?

I would be curious to know this as well. When listening to music I want the source to be direct. I don't want all the processing crap interfering. So like you said - should we Y the Pre L/R front out to the sub, and then LFE for movies? In this case does the crossover on the sub manage the pre L & R out for 2 channel, and then the crossover in the pre/receiver handle the crossover for LFE?
The answer is yes to all of the above. My preamp has dual amp outputs which I have one set of outputs going to my power amp and the second set of outputs going to a Y adapter to the sub. My surround sound receiver is connected to the LFE input on the sub with the crossover point selected by the receiver LFE setting. It works no problem. I have a slight problem in that I use a separate set of speakers for my home theater listening so sometimes I have to manually adjust the sub volume when I switch to home theater vs my 2 channel system.

So you have the sub connected to a preamp for music and also a receiver for home theater?

You mentioned a y adapter going to the sub - does your sub not have a left and right input as well as LFE?

So you have the sub connected to a preamp for music and also a receiver for home theater?

You mentioned a y adapter going to the sub - does your sub not have a left and right input as well as LFE?

Yes I have the sub connected to both a preamp and a surround sound receiver, and I am mistaken I do have right and left inputs on the sub, I do have a y connector but I think it is for a ground loop isolator that I had to insert between the preamp amp combo if I am not mistaken. I can't check right now as I am out of town but I was getting a low level hum from the sub until I inserted the isolator which solved the problem.

The receiver also has a volume level control for the sub via the LFE output but even at full volume the sub level is still a little low with the setting I use for my 2 channel system, a minor inconvenience to adjust the volume when I switch between 2 channel and the surround sound system.

Last edited:
UMC1 Preamp: http://emotivalounge.proboards54.com/index.cgi?board=preamps&action=display&thread=2631

XPA-1 Mono Blocks: http://emotiva.com/xpa1.shtm

The Decent i sub has Left & Right plus the LFE out. http://www.us.martinlogan.com/specs/descent_i.html

Hopes this helps a little cause I dont know much about connections.

Thanks again guys

From the pics of the back of the preamp it looks like you have 2 variable stereo outputs which one is a main zone and a second zone 2 but I assume you could turn zone 2 and the main zone on at the same time with the same input. If this is so, you would not need a y cable and you could connect the main zone outputs to your amps and the zone2 outputs to the martin logan descent r/L inputs.

On the 7 channel outputs you must have a LFE output, I could not read the printing on the panel it looks like it is the lower connector under the green center channel output. You would connect this to your LFE connector on the descent.

All ends on the cables would be standard RCA connectors.

Do you have other amps for the center, and rear channels?

This should work...
Hope I was clear enough

rich

Last edited:
My Speakers and Components

Ok here is my whole 7.1 setup:

-- Speakers --
(2) Summits MAIN
(1) Stage for CENTER
(1) Decent 9 SUB
(4) Passages for REAR

-- Components --
(1) UMC-1 / Preamp
(1) XPA-5 / 5ch amp
(2) XPA-1 / Monoblock amps

Im using Silver Resolution Reference Speaker and Analog Interconnects Cables from SignalCable.com

Heres a photo of my system in progress.

Attachments

• ML-System.jpg
    ML-System.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
Ok here is my whole 7.1 setup:

-- Speakers --
(2) Summits MAIN
(1) Stage for CENTER
(1) Decent 9 SUB
(4) Passages for REAR

-- Components --
(1) UMC-1 / Preamp
(1) XPA-5 / 5ch amp
(2) XPA-1 / Monoblock amps

Im using Silver Resolution Reference Speaker and Analog Interconnects Cables from SignalCable.com

Heres a photo of my system in progress.

Oh, I see the problem now. Ideally you would want to connect the xpa-5 ch amp to all the connections on the 7.1 outputs with the obvious exception of the LFE going to the Descent.

I would still connect the XPA-1 monoblocks the way I described previously, now the problem would be you will have 2 sets of main speaker cables to the summits, one from the 5 channel amp and the other from the monoblocks. You would have to disconnect one depending on which source you were listening too. A Hassle...

The other option would be to connect the monoblocks with the front amp outputs from the 7.1 connections on the preamp and not to the 5 channel amp for only one set of speaker wires.

