Vista vs Source

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJRapp

Reaction score
Back in March we moved into a new home which allowed me the luxury of haveing a separate space for a 2 channel rig and a dedicated theater. I chose to spin my Summits off the HT for the 2 channel rig and now am very happy with that decision. However, at my dealers advice I purchased a pair of Mosaics to go with my Theater i in my smallish dedicated theater...bad choice as it turns out. So...I need to replace them with some form of esl...either the Vistas used or a pair of Source new. The Source are part of the Designer series but their technology is definitly esl. I haven't been able to a/b them against each other anywhere.

Any comments of recommendations would be appreciated!

Back in March we moved into a new home which allowed me the luxury of haveing a separate space for a 2 channel rig and a dedicated theater. I chose to spin my Summits off the HT for the 2 channel rig and now am very happy with that decision. However, at my dealers advice I purchased a pair of Mosaics to go with my Theater i in my smallish dedicated theater...bad choice as it turns out. So...I need to replace them with some form of esl...either the Vistas used or a pair of Source new. The Source are part of the Designer series but their technology is definitly esl. I haven't been able to a/b them against each other anywhere.

Any comments of recommendations would be appreciated!

Heard both and I would say that for the price, the Source is definitely hard to beat. I wouldn't hesitate going with the source for your HT, but a Vista would definitely be a move up obviously.

Vistas would be a fine choice, I am assuming that you have a subwoofer in the system.

The Source or Script i would be my second choice.

I agree the ML ATF speakers are a bad match for the ESLs, stay with ESLs all around, do not worry about the Design vs ESL series I think that is mostly a price / marketing distinction not an audio one.

I agree the ML ATF speakers are a bad match for the ESLs, stay with ESLs all around, do not worry about the Design vs ESL series I think that is mostly a price / marketing distinction not an audio one.

I have to disagree a tiny bit here. The original poster is using these speakers for HT. So, the center channel and the two front channels should be ESLs. However, the surround channels can be ATF because surrounds generally don't need to totally match the fronts in HT applications and usually just gets "zooming" sounds and ambient noise. Now, if he's planning on 5.1/7.1 music listening, then that's different. He could use the money saved from buying ATF and use it to buy NEW Vistas.

I have to disagree a tiny bit here. The original poster is using these speakers for HT. So, the center channel and the two front channels should be ESLs. However, the surround channels can be ATF because surrounds generally don't need to totally match the fronts in HT applications and usually just gets "zooming" sounds and ambient noise. Now, if he's planning on 5.1/7.1 music listening, then that's different. He could use the money saved from buying ATF and use it to buy NEW Vistas.

Agreed with you Thai...also, one of our best colaborators and a guitar player, in other words, a musician, uses between his CLSIIz a Fresco as a center channel and he loves what he listen. We all do know that the best is electrostatic, and I am going to say that the closest to the electrostatic, is the advance thin film. The ATF works as an electrostatic, but it is a dynamic speaker. The only thing that moves in it is the diaphragm...as the electrostatic, and the differece is that the film weights a little more. I would say, trust your ears, and not in specs...the ATF is a very different dynamic speaker. Also it is a dipolar as the electrostatic. Also, many of us here at the forum also combined both speakers...electrostatics and ATF. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
I'm now in this situation also,but a little deeper.I now have the scenario's for my fronts and the fresco for my center,and want to the move the scenario's to the rear.I want to replace them with the vista's and buy the motif for center duty.BUT now that there is a cheaper center with an esl,the matinee.Should i save alot of money and by the source for the fronts,and get the get the matinee for the center.If i do this which direction is my system going(am i upgrading from what i have to the source/matinee or am i just moving lateral.I think the vista/motif is best,but how much less sound quality am i getting with the source/matinee setup)?

Agreed with you Thai...also, one of our best colaborators and a guitar player, in other words, a musician, uses between his CLSIIz a Fresco as a center channel and he loves what he listen. We all do know that the best is electrostatic, and I am going to say that the closest to the electrostatic, is the advance thin film. The ATF works as an electrostatic, but it is a dynamic speaker. The only thing than moves in it is the diaphragm...as the electrostatic, and the differece is that the film weights a little more. I would say, trust your ears, and not in specs...the ATF is a very different dynamic speaker. Also it is a dipolar as the electrostatic. Also, many of us here at the forum also combined both speakers...electrostatics and ATF. Happy listening,
Roberto.

I will join you in agreeing with Thai. You were definitely not alluding to me, but I was a former professional classical musician. I think the fresco-i is one heck of an HT center channel. It doesn't have nearly the extension or output of, say, a JonFo Special :eek: , but what I do love about it is the ability with dialogue. Pretty much an utter lack of sibilance compared to so many other speakers. And in my limited comparative auditioning (something I've already mentioned here recently), I found that the ESL centers with a tweeter actually offered more sibilance.

Otoh, if I was a big enjoyer of multi-channel music, I would have ponied up for the ESL Stage or something. However, the fresco is only for HT in my case.

DrJRapp, sorry about the hijack. Not an easy predicament. I will also vote for the Vistas! If only because for that small chance you move into an even bigger home, set-up a 5.1 ESL tower multi-ch music room! :D (I think Rich might split on a pair of Summits with you:p ). Then the Vistas can be your rears. :drool:

Honestly I think you are looking at the wrong speakers, why not go right in the middle between the Source and the Vista and get the Purity. The panel on it is more similar to the Vista than to the Source and it's still an affordable solution and not hard to drive at all.

You will need a clean AND powerful amp for the Vistas, where as you'll need only a clean amp for the Purities or you can run it off no amp at all if you'd like.

I would get a pair of Purities and the Motif center channel, a Grotto i sub or a used Depth i if you can find one within your pirce range, and some Vignettes or Frescos for your rear.

Latest posts

Back