Theos or vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macallan

Reaction score
Heard theos and really like how would they compare to Vantage?

Theos is a passive woofer and Vantage active woofer. I love my Theos, and personally think they sound better then the Vantage. But I also bought a Depth i with my Theos to make the bass better then it already was.

Hola...MMM I think that the Ethos is the one that has a passive woofer. Theos does not. This is what ML says about the bass section of the Theos: 8" (20.3cm) cast basket, high excursion, aluminum cone with extended throw drive assembly, non-resonance asymmetrical chamber format, down-firing bass reflex port. And for the Ethos says: 8" (20.3cm) cast basket, high excursion, aluminum cone with extended throw drive assembly, non-resonance asymmetrical chamber format. 8" (20.3cm) cast basket, high excursion, polypropylene cone passive radiator.
My liking and vote is for the Vantage, because it has a self 200W power amplifier to drive the woofer. To my ears, the bass if more robust and easy to adjust, due to the +-10dB adjusting knob at 35Hz for standing waves of the room. Also, the system power amplifier will drive only the panel section, not the woofer. Also a reason why has better sensitivity too. The panel is almost the same size and I think are equal. Haqppy listening.

Last edited:
Thank you. You can actually get the Vantage for much less if buying used. I was just curious how similar the panel would be as I agree the bass should be better on the vantage

The appear to be very similar speakers. Stats wise, the Theos has a slightly larger panel while the Vantage has slightly better frequency response.

I think you need a stronger/better amp for the Theos, and a sub. You will likely want a sub for the Vantage as well so that may be a wash, unless you don't plan on having a sub at all. Though I would think with the better low end, you'll have an easier time tuning in a Vantage with a sub.

Brand new right now they are about similar in cost right now...so if you have a solid amp, and have a solid sub...you can go for the Theos. If any of the 2 conditions don't fit for you, I'd go for the Vantage.

You may need to give the Vantage a listen to really decide :).

Back