The only problem as mentioned by another post is whether you can totally bypass all of the digital processing in the front channel outputs from your preamp in the 7.1 connections. You would have to Y the outputs from the 7.1 outputs in this case to connect the descent for stereo listening.

I would think the cleanest 2 channel stereo listening would not be from the 7.1 connections but the dedicated 2 channel outputs.
A dilema...

Good Luck
rich

P.S. Is the Polk Audio XRT12 XM Radio Reference Home Tuner the best way to connect XM to a high end stereo cause of its optical out? There is no XM IN from my upcoming preamp UMC-1. Is there something better coming out soon, like a seperate XM HD Reference Tuner LOL?

Thanks Again Guys,
Steven[/QUOTE]

The Polk is likely your best option. I've been an XM subscriber for a few years, and after the merger with SIRIUS, I have noticed an eerie abscence of advertisement for new XM hardware, likewise for SIRIUS hardware.

Perhaps the merger has something to do with that, along with the fact that the tuners are built into most newer AV recievers.

I would still connect the XPA-1 monoblocks the way I described previously, now the problem would be you will have 2 sets of main speaker cables to the summits, one from the 5 channel amp and the other from the monoblocks. You would have to disconnect one depending on which source you were listening too. A Hassle...

Hmm, I don't think you would ever want two sets of speaker cables from two different amps going to the Summits, unless you were trying some crazy bi-amping scheme, which ML clearly states NOT to do with the Summits because of the internal amp already there for the woofer.

The other option would be to connect the monoblocks with the front amp outputs from the 7.1 connections on the preamp and not to the 5 channel amp for only one set of speaker wires.
The only problem as mentioned by another post is whether you can totally bypass all of the digital processing in the front channel outputs from your preamp in the 7.1 connections. You would have to Y the outputs from the 7.1 outputs in this case to connect the descent for stereo listening.
Yes. I would install Y adapters to connect the L/R from the 7.1 output to each of your monoblocks and the L/R inputs of Descet. Then I would connect the Center, Surround L/R, and Surround Back L/R to the XPA5. Finally, connect the LFE/Sub out to the LFE in of the Descent. Let me tell you my reasoning for the suggestion:
The dedicated 2 channel outputs on the UMC-1 look to be labeled Zone, Mix, and Rec (Recorder). Zone is for an independent output zone--you would always have to keep the Zone 2 in sync with main zone, and it's likely that Zone 2 doesn't output from digital sources connected to the UMC-1, Mix is going to be a 2 channel down-mix used when a multichannel source is selected. Rec may work, but like Zone might only be active for analog sources connected to the UMC-1.

Now lets talk DSP. DSP is, dare I say, never going to be applied to outputs, it's going to be applied to inputs, whether it be HDMI, 7.1 input, 2 channel input, Toslink input, etc. The 7.1 outputs simply put out the analog signal coming from the DAC (Digital-to-analog) converters or from a direct analog bypass route on the preamp. When you select a surround sound effect (DSP), if the source input is analog, it has to be converted to digital using onboard A/D, have DSP applied, and then be converted back to analog to pass out via the 7.1 outputs. So by definition, pure analog bypass can ONLY be applied to an analog source and what it does is pass the analog signal from the source component directly (usually via dedicated circuitry) to the 7.1 analog outputs with no digital (DAC) processing or mucking with the signal (including bass management). There may also be a "Direct Mode" which takes any input, and just applies D/A conversion if necessary.

The ability to apply DSP to various inputs can be a benefit and is a limitation for some surround processors due to insufficient DSP horsepower. For example, if you are watching a movie only recorded in 5.1, you can select Dolby PLiix to mix the 5.1 into 7.1. Don't forget DSP is also necessary to implement bass management and any room correction (which I believe Emotiva calls Emo-Q) You might want to experiment with different surround modes for 2 channel audio as well. If analog bypass is important to you (if you have a high quality analog source that you want to have untouched by the UMC-1), the question to find out from Emotiva, is if the UMC-1 has a "Direct Mode" or "pure analog bypass" and if so, what inputs can it be used for.

I probably got a little off topic there, but hope that helps! :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back