The Real Frozen Tundra !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Well Joey asked for Pics upon my return from Moosehead Lake in North Central Maine and I've got a few to share.

The weather was superb, riding was the best I've had in my 30 plus years of sledding, we logged nearly twelve hundred miles last week. Saw plenty wildlife, deer, turkey and had a couple of Moose come out to greet us on the trail !

Attachments

• IMG_0835.JPG
    IMG_0835.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0821.JPG
    IMG_0821.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0818.JPG
    IMG_0818.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0815.JPG
    IMG_0815.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 134
Freakin' awesome, Dave!

Someone else should've taken the camera so I could see you in the pic! I love the correctly spelled moniker on your windshield btw... :).

Someone else should've taken the camera so I could see you in the pic!

Sorry.....so you wanna see a pic of the "ole' man" !

Attachments

• IMG_0814.JPG
    IMG_0814.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 125
Dave, looks like a fun time was had by all. Those sleds look a little more advanced than the ones I rode in North Dakota, back in the '70s!

Dave, looks like a fun time was had by all. Those sleds look a little more advanced than the ones I rode in North Dakota, back in the '70s!

Steve, That's an understatement ! The Yammie 440 I rode back in 1974 had the gas tank between the engine and the front bumper, the only way you could get the thing to turn was to keep the gas level in the tank at least above the half way mark.

Todays sleds have suspension and handling that are light years ahead of what we rode three decades ago. Considering my first "new" sled I owned
(1979 Kawasaki 340) cost $900 and today one can spend 9-13k, it's gotten to be rather exspensive.

Sweet Dave!

Just be careful, we don't want you hurting yourself out there. How many hobbies do you have, man??

Wally World?

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Come down to Cocoa Beach and I'll set you up on my 10' Longboard. It was 80.f here last week. Surf was 3-5 ft.

Satch

Ok, that second pic has the bluest sky I have ever seen. Would love to see that around Chicago about now.

That pic, which shows the face of Mt Kineo, has my sled and my sons positioned at the deepest part of the lake, 250' deep.

Great pics Dave. They bring back many cold but good memories.

My wife and I lived in Maine for !2 years. I is a beautiful part of the country. What you are experiencing is the reason we moved to Florida. There were summers that you would have 8 weeks of sunshine. If you like cold and snow its your place.
At one time we lived on an island 3 miles into the Atlantic. During the big winter storms I would prop a chair under the door knob to a deck outside our bedroom. I can't tell you how many times during the middle of the night I would wake up and run bare foot to kick a snow drift out of the door way to close the door. Yea the things we will put up with in our youth.
Looks like you had a great time. Please post more pics when you have time.

Looks like you had a great time. Please post more pics when you have time.

Brad, per your request.....

Sorry for the "hind end" shot of the Moose, but when your traveling at 60 per and they jump out on the trail....well first you gotta get stopped and then open ones jacket to get the camera !

The distance shot you might recognize as Mt Kathadin, tallest point in Me.

and the "Quater Moon" lodge I had to put in not because it's in Me, it's not, rather the Tug Hill region of NY state, but because of you mentioning the snow blowing in situation you faced while in Me. Same thing with this place, except the night my son and I slept in there in went to 34 below farenheight !

Attachments

• PICT0048.JPG
    PICT0048.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 61
Thanks for the pics Dave.
Better to see the mooses butt than to have him come take your sled away from you.
Any one that likes the woods and nature needs to take a trip to Maine. There is a lot of untouched land there.

Latest posts

Back