Upgrading Amp Capacitors To Blackgates

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Osib

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experience with installing Blackgate capacitors in their power amps? I have just bought a large batch (20) of these caps to install in my Odyssey Stratos Monos Extremes. They will be replacing Nichicon and Sanyo caps. What sort of improvement can I expect to hear?

What sort of experience are you looking for? Soldering and unsoldering? If you have the right values (and voltage rating) for the caps, that's all it takes, assuming they fit in the same space.

I have the correct values for the caps. The Blackgates will fit in. I'm going to pay somebody I know at a hifi repairs shop to solder them in for me. I'm also going to replace the INPUT and OUTPUT wiring with something exotic like NEOTECH cable.

I'm curious what degree of improved sonics does one normally expect from such an upgrade? Is it really worth voiding an amps warranty (unless the mod/upgrade is done by the manufacturer)? Personally, I would not invest time and $$ in such an upgrade until I've maxed out on room acoustics and source upgrades.

Dan,

I would not worry about capacitor upgrades unless your amps are really old. I would also not take that article serious. The only valid test method is to have two identical devices, modify one and put enough hours on it so it can be compared with the stock one. I quickly scanned over the article. As far as I can see the author just modified his amp and some players, then waited "several tens of hours" for the caps to run in, then assessed the improvements. That is not credible.

For what it's worth

I upgraded the caps in my CAL Sigma II DAC with Black Gates (all but two that is, as Black Gate does not make those values). I dropped about $200 on them. On powering up and listening, no difference, so I figured that was $200 down the drain, and promptly forgot about it. Then, weeks later it suddenly occurred to me that CD's seemed to sound very much better, and this was from another room. Purely subjective and non-scientific, but they did make a difference.

How does one assess an 8% improvement in sound? Boggles the mind.

BTW do you REALLY want to make an improvement? If you have a cheap ALPS volume control in your preamp, replace it with a DACT stepped attenuator. That is a $200 improvement you will hear immediately.

I have a 50W tube amp with 12 Rubycon (though NOT black gates) caps in it. One went, and a friend replaced all 12 with some non-descript brand. Result? Disaster! It sounded terrible after it! Really! So I soldered in the remaining 11 good Rubycons. Happiness again. Phew!

So the effect can be VERY substantial.

Bernard's stepped attenuator is a VERY good idea... Alps pots go noisey after a while anyway, and wiper based pots just aren't that good soundwise anyway. I once had a Mod Squad preamp. The balance control was either dis-engaged, or when you moved it to engage and effect a balance change, you could instantly hear the sonics degrade!!!

The caps in the amp that you want to substitute... are they the power supply electrolytics or the coupling and bypass caps in the audio pathways? If you want to "roll caps" the best bang for the buck would be the caps in the signal path IMO.

The guy from Aberdeen Components told me the latest Rubycon capacitors are the new Black Gates of today.

I'm changing all the medium and small sized capacitors only. The largest caps I'm leaving alone. Black Gate didn't make suitable replacements for the largest ones.

User211,
I've got Black Gates (K and STANDARD Series).

I've attached a pic of my power amp internals below. I've labelled the ones I'm going to change:

Attachments

• IMG_7443b.jpg
    IMG_7443b.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 230
I've attached a pic of my power amp internals below. I've labelled the ones I'm going to change:
Those are electrolytic caps, and they'll likely be power-supply related; mostly in the bias supply and for cathode bypass, etc. The little white, brick-shaped caps will be the signal & bypass caps, and possibly for parasitic oscillation snubbers. Electrolytics are noisy, and any upgrades like you're doing will be noticeable. Next up I'd recommend trying different signal caps. I've had good results with Auricaps.

Below is a list of internals already inside my amps:-

1. "SE" upgrades, which most importantly consist of Vishay
resistors, Vishay Dale Silver Micas, Nichicon Muse ES's, Fairchild
HexFred's for the bridge, etc.
2. Internal cable upgrade, input and output cables are Groneberg
Quattro Reference

Fairchild
HexFred's for the bridge
I did the hexfred thing too to my DAC; the improvements were immediately noticeable.

After all that work on my DAC I realized recently that its output is buffered using crappy 741 op amps. There is a company that makes op amps using discretes, and they claim that it makes a huge difference. BUT, that upgrade would cost me...you guessed it....$200. I think I'm done upgrading the DAC; it's really long in the tooth.

HexFred's for the bridge, etc.
HexFreds are an excellent upgrade! I did that for my vintage Mac pre-amp and the difference was huge. Of course, ancient selenium diodes are shockingly noisy, so the benefit for me was proportionately rather higher than most.:music:

Back