upgradre / améliorations / sl3 full origine 1998

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrice

Reaction score
Good morning all,

this message from Paris.

I have since 1998 ML SL3 (passive) that still work well.
With
-ampli + preamp: linn
-disk: linn LP12
-Dac TEAC UD 501
-PC + J RIVER

The SL3 are totally original, mylar too. Dusted regularly and never washed in the shower.
they are a few years now and I'm looking for how to upgrade my sl3 filter side.
the components are aging and I think that it may be necessary to change some parts.
The components evolve and it may be possible to find corrections to boost my sl3 (a small facelift).

If you have advice I'm listening.

Sorry if my language is incorrect, but my English is not good.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Patrice

No matter how nicely you have taken care of your panels, if they have been exposed to the air, they have been degrading. Mine were getting darker and darker sounding over the years, and about 4 yeas ago, I pulled them apart and hosed them down. No this is not for the faint of heart. In doing this you can possibly destroy them, but my SL3's were unlistenable as they were. If I ruined them, I was willing to pay for new panels. But luckily.... the washing really helped. They do not sound like new, but they are much better, and enjoyable now. I say this to you only because I believe the frustration you may have about the sound is not due to the crossovers. M-L did not put electrolytic caps in the signal path. The poly caps in the crossover are not the weak link in the sound, I believe. I am actually considering new panels at this point, because I (and my wife) still love the look of the SL3's, more so than the newer M-L's. Best of luck.... let us know what you do.

Back