What do you guys think is the over/under on my panels?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle Jack

Reaction score
Happy Halloween,
I have recently moved to a barrier island on the Southwest Florida coast. The Gulf of Mexico is literally a 1/2 mile away. Furthermore, I am a moronic cigarette smoker who also indulges in the occasional incense burning. My Aerius i's have been swell down here for years it is only that before I lived 10-15 minutes from the water. Now, backdoor.
Forgive the question if it seems silly. I honestly gave pause before ordering the Vantages given bad habits/coastal location.
Cheers,
Mark da newbie

Hello,
I am starting to realize how lacking/probably lame this post is. Call it a stream of consciousness thing. I know smoking is quite bad for electronics, panels especially. It is the living this close to the ocean thing that got me thinking. Most smoking is done outside. Poker night, Georgia football, and single malt just bring out the sinner in me and mine.
Cheers,
Mark

You could always wash the panels if you're worried about smoke on them. I think the high humidity living on the water is more of a problem for stats, almost necessitating panel washing every couple of years, especially with salt in the air which can eat at that metallic coating -- yikes! If at all possible, I think it would be nice if you can keep your listening closed off most of the time and perhaps buy a dehumidifier just for that room.

More anethema for the purists, but what the heck -
Mark, I smoke too, so I merely keep the storage covers that came with the speakers over them.
What to do for a fouled panel? Best listen to the experts here.
I also live in FL and do notice the effect of high humidity on the speakers. best advice is maybe just listen at the gloaming of the day when the winds are seaward.

A Little Preachy!

Actually you're worried about the wrong things. How the smoke will affect your speakers is immaterial, you should really worry about how it affects your LUNGS. Let's keep the focus on what's important and compared to your health audio is a distant hundredth or so.

Health Educator

Hello,
While I agree with your sentiment down to having a rx for Chantix (smoking cessation medication), really it is the living so close to the ocean thing that I question. Also, it seems darn near everything either causes cancer or contributes to global warming. What's a man to do.
Cheers,
Mark

Now I am worried. I do not smoke but I do burn incense and live across the street from water. Not a salty ocean but the brackish Chesapeake. Are my aeon i's in trouble? Nsgarch, what is panel washing? Can you actually get them wet? Sounds like concentrated humidity :). Is it time to move to the desert to save my children?

Hello All,
Well my Vantage's are in and all I can say is wow. I have taken TomDac's advice to heart and have moved all smoking related activites outside. Once, I learn how to upload pix and also make my wiring not look like a rat's nest I will post those.
Thanks to All,
Mark

Using this photo as reference, exchange the PC screen for the speakers, and smoke only while wearing the helmet. The speakers then will last indefinitely :D

toshiba_bubble_helmut_panorama_tv.jpg

Nice. Honestly the best chuckle of the day. And also would have made for an excellent haloween costume. Better than the blonde mullet wig I kicked for the ween anyway.
Cheers,
Televisionhead

Outstanding. Thank you for the link. I know the initial post might have been a typical newbie question. While I had concerns, I ultimately decided to get them. Smoking inside has always been a poker night issue. Cohiba's are simply crack. That being said, the amount invested in my system preceeding the Vantages was such that I knew it was stupid to smoke indoors period. Especially true living in Florida. In the three days I have had these set up I have been barely able to contain a silly grin while listening.
Cheers and thanks,
Mark

Back