Turntable high frequency is rolled off...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sambob2

Reaction score
When listening to my turntable setup, I have a noticeable lower level of high frequencies, a high frequency roll-off as though there is a thin blanket over the speakers if you will. This has always persisted and is not something that just happened overnight or over a short period of time. The deficiency is most noticeable with cymbals and any sound with high frequency harmonics. All my other sources cassette, CD player, Reel to reel, play music fine which leads me to think something needs tweaking in the vinyl chain.

Here’s the setup chain, Benz Micro Glider M2 (moving coil cartridge – medium output at 0.8mV, internal impedance of 38Ω, fairly new with 50 to 60 hours on it), SME 3009 Series III tone arm, Audioquest diamondback interconnect, Audio Research PH3 Phono Preamp (Bought used, however serviced by Audio Research before I received shipment of the unit, complete with new ARC selected 6922 EH Electro-Harmonix Russian tubes also with about 50 to 60 hours on it), Audioquest Diamondback interconnect, Audio Research LS-15 Pre Amp with the high gain option 18dB in lieu of 12dB. Speakers are Martin Logan ReQuest purchased new October of 1999). By the way, the ReQuests are still singing clear and bright as other sources prove. I’ve tried changing the cartridge load resistors in the PH3 in the hopes that it would load the cartridge and transfer the signal to the pre amp better but did not notice a change at all in frequency, soundstage width, height or depth, bass level, articulation, extension, mids, highs, overall volume or level, noise, distortion, not anything. The load resistors from ARC included 30, 60, 100, 200, and 800 ohms. Apparently the Benz is fine with the ARC PH3 47K Ω input impedance. I’ve also swapped the Audioquest cables with MIT 6 interconnects without any change. I’ve played the same recordings of both the record and CD same label, company, year, and pressing with dramatic differences in the high end. I minimized all system differences outside of the load resistor or cable swap, by changing one thing at a time. I also played the same track during each of the changes noted above. Eventually, I tried other recordings just to rule out the record I was using as a standard reference, only to find the same result.

I’m open for suggestions. To me this only leaves a few things that could be at fault. The cartridge may still not be broken in, the PH3 has an inherent darker high end, or the tubes need to be rolled to something brighter. I am a little hesitant on using different tubes since the PH3 is “voiced” from ARC using the 6922’s, however if I can find someone with success at this issue by changing out to a different tube set then I would be interested in knowing that. My preference to the “sound” of the system is more forward, a bit more high frequency gain than what I am getting now in the phono section, with solid bass yet nice high end that does not sound like a blanket is covering the speakers. (do not confuse the high frequency gain with the cartridge output as I am fine with the medium output Benz in combination with the LS-15’s higher gain).

Perhaps I should consider a new pre amp altogether? Perhaps a solid state or newer ARC tube pre amp? How does the PH5 compare to the PH3? Does the PH5 also use the 6922 tubes? Anyone have the same experience with their setup and switch to another phono pre amp, if so what and what were your observations?

I have to mention that I am considering an upgrade path for the phono pre amp as well as the line stage pre amp. I would like to consider an ARC PH5 along with a LS-26 in black to replace the PH3 and LS-15 someday as the luxury funds allow. I am open to other makes or type of phono sections however. CD player stays as is for a log time, it is an ARC CD-7.

Thanks for reading and your comments or suggestions,
Sam

I've no direct experience with the PH-3 so your theory might be on the money. Something else to (re)check is your cartridge alignment, tracking weight, and especially VTA. Rolled off highs might be a sign that your VTA is a bit too low, so try raising the rear of your tonearm a bit to see if that helps.

Rich Teer, thank you very much for your advice! It worked!

All the time since you’ve posted I’ve been tooling around with the table adjustments you’ve recommended. What great advice as it has opened up the turntable side of my system so much! I have done quite a few tweaks to the table including the use of a Mint Tractor protractor to get my total effective length overhang right and that made a big difference itself. However it did not make a change to the upper frequency loss I was experiencing. Although I did eye my VTA according to the SME manual, it is not enough to leave that alone. By eye my tonearm appeared parallel to the surface of a medium thickness record. The cartridge however is another story. As you may know, the Benz Micro series of cartridges does not have a flat bottom to eye up against the record surface, so trying to get the cartridge body parallel to the record is impossible. This is why I strongly recommend that VTA is completed by the way the system sounds. Get it in the ballpark by eye and then adjust by sound. Just for the sake of it, I lowered the arm to a very low position and gave it a listen. Wow, it took no time at all to tell it was muddy and slow! I did a Google search for VTA adjustment read a few and tried to stay on a systematic schedule of making adjustments to avoid losing focus.

