Thinking of buying new headphones.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out the Schiit BiFrost. It's getting great reviews on HeadFi. That would be the absolute minimum I would do with your new system. I'm using the Arcam rDAC for its great USB implementation but it would not do justice to your system.
How about a PS Audio DLIII? Tried it in my headphone system and it blew me away. Had to put it back into my main system and settled on the rDAC (which I'm really enjoying)

Part of my new Head-Fi system will be a dedicated DAC. This is a new area for me as I have always used the built-in DAC of the player. In doing some research I’m thinking of getting a TEAC UD-H01. Anyone have any experience with this DAC? Any others I should consider? My budget is limited as I have blown most of it on the headphone and amp. So around $500 – 700.

Last edited:
No pressure but on your recommendation I did order a PS audio DAC. I hope to have it in a few days. Thanks.

Got the Sennheiser HD-800 today. Should get the DAC tomorrow and the amp sometime next week :rocker:

Attachments

• 2012-08-15_16-18-42_310.jpg
    2012-08-15_16-18-42_310.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 535
The PS audio DAC came in today. So the head-fi system is coming together well. But now I'm looking for a red-book transport. Anyone have the Woo Audio WTP-1. I need slim like the Woo audio setup to fit on my stand. Also it will be good if it is silver in color. Anyone have any thoughts on this transport or any ideas. I don’t want to spend more than $1000.00.

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wtp1.html

Thanks

I’m almost done with putting together my Head-Fi system. So far it is sounding amazing. The Ray Samuels EMMELINE II “The Raptor” was the way to go. This is a wonderful headphone amp. I should get the new Lexicon transport this week.

Attachments

• DSC00955.jpg
    DSC00955.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 659
  • DSC00957.jpg
    DSC00957.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 616
Sweet.. coming together nicely! How do you like the DLIII?
Once you get your Lexicon, just need to recable the HD800 :devil:

The DLIII is very impressive. I like the up sampling. Once I get the transport I will need to try out some 24/196 audio.
I have been looking at some cardas cables. Before I get this I have to re load some funds. New camera equipment and the Head-fi system has tapped me out.

Awesome! (pressure relieved :D) Cardas headphone cables are so last decade. There are a number of newer companies that hand build custom cables out there that you should check out.
- Toxic Cable - http://toxic-cables.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_60
- ALO Audio - http://www.aloaudio.com/headphone-cables-en/sennheiser-hd800-cables/
- Moon Audio http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables/moon-audio-headphone-cables.html
... seem to be some of the favorites ... again, check out Head-Fi for some of the reviews ... I'll probably end up with one of the Toxic cables for my HD700's (already have a set for my HE400's) ...

mmmmm.. camera gear.. been into photography for over 30 years and worked part-time in a camera store for 10 years to pay for the bad boy hobby..

The DLIII is very impressive. I like the up sampling. Once I get the transport I will need to try out some 24/196 audio.
I have been looking at some cardas cables. Before I get this I have to re load some funds. New camera equipment and the Head-fi system has tapped me out.

Audio and photography hobbies can run up a tab quickly. I just got a new Sony NEX7, Voightlander Nokton 50mm f/1.1 lens and some Sony alpha lenses. This has done some damage to my wallet.

Last edited:
Attached is a picture of my final Head-fi setup. I’m very happy with the sound. The sound stage takes a bit of getting used to. However, the level of detail is amazing. It is like listening to some of my CD collection all over again.

I do need a new table for all the equipment. My Eileen Gray side table is no home for this kind of a setup. Total weight is almost 40 lbs.

I use the Lexicon RT-20 as a transport and a SACD player. When I play SACDs I use the Lexicon's internal DAC and for Redbook and DVD-A I use the external DLIII. I will be building a more humble headphone setup in my bedroom. For this will use an external amp/DAC combo.

Thanks for everyone’s input. It was all a big help.

Attachments

• Final Head-Fi.jpg
    Final Head-Fi.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 262
Audio and photography hobbies can run up a tab quickly. I just go a new Sony NEX7, Voightlander Nokton 50mm f/1.1 lens and some Sony alpha lenses. This has done some damage to my wallet.

Ha! I bet that Voightlander looks HUGE on your NEX7!!! Supposed to be a pretty good lens, though. And a heck of a lot less expensive than the Leica Noctilux!

Yes, Voightlander is huge and heavy. Messes with the balance of the NEX7. If the lens set at F2.0 or higher all the images are tack sharp. At F1.1 the pictures are too blown out almost like the subject is glowing. In very low light this is not an issue. At F1.1 the depth of field is so shallow maybe 2 inches at best. Makes from some very cool effects in very low light.
No way can I afford the Leica Noctilux. I understand they have a F0.95 for $10,000.00. This is used car money or honey I’m leaving you money.

Last edited:
No way can I afford the Leica Noctilux. I understand they have a F0.95 for $10,000.00. This is used car money or honey I’m leaving you money.

Yeah, it's crazy expensive, unlike their regular lenses which are just ridiculously expensive. Incredible quality, though. I have an M9 and a few of their lenses. At some point I am going to bite the bullet and get the 50mm f/1.4 Summilux.

Back