Vantage cabinet cracking...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkawall

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm on my second pair of Vantages, and have just noticed that each woofer cabinet has cracked on the front inside corner. My woofers were rattling so I checked the cabinets and there it is -- the plastic molding at the bottom of the metal grille cracked and shifting on each inside corner. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and whether it means simple replacement of a molding or something more involved. A terrific speaker and one I could listen to for days on end but I'm a bit annoyed at the workmanship at this price -- already had to glue veneer back into place on the right speaker. Aarrgh!!!

k

EDIT: It's the strip of molding at the base of the grille and not the cabinet proper.

Last edited:
Thats disheartening to hear. I would certainly f/u with your dealer or ML immediately. I can't imagine why they wouldn't repair or replace it. Also curious about the veneer issue. Did it spontaneously happen, or did something accidentally cause it? I would think ML would have likewise repaired/replaced the faulty finish under warranty.

Thats disheartening to hear. I would certainly f/u with your dealer or ML immediately. I can't imagine why they wouldn't repair or replace it. Also curious about the veneer issue. Did it spontaneously happen, or did something accidentally cause it? I would think ML would have likewise repaired/replaced the faulty finish under warranty.

Thanks for the reply -- I've contacted my dealer and sent an email along with pix to ML. I'm hoping it's a simple fix, since it appears to be a separate piece from the panel/steel grille. I'm not sure why they made it plastic, though, and pretty thin plastic at that. The veneering was the back of the right speaker where the two sides joined and yes, entirely spontaneous. I live in a pretty dry cold climate bit have a humidifed HVAC so I doubt it was that. It was easy to fix but I opted to do it myself since I didn't feel like humping these down from the 3rd floor again. These are splendid speakers, wonderful-sounding and IMHO amazingly easy to system-match given their extraordinary resolution. But I have to say, the Quad 21ls I replaced with these, at 1/5 the price, had far superior overall fit n' finish, as did the 1992 CLS IIs I auditioned prior to these -- solid hardwood frame. I just think that a 5000 USD loudspeaker ought to be flawlessly built and made to last. Plastic trim? In a weight-bearing position? Anyway, hopefully this will sort itself out. Don't mean to rant. Nice to drop in and see so much acitvity and excitement about these superb designs.

best,

k

Kirk,

Do you have a pic of this anomaly? I want to see but I cant picture what you're saying...

JOey

yes show us a pic for I too am some what confussed.....you said the cabinet cracked and the next sentence said it was the molding on grillwork ?????

Hi,

Yeah, I'll take some more pix today. Didn't mean to confuse. It's the plastic molding at the base of the grille on the front of the cabinet. The cracking is on each speaker on the inside corner. I hadn't investigated this part of the speaker since I had assumed the grille was one piece; ie., metal all the way down. Will take more pix this aft and will edit title of post to clarify. My apologies -- posted really because I'd seen references to this before so wanted to see if it was a known problem with the design.

k

Last edited:
I'd like to see the pix too. On the Summits, it appears the stat panel frame (if that's what you're referring to) *IS* all metal. Maybe there is a design/manufacturing problem with the Vantage.

I'd like to see the pix too. On the Summits, it appears the stat panel frame (if that's what you're referring to) *IS* all metal. Maybe there is a design/manufacturing problem with the Vantage.

From what I know the airframe on the Summits is all pure metal. The end caps are all from solid billet aluminum! On the Vantages, I've read that they are polymer.... perhaps "plastic".

Okay -- I'm a crap photographer with a stone-age camera but here's what I came up with. You can see the molding splintering and pulling away from the cabinet it's attached to. Does this help?

best,

k

Attachments

• tmpphpshsG6W-1.jpg
    tmpphpshsG6W-1.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 540
Great, one of my new ones is doing the same thing. I am so tired of messing with BS like this. My original order of Vistas resulted in getting one that was DOA. I will call ML directly and not bother my dealer with this unless I have to.

Great, one of my new ones is doing the same thing. I am so tired of messing with BS like this. My original order of Vistas resulted in getting one that was DOA. I will call ML directly and not bother my dealer with this unless I have to.

I'm sorry to hear it -- can you let us know what you learn when you call ML? It'd be nice if it was a simple part that could be sent directly to us and replaced by user. I had a DOA pair of Vantages but these new ones have been perfect up until now. Looks as though this might be a more general problem, though, in which case ML will want to know.

best,

k

I will be glad to let you know, but to be honest I am ready to scrap these new design logans. I have enough headaches without having to worry if my $5000 speakers are going to be junk or not. This pair has less than 70hrs on them. Maybe I will have to get a set of 803's instead.

I will be glad to let you know, but to be honest I am ready to scrap these new design logans. I have enough headaches without having to worry if my $5000 speakers are going to be junk or not. This pair has less than 70hrs on them. Maybe I will have to get a set of 803's instead.

Never been a B&W fan... Get a set of Prodigy for $5000 and be happy! Tried and true proven, solid performers. LOVE MINE! They are BIG though!

I just got off the phone with a very nice lady from ML. I explained my situation (DOA Vista, cracking Vantage) to her and she said they would be happy to fix the problem. I also said that I have been a ML owner for years and hate to say good-bye to the brand but I think that I would rather buy something else. My question was if they would credit my dealer the money if I took them back or would the dealer get stuck with them? See said she would credit my dealer, no problem but would hate to have me buy something else.

So I guess the ball is in my court. Do I spend more time fixing my $5000 set of speakers after getting a Vista that was DOA, or do I move on to something else? I hate to let these go but right now I am not sure what the best move is. I guess I am going to have to take some time to think about this.

I just got off the phone with a very nice lady from ML. I explained my situation (DOA Vista, cracking Vantage) to her and she said they would be happy to fix the problem.

Thanks for the update -- who did you speak to, if you don't mind my asking?

best,

k

Right -- have spoken to ML serrvice and it appears that this is known problem with speakers shipped a year or so ago when the shipping foam was out of specc, resulting in a shifting cabinet and a plastic molding that would not flex accordingly so that it eventually cracked. Replacement parts can be supplied and I'll let you know how the fix progresses if it comes to that.

best,

k

Could this also maybe happen when grabbing them by the stators for toe-in / moving ?

Hi,

It's possible -- I always move mine using the base of the cabinet and never the stators so I don't rrally put pressure on this plastic strut. Since many of us reposition our 'Logans fairly regularly it seems like this part ought to be made of a different material if it is to be repeatedly stressed. Most speakers with plinths I'm aware of use metal as the material. Anyway, I guess I'll try to replace these and see how it goes. Kudos to Jim Power as always for his quick and helpful response.

best,

k

Could this also maybe happen when grabbing them by the stators for toe-in / moving ?

Oh, I bet it would. The older style speakers won't have this problem...but the new ones have a better WAF and are starting to grow on me. I would break mine moving them around from time to time I bet. I think I'll just stick w/ the Prodigy and Ascent! Oh, and of course the MBL 101's too! :D Just had to throw that in. Can't help but stare at them every time I pass by them in the house!:rocker:

Back