Vojtko crossover

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plt21

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've tried to do some research on the Vojtko crossovers utilized in the ESL series. All I have found on Google is the usual description that it's technology trickling down from the Statements E2's followed by some regurgitation of the very limited information provided on ML’s website. There is no information about it on this forum either, so if anyone has any information on its design and would like to share it in this forum, please do so.

Thank you.

From what I have read it is proprietary. I believe Joe Vojtko is one of the lead engineers at ML. You try and email them and see what information they can offer you., I would start with Jim Power who is the service manager at ML.

Good Luck and welcome:D

Jeff:cool:

I asked ML the question today. I will share their answer with everyone if it is informative.
What I am mainly interested in is the engineering thought behind it, what was the designer's goal, why was the Vojtko selected, what order is it, etc.

The engineering thought is to keep costs low. The components used in the Motion 10 are the cheapest way you can go if the crossover frequency is at 3000Hz. However, with the Motion 10, this is not a major problem, because even bi-wiring makes no sense: the "folded motion tweeter" is actually still a lot faster than the other two speakers, so bi-wiring would actually make things worse. ML actually saved money on the two paper-cone speakers; going down to 65Hz in a bass-reflex system means that the drivers are basic. In fact, I would prefer them in a closed box, because I need to have a subwoofer, anyway, and closed boxes at least provides more controlled sound than bass-reflex does (I am considering using a foam plug in the bass ports). The asymmetric box design clarifies sound, but I still would prefer to have quality components in the crossover.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back