Vista capacitor replacement advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob606

Reaction score
Greetings and salutations MLO members! I am in need of some capacitor advice for my Vistas. As they are getting long in the tooth I'd like to refresh them by first replacing the caps and maybe....just maybe...clean the panels if the new caps fail to make a discernible improvement. That being said, does anyone have any advice on what to use and where to get them? Also, this novice audiophile would welcome any advice or opinions on improving the Vistas or electostats in general.
Kind regards,
Rob

"Clean the panels"? Something going on? Or just upgrade fever? The caps are FINE.

Thanks for the response Tosh!

I'm running them with a Krell 250a and I have to bump the volume up quite a bit to get an immersive experience. These are the second set of electrostats I've owned. The first pair I had were the entry-level esl's. I instantly fell in love with the sound and quickly moved into a larger panel (Vista's). The first pair ran on a Denon AVR pushing 150w @4ohms. I remember them sounding fine at moderate levels however, they were a smaller speaker all around.

Having bought these used several years ago, I'm not familiar with the environment in which they were kept. I just want to be sure I'm getting everything out of them I possibly can. I'm breaking them down to renew the veneer and since I have them apart I thought I'd look into a refurbishment for optimal sound. What I don't know is what these should sound like new. They seem to loose a little sparkle at the higher frequencies. This was drastically apparent after I moved my ML 35xt's in their place. The highs were extremely crisp. So I went to the forums and everything I've read points to either caps (considering their age) or dirty panels. Thought I'd look to the caps first in hopes that I wouldn't have to wash the panels.

Sorry for the long windedness. Just thought a bit of backstory would be helpful.
Please share your sage advice my friend!

All the caps in the ESL portion are already film caps, so no refurb is possible there. There is an electrolytic cap parallel to the woofer, but it won't affect your top end.
So, yes, it could be that your panels are so dirty that they are either not holding HV charge, or the charge is bleeding off via a dirty path.
With my ESLs the main enemy is spider droppings and exploded insects, and this past month when bugs move inside there can be new 'splats' every day. I get out my magnifiers, special soft brush, and vacuum very thoroughly, esp at the top surface of the spars where dirt settles.
But there can be other airborne contaminants like cooking fumes, tobacco smoke, ocean humidity, etc that can build up and cause the panel to not hold charge, and that is probably the fate of every ESL in the long term.
You should note that showering them is a LAST resort and that the panel sandwich is vulnerable to separation and stator movement, so keep them held together if you try.
Are they both faded in the top end by the same level? Try swapping them L to R to see if one is noticeably worse, which might indicate something other than normal dirt build-up.
All for now!

Sincerest appreciation Tosh! In addition to what you mentioned about the panels separating, is there any irreparable harm that can be done by washing them. I have a R/O D/I system I will be using for the wash and rinse water. Very low pressure of course. Should I stay away from cleaning agents? I have some mild ph neutral cleaners I can use.

You've read the shower thread right? Lots of opinion in there on detergents and water chemistry, and I have never done this myself, but only followed along in ESL and ML history...
To me it appears the original ESL panels made from self-adhesive foam stators are most susceptible to dirt build-up and breakdown, while the later glued clear spar Gen2 and later panels like Vista are more sturdy and easier to keep clean by just vacuuming.
Washing them definitely removes the additional graphite coating (which acts as an additional method of holding HV charge), and seeing the runoff from that would make you think they were really dirty. I expect getting them really dry before playing them again is the challenge for you here.

If you think they are not getting a good even charge across the whole surface (move your head around to listen) then try squeezing and massaging the panel together to try to improve the charge, esp at the edge where the wire join the panel where there is a copper strip along one edge. (if Vista has that strip?)

Tosh, thanks again for the help! I have read the shower thread here and on other forums. It seems there are so many differing opinions. I'm apprehensive only because of my lack of experience with electrostats. It could be that they sound just like they should. However, the difference in the highs compared to my 35xt's was just staggering. Totally different speaker of course - ribbon tweater and only a couple years old. So I think I will take DDzCLX's advice and start with the crossover caps, perform a thorough vacuuming and have a listen. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your advice with me.

Going after new caps on a speaker with other issues is like searching for your car keys under the streetlamp because it's brighter there.

Back