Thrilled with recent upgrade

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,
I bought a lightly used set of Clarity's combined with a Grotto sub that I've been using with a Harmon Kardon HK 3490 stereo receiver about 10 years ago. I recently bought a well cared for pair of Ascents sold by a local audiophile that have replaced the Clarity's. The bigger soundstage and amazing detail is a huge upgrade from the Clarity's. I'm pretty happy with my current HK receiver which puts out 150 wpc into the 4 ohms. The system lives in my 400 sq. ft. great room with high ceilings. Definitely the best speakers I've owned. It gives me a peek through the door of what true audiophiles must be after (I'm a total amateur).

I recently upgraded my living room home theater system with an Emotiva 4 channel amp (100 wpc) going through my Yamaha Atventage receiver so I could bi amp my floor standing front speakers. I was disappointed that I could hear no difference in sound quality over the previous non bi amped setup using the receiver alone. Thus I'm in no hurry to do the same with the Ascent's. I would be open to adding an equalizer to the receiver as it only has bass and treble adjustments.

The Clarity's replaced my bookshelf speakers in my home office. They look ridiculous , but sound great!

Just curious about whether you bypassed the passive crossovers.
Pease excuse my ignorance. I had to do a little research on passive crossovers before replying. Also, presume you're referring to the comment about bi wiring the home theater fronts (Energy RC 70b). No I did not open up the speaker to by pass the speaker's crossovers.

Pease excuse my ignorance. I had to do a little research on passive crossovers before replying. Also, presume you're referring to the comment about bi wiring the home theater fronts (Energy RC 70b). No I did not open up the speaker to by pass the speaker's crossovers.

I was wondering why you didn't hear a big difference and that explains it. Still, the extra headroom is nice to have when you crank up the volume.

Hello all,
I bought a lightly used set of Clarity's combined with a Grotto sub that I've been using with a Harmon Kardon HK 3490 stereo receiver about 10 years ago. I recently bought a well cared for pair of Ascents sold by a local audiophile that have replaced the Clarity's. The bigger soundstage and amazing detail is a huge upgrade from the Clarity's. I'm pretty happy with my current HK receiver which puts out 150 wpc into the 4 ohms. The system lives in my 400 sq. ft. great room with high ceilings. Definitely the best speakers I've owned. It gives me a peek through the door of what true audiophiles must be after (I'm a total amateur).

I recently upgraded my living room home theater system with an Emotiva 4 channel amp (100 wpc) going through my Yamaha Atventage receiver so I could bi amp my floor standing front speakers. I was disappointed that I could hear no difference in sound quality over the previous non bi amped setup using the receiver alone. Thus I'm in no hurry to do the same with the Ascent's. I would be open to adding an equalizer to the receiver as it only has bass and treble adjustments.

The Clarity's replaced my bookshelf speakers in my home office. They look ridiculous , but sound great!

Even more thrilled! I seem to be getting luckier in my old age (good things come to those that wait:). I've recently purchased an almost new pair of Expression 13A's (only about 22 hrs on the speakers) for $8000. They came complete with original boxes and the local owner even threw in the ARC kit. I'm running them with the same very modest HK amp as above. I thought the Ascents sounded great, but these are at a whole other level. The speakers seem to disappear, and I'm hearing subtleties even the Ascent's couldn't produce. Obviously I need to up my game with my other components ( I've been perusing the forum for suggestions). The wonderfully generous former owner has indicated that he'll set me up with an amp and pre amp from his collection, so I'm in no hurry to buy. I thought at first I would purchase two Emotiva mono block amps paired with their XDA pre amp DAC. My benefactor is discouraging me, as in his opinion, the sound and quality are not what the speakers deserve. He is also of the opinion that a good DAC is the heart of a good system, so the quality of that component is essential. At any rate I'm full of gratitude for my situation and the wonderful high ceilinged 400 sq. ft. great room I get to listen to these speakers in. I wish all the forum members such good fortune.

P.S. The Ascents are now my mains on either side of a 65" home theater TV set up. Like the Clarity's in the home office, they look a little ridiculous, but continue to sound great!

Attachments

• IMG_0236.jpeg
    IMG_0236.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Am I an audiophile yet? Just bought this amp and preamp combo from the great guy who sold me the Expressions. Much more muscular and rich sound compared to the HK 3490. Getting some nice Audioquest inter connects and a Cambridge streamer (with USB A & B inputs) to complete the system. Feel like I've entered audio heaven:)
IMG_1025.jpeg

Back