Want to refinish my Sequel II's, what is this stuff?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattchristiani

Reaction score
I picked up a set of Sequel II's for a great price but the cabinets are in rough shape. I want to get this gummy stuff off the cabnets and refinish them in a nice gloss black. Any suggestions on how to get this black crap off the cabinets? Thanks for all your help.....Matt

Welcome fellow Michigan friend. Its toxic stuff in wet form. Its NEXTEL paint that was made by 3m IIRC. I would use regular paint striper to take them down. Then sand and prime real well. I repainted my old quest with a textured paint that went right over the Nextel paint after I smoothed it out with Rubbing Alcohol.

Here is the link to my rebuilding a pair !
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5697&highlight=quest+to+be+different

Where is Ceder MI.

I have the exact same issue. Jim Power forwarded me a link to the current Nextel manufacturer, and on their site, they advised a solvent-based stripper, commonly available at hardware stores and auto-body supplies. Tal-Strip is my favorite. Get the cabinets on saw-horses with poly sheeting to catch the mess, work a small area at a time, and wrap the waste well after letting it dry as much as possible. Rinse the cabinets very thoroughly with lacquer thinner before priming and painting. Keep a large fan going at all times!

Latest posts

Back