I used Pink Floyd’s Wish you were here album for all my test and tune. I find Shine On You Crazy Diamond and Welcome to The Machine great for this as it contains a lot of variation in dynamics, frequencies, and bass. I did pay special attention to the instruments in the background as they would tell me a lot about the soundstage, depth and placement of the instruments. Form the very beginning few minutes of the mellow start, Richard Wrights keyboards playing the underlying keyboard in Shine On You Crazy Diamond just memorized me as I could hear all of the notes much clearer and place it now. The cymbals of Nick Masons drum kit are now in the room with me rather than the bathroom with the door closed…the shimmering sibilance of the cymbals is back! Speaking of in the room, Dick Parry’s sax solo near the end of the first side Shine On You Crazy Diamond, was scary in the room with me…in fact I had to open my eyes for a few seconds to avoid freaking out! By the way, I am referring to the Columbia 33453 pressing of this album. The next track, Welcome to the Machine has a fantastic intro which really puts emphasis on the system to reproduce some intense bass and dynamics, along with a shrilling buzz sound from Wrights keyboard, wow it was there in the room too! A little further into Welcome to The Machine is a set of large tom-toms or kettle drums (not sure) that Mason pounds out. I never noticed the energy from this part of the track before…only heard it, but now I can feel it as well! Yes they are set and appear to be in the rear of the soundstage but they are there and have some heft to them now.

In addition to changing the VTA of my SME tonearm, I also went and adjusted the tracking force. I initially set it to the mid point of what Benz recommended. I found out that lowering it produced additional gains in sound and clarity. I will continue to lower it until I hear miss-tracking or distortion, then back off on it to a slightly higher setting.

All in all this was pin point advice from Rich and I appreciate it a lot! Thank you Rich. Now that I have dialed in the system to a rough degree, I have to fine tune. And then listen to a few more of my favorite albums…

Sam, Glad to hear of your improvement as suggested by Rich. With that being said I believe I can offer you another area of improvement........ ditch the AQ Diamondback IC's, I was using (except for table and arm) the same setup as you when I switched over to shielded 'magnet wire' (made for me by 'sonny' over on the audiocircle forum) and a very decernable difference was noted at both lower and upper octaves.

For the record those that know me on this forum know that I'm not one to 'go nuts' over 'wire' but I do believe the IC's between TT-phono-pre-preamp to be some of the most critical.

As for your lusting for the PH-5 and LS-26 setup, that's my current configuration and I've no desire to upgrade for quite sometime.

Good Luck !

Rich Teer, thank you very much for your advice! It worked!

You're very welcome, and I'm glad I could help!

In addition to changing the VTA of my SME tonearm, I also went and adjusted the tracking force. I initially set it to the mid point of what Benz recommended. I found out that lowering it produced additional gains in sound and clarity. I will continue to lower it until I hear miss-tracking or distortion, then back off on it to a slightly higher setting.

Make sure that you don't go below the manufacturer's recommended minimum VTF setting. Also, be aware that records are probably damaged more often by tracking too lightly than too hard (the stylus chatter caused by mistracking is very hard on vinyl).

By adjusting your VTF, you're actually also making adjustments to the VTA. Tracking at a lighter weight has the same effect on VTA as raising the rear of the arm (perhaps even more so).

Thanks Dave, I'll look into that as well. I am not one to go nuts over wires either but I do believe a good well made set, good contacts and workmanship, with good shielding is worth a little extra cost. In addition as you said, I think it matters much more given the low level of the signal that is passing thru at this point in the chain.

Yeah Dave...I was waiting to see if your pre and phono were going up for sale anytime soon...lol! Oh well...you do know there is an LS-27 out now...

After all this adjustment, you should see me now, I'm like a little kid in a candy shop freaking out..."this is gonna be great!"

Rich, thanks...yes I am aware of going to low or high with the tracking force. What I am looking for here is the extreme points and then settle somewhere in the middle. I'll recheck the vertical tracking angle while finding that sweet spot in the VTF.

Sam

Latest posts

